• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pediwear Shoes - Official Thread

pediwear

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks for your comments EnglishShoes. We have been gradually updating all the photography for the Crockett and Jones in-stock range, it is good to hear it is being enjoyed!

Mike

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello Mike. An odd question but do you know why Tricker's Boughton heels and toe-ends wear out so quickly? I had one pair, worn about once every two weeks, for two or three hours. After eight months I had to have the rubber bit replaced. Now the toe area is wearing down and going to need surgery very quickly or the wear will extend to the stitching. My other pair are going to same way. Could it be down to the very thick and fairly unbending sole?

I have a pair of Loake Chesters that are about 3 years old and nowhere near needing repair or any sort.

Many thanks, Munky

EnglishShoes

Reaction score
Dear Pediwear,

One slight complaint about your website. I don't know if it's specific to my set-up, but;

I usually browse by entering my shoe size and the prefered colour/type. This reveals a grid of photos of beautiful shoes. Great.

However, after I have clicked on a shoe model to see the details, I click back on the browser to get to the main list again and I get this annoying message saying "Document expired" and I have to click the "Try again" box. Then a pop-up comes up saying "Firefox must resend the information" and I have to click Resend. Only then will it bring me back to the main list.

I find this so frustrating that I tend to give up browsing after clicking into 2 or 3 shoes. I haven't seen ths issue with any other websites that I browse.

(Modern Windows 10 laptop using Firefox)

Reaction score
Hello Mike. An odd question but do you know why Tricker's Boughton heels and toe-ends wear out so quickly? I had one pair, worn about once every two weeks, for two or three hours. After eight months I had to have the rubber bit replaced. Now the toe area is wearing down and going to need surgery very quickly or the wear will extend to the stitching. My other pair are going to same way. Could it be down to the very thick and fairly unbending sole?

I have a pair of Loake Chesters that are about 3 years old and nowhere near needing repair or any sort.

Many thanks, Munky
Hi Munky

Thanks for your message. It is an unusual problem - over the years we have sold a lot of Bourton (and Stow) and we are not aware of this being a frequent issue.

Before we start to try and diagnose this problem are you able to send us some pictures of the affected soles - preferably both side by side then a close up of the affected area? I would just like to confirm the degree of wear and how this compares to the wear on the rest of the sole.

Of course I could pass comment without the images, but the more iinformation the better!

Mike

Reaction score
Dear Pediwear,

One slight complaint about your website. I don't know if it's specific to my set-up, but;

I usually browse by entering my shoe size and the prefered colour/type. This reveals a grid of photos of beautiful shoes. Great.

However, after I have clicked on a shoe model to see the details, I click back on the browser to get to the main list again and I get this annoying message saying "Document expired" and I have to click the "Try again" box. Then a pop-up comes up saying "Firefox must resend the information" and I have to click Resend. Only then will it bring me back to the main list.

I find this so frustrating that I tend to give up browsing after clicking into 2 or 3 shoes. I haven't seen ths issue with any other websites that I browse.

(Modern Windows 10 laptop using Firefox)
Hi EnglishShoe

Thank you for taking the time to provide this very helpful feedback. It is an issue we are aware of resulting from the way the product categories are searched. However it is concerning to hear first hand how irritating it becomes and what the ultimate result is.

There are number of planned changes to the product browsing and search facilities, and this issue is one the list, only perhaps it is a little higher on the list now!

Thanks again

Mike

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Munky

Thanks for your message. It is an unusual problem - over the years we have sold a lot of Bourton (and Stow) and we are not aware of this being a frequent issue.

Before we start to try and diagnose this problem are you able to send us some pictures of the affected soles - preferably both side by side then a close up of the affected area? I would just like to confirm the degree of wear and how this compares to the wear on the rest of the sole.

Of course I could pass comment without the images, but the more iinformation the better!

Mike

Thanks for your help, here, Mike. Unfortunately, I don't have any means of taking photos. I was just surprised at the wear. My other, slightly newer, Boughtons are also going the same way and will have to have the rubber pieces of the heel replaced fairly quickly or the wear will be down to the leather of the heel stack.

I had a cobbler put new rubber pieces on my first pair and they are wearing much better. There is still a problem with wear at the toe of the sole, on both pairs.

Although they are beautiful shoes, for me, they are very expensive and I'm not sure that I would buy any more.

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for your help, here, Mike. Unfortunately, I don't have any means of taking photos. I was just surprised at the wear. My other, slightly newer, Boughtons are also going the same way and will have to have the rubber pieces of the heel replaced fairly quickly or the wear will be down to the leather of the heel stack. 

I had a cobbler put new rubber pieces on my first pair and they are wearing much better. There is still a problem with wear at the toe of the sole, on both pairs. 

Although they are beautiful shoes, for me, they are very expensive and I'm not sure that I would buy any more. 

YMMV, but I find double-soled shoes to wear this way faster. Maybe it's related to the biomechanics of walking and the thickness of the soles? I find this pretty consistent among my shoes. Hence, I put toe taps on my shoes (especially double leather ones).

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
YMMV, but I find double-soled shoes to wear this way faster. Maybe it's related to the biomechanics of walking and the thickness of the soles? I find this pretty consistent among my shoes. Hence, I put toe taps on my shoes (especially double leather ones).

Thanks, Suited. This has been a theory of mine, too. Very thick, double soled, shoes do not - almost by definition - bend very much. Thus the pressure ends up on the backs of the heels and the front of the soles. It's not a great situation, though. I would prefer a bit more bending in the soles. That might well serve two problems: make the shoes more comfortable and reduce the wear on the heels and toes.

pediwear

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hi Munky

Even smart phone photos would be fine, but no matter. My comment was going to be along the same lines as SuitedDx. It is likely to be the particular combination of your own gait (or biomechanics of walking as SuitedDx correctly puts) and the construction of the shoes. I was keen to see the degree of wear you referred to. Sometimes people become over concerned about wear encroaching on the sole stitching. I just hope you are not seeking repairs too soon?

We have generally not found that double soled shoes wear faster both in our business and personally. However since SuitedDx and yourself have shared this observation perhaps there is a number of people for which this does occur?

Please just be sure that you are not repairing the shoes earlier than is necessary!

Would you be willing to insert metal taps as SuitedDx does?

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Munky

Even smart phone photos would be fine, but no matter. My comment was going to be along the same lines as SuitedDx. It is likely to be the particular combination of your own gait (or biomechanics of walking as SuitedDx correctly puts) and the construction of the shoes. I was keen to see the degree of wear you referred to. Sometimes people become over concerned about wear encroaching on the sole stitching. I just hope you are not seeking repairs too soon?

We have generally not found that double soled shoes wear faster both in our business and personally. However since SuitedDx and yourself have shared this observation perhaps there is a number of people for which this does occur?

Please just be sure that you are not repairing the shoes earlier than is necessary!

Would you be willing to insert metal taps as SuitedDx does?

Thank you very much for your, very helpful, comments. Unfortunately, I don't have a smartphone or a camera!

One observation of Tricker Boughtons is that the 'throat' of the shoe seems a lot wider than is the case with a range of other shoes. I don't know if this can affect the relationship between foot and sole.

I probably am a bit obsessed with these shoes wearing, as you suggest! I have always thought it important to have rubber pieces changed before the wear to the heels extends to the leather. I notice that the wear at the tip of the soles is only slightly more than other shoes that I have. It is notable, however, that none of my other shoes have needed repairing, at all and I have 15 pairs, ranging from 4 years to a couple of weeks ago. My first pair of Trickers are a year old.

I'm not wild about the idea of metal taps, as I don't really like the 'click' of them. All in all, I can, of course, cope with all of this! I was just wondering if other people had shared my experiences. Tricker's are certainly beautiful shoes. Thank you, again, for your help. M

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Big fan of Pediwear. My only complaint is that the Trickers Belgraves are never on sale. Ever. They are always exactly the same price you can get from Herring or Shoe Healer or other merchants. My guess is that Trickers doesn't allow discounting on this shoe.

pediwear

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I'm not wild about the idea of metal taps, as I don't really like the 'click' of them. All in all, I can, of course, cope with all of this! I was just wondering if other people had shared my experiences. Tricker's are certainly beautiful shoes. Thank you, again, for your help. M

I'm with you on the metal taps.

No worries, glad to be of help.

pediwear

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Big fan of Pediwear. My only complaint is that the Trickers Belgraves are never on sale. Ever. They are always exactly the same price you can get from Herring or Shoe Healer or other merchants. My guess is that Trickers doesn't allow discounting on this shoe.
Hi Knittieguy

Thank you for being our fan!

Unfortunately I cannot discuss reasons for individual styles being in the sale. I can say that it is certainly not related to any restriction from Trickers.

I am sorry we cannot be of more help on this one, and I hope you continue to enjoy our site and service.

Kind Regards

Mike Small

pediwear

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
GH
Pediwear - Any chance of some special GMTO Crockett Jones designs or a C&J sale?
Hi EnglishShoes

We would very much like to order some MTO's from Crockett and Jones, but unfortunately their factory is very busy making their stock and shop lines. I have to refer you to the post above regarding the reasons for sales. However, I can say that Crockett and Jones footwear are products which are very much in demand. When a product is in high demand it is very rare to see it being offered at reduced prices.

Kind Regards

Mike Small

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads