• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is completely opposite from the truth. You need to understand that other people shop certain things for different reasons than you do....

Well that's why I said IME. In My Experience. Heard of the phrase? And as a long time watch enthusiast, I've had plenty of experience with vapid badge whores (gender neutral use of the term) who think Rolex is the be all and end all, not because they have any understanding of the intrinsic merits of the piece, but because $$$ and because bling. That is the truth, not its opposite. And those people aren't worth impressing, to me. YMMV.

Anyway, it's totally off topic in any event. Rolex has no place on PMW.

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
https://www.styleforum.net/threads/the-real-poor-mans-watch-thread.640556/

I got tired of reading people talking about watches well over $1000 in the poor man's watch thread. Let them argue about their misery and dissatisfaction. Back to the roots.

And please: Avoid mentioning watches that can be "sometimes/rarely" found on the grey market used for less than $1000.

As a matter of fact, we should even lower the amount to $600.

Make whatever rules please you on a new thread.

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thought I’d come back for some more advice after such success last time.

Two weeks in to my Nomos Orion experience, the first watch I’ve owned in a good 15 years, I’ve decided I actually really enjoy wearing a watch. Not quite feeling naked without it but getting there.

I work a lot overseas, normally in Asia, and I’ve decided I don’t really want to take the Nomos with me (it was a big spend for me) as I’m scared I lose it/leave it in a hotel when I’m traveling between a dozen cities in China in a fortnight.

I’m therefore in the market for a dual time watch that looks great but is more in keeping with the PMW budget.

I’m definitely into more minimalist design but the dual time feature would be really handy for FaceTiming family back home.

Any suggestions?

When you say minimalist are you wanting the same level of aesthetic austerity as the Nomos? Does Junghans make a GMT perhaps?

Joeydisco

Reaction score
Doesn’t need to be the same level, but I’d certainly steer away from anything big or glitzy.

Junghans is definitely a good shout, if they do a dual time, but even cheaper would be nice.

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There’s a tasty looking Stenhart GMT (R***x homage) in that video upthread. What are they - $600?

Not sure that would meet the 'not too big / glitzy requirement', but it's not for me to say. Seiko makes some lovely, clean simple dual time watches in the Grand Seiko line but I haven't yet come across the aesthetic equivalent in a lower priced offering. Probably exists, I just don't know of it off hand.

This overall look, but for Presage money would work, I think:

orig.jpg

Chaconne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I did it. I created a different thread. Not too popular for what I see though. I never imposed anything on anyone here.

I see people posting $50 watches in this thread and getting approval. Under $1000 covers everything from $1.00 to $1000. On an open forum there will always be deviations from “rules.” Just keeping posting what you like here and welcome discussion. Great bunch of posters on this thread.

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I still would rather have a Credor with a carbon fiber dial I think
Ha, yes, that would fall into big and glitzy to my eye. Definitely not for me.
If it doesn't have to be brand new , look into Hamilton GMT or Maurice Lacroix, ML is very subdued. Both could be had for under 600USD

city74

Reaction score
IMG_2753.jpg

Squale also offers a lot at the $500 mark. Love their 1545 series in “root beer” colors

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was only half serious!
I knew there were some nice and understated Grand Seiko GMTs but don’t know much about their pricing - I would guess they are at the upper limit or beyond the stated budget.

Right. Which is why I said something with a similar aesthetic to the GS but in the Presage line would work. GS would not be PMW money, even used.

ErikW

Reaction score
I stumbled upon this seller on Etsy. They have a really nice collection of vintage Seikos. Shipping from Mumbai sends red flags. Anyone have any experience with the seller? Should I stay away?

https://www.etsy.com/shop/rkswatches/items

From seller:
"All watches you see in my shop are 100% original and genuine
Watches are restored in house
I have 4 watch makers working full time for me
All watches have been cleaned and serviced and are in perfect working condition
Cases have been buffed and polished
Some Citizen bullheads may have repainted dials which can be the identified very easily
Apart from that each and every watch is all original including cases and dials"

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member