• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts on eBay seller:montre48 goods on offer?

Everything looks flawless, so refinished. Intriguing to me because he is Canadian based.

Your thoughts? Don’t know how to link a sellers items for sale. Sorry.

I bought a stainless steel '70s Seamaster very cheaply from him earlier this year. I've worn it frequently since I got it and have no complaints about the watch. It's extremely clean and I have a feeling it was very heavily polished but that doesn't bother me as much as it does others as the angles are still there and quite sharp.

I will note that the watch actually shipped from Korea and I think the Canadian location is just a pass through address for returns and other customs shenanigans. If I had paid more for the watch or if it was something more collectable than the one I got, that might make me a bit more skeptical.

CanadaCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought a stainless steel '70s Seamaster very cheaply from him earlier this year. I've worn it frequently since I got it and have no complaints about the watch. It's extremely clean and I have a feeling it was very heavily polished but that doesn't bother me as much as it does others as the angles are still there and quite sharp.

I will note that the watch actually shipped from Korea and I think the Canadian location is just a pass through address for returns and other customs shenanigans. If I had paid more for the watch or if it was something more collectable than the one I got, that might make me a bit more skeptical.

Kind of my thoughts. Worth a go on something real cheap, or a true PMW, but certainly not on something pricier.
The fact it didn’t ship from canada is a pure turn off for me.

Thanks for the comments

ErikW

Reaction score
I read a bit about him on some forums. Apparently does a lot of restoration. So nice if you want a shiny noncollectible vintage watch.

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMHO, none of these watches are collectible. They were mass produced consumer products when they were new 40 years ago and they remain as such today... They have basic cases, basic generic movements and hands and boring mediocre dials to appeal to mass market consumer.
Just because internet portals like to push an idea of us being 'COLLECTORS' does not make it so. We are just buying mediocre mass produced junk cause marketing for that sort of thing is strong right now.

Jazzmenco

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1087752

20181211_095143.jpg

20181211_104215.jpg

20181211_094613.jpg

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMHO, none of these watches are collectible. They were mass produced consumer products when they were new 40 years ago and they remain as such today... They have basic cases, basic generic movements and hands and boring mediocre dials to appeal to mass market consumer.
Just because internet portals like to push an idea of us being 'COLLECTORS' does not make it so. We are just buying mediocre mass produced junk cause marketing for that sort of thing is strong right now.

Truth brother!

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You never cease to surprise me. I thought nobody else has the CoWard watch.
I got one of the Trident diver watches for my son as High School graduation present years ago. Nice, durable watch.

Last edited:

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got one of the Trident diver watches for my son as High School graduation present year ago. Nice, durable watch.

At 50% off as every 6 months CW dumps all their stock these are truly good value. ETA, GMT, real ceramic bezel, 600 meters WR puts everything from Omega to shame. And most importantly for SF members, comes in a multitude of colors. Sold mine for same price I paid them for new ($350) just because I don't want to be seen as a CoWard :)

img_1544550332297.jpg

img_1544550525883.jpg

Last edited:

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Truth brother!
Using the Antiques Roadshow example, something cheaply made will not age well or really ever be worth anything. All of the valuable items on that show were usually purchased by wealthy ancestors ("my Great-Great Grandfather, COL Jasper Mugwump IV, apparently bought this vase in Hong Kong in 1845!"). The vase, of course, was worth a great deal at the time as well. I would argue that for something to seriously increase in value it has to start out valuable.

Not universal and there are exceptions of course. Comic books are just cheap newsprint with a glossy cover for example.

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Using the Antiques Roadshow example, something cheaply made will not age well or really ever be worth anything. All of the valuable items on that show were usually purchased by wealthy ancestors ("my Great-Great Grandfather, COL Jasper Mugwump IV, apparently bought this vase in Hong Kong in 1845!"). The vase, of course, was worth a great deal at the time as well. I would argue that for something to seriously increase in value it has to start out valuable.

Not universal and there are exceptions of course. Comic books are just cheap newsprint with a glossy cover for example.

Which is why I don't believe in collecting steel cased watches unless they have art dials. Gold ones are more valuable and also generally finished better than their steel counterparts to begin with.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like this thread because folks just buy cool-looking watches that make them happy. No need to follow the Patek Phillipe ads and get one to "look after for the next generation."

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like this thread because folks just buy cool-looking watches that make them happy. No need to follow the Patek Phillipe ads and get one to "look after for the next generation."

Yeap you go to the other thread and do one of the following you'll get people including our dear site owner complaining:

1) Posting real high quality, rare, and actually fashionable watches.

2) Speak "evil" (truth) about Rolex, Patek, Panerai, or IWC (as being the site owner's fav brand)

:D

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeap you go to the other thread and do one of the following you'll get people including our dear site owner complaining:

1) Posting real high quality, rare, and actually fashionable watches.

2) Speak "evil" (truth) about Rolex, Patek, Panerai, or IWC (as being the site owner's fav brand)

:D

I really love watches. Was hooked after watching Goldfinger when I was little kid. Obsessed over a Submariner until I was 30 and could finally afford one. Lots of silliness in the watch industry of course. Brands like Panerai and Hublot are colossal jokes to me. IWC is somewhat interesting. Love their Pilot watches. Would love a JLC Master Control, Glashutte Original Sixties or Senator and especially the NOMOS Lambda in blue. Will likely content myself with the Submariner and my others from Seiko, Muhle Glashutte, Archimede, and Hamilton.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pic1.jpg
I love how this goes well with a suit or with casual clothes. Original Seiko "Cocktail Time" watch and Navy strap from Hirsch. Pic doesn't quite show it but the watch shines blue in the right light.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giant ground sloth