• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pediwear Shoes - Official Thread

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi Knittieguy

Thank you for being our fan!

Unfortunately I cannot discuss reasons for individual styles being in the sale. I can say that it is certainly not related to any restriction from Trickers.  

I am sorry we cannot be of more help on this one, and I hope you continue to enjoy our site and service.

Kind Regards

Mike Small
Thanks for the response. If it is not related to a restriction from Trickers, then hopefully it's not some sort of behind-the-scenes collusion between Pediwear, Herring and other retailers. It seems odd that the Trickers shoes are always the exact same price no matter which retailer I look at.:confused:

Anyway, if you ever put them on sale, I think you'd sell a lot. Regards

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's a bit insolent to suggest a conspiracy among various retailers colluding to manipulate the prices. There's usually a general market rate and everyone gravitates towards it. Tricker's is a fairly popular brand so there's really no benefit for retailers to put them on sale. Of course a retailer would sell much more but why cut their profit margin unless they have to?

The same situation happens with Alden, (most) C&J, EG, etc. Cheaney and AS are very good makers that do occasionally go on sale because they're not as trendy.

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's a bit insolent to suggest a conspiracy among various retailers colluding to manipulate the prices. There's usually a general market rate and everyone gravitates towards it. Tricker's is a fairly popular brand so there's really no benefit for retailers to put them on sale. Of course a retailer would sell much more but why cut their profit margin unless they have to?

The same situation happens with Alden, (most) C&J, EG, etc. Cheaney and AS are very good makers that do occasionally go on sale because they're not as trendy.

No insolence intended, but having worked as an antitrust attorney, I can tell you it is very rare for a product to always be sold for exactly the same price at different retailers. Usually this only happens when the manufacturer enforces vertical resale price maintenance behind the scenes. In other words, when the manufacturer refuses to sell to retailers who will discount the product. You see this with things like Tempurpedic mattresses and a lot of eyewear brands. But the Pediwear representative said was not the case.

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

No insolence intended, but having worked as an antitrust attorney, I can tell you it is very rare for a product to always be sold for exactly the same price at different retailers. Usually this only happens when the manufacturer enforces vertical resale price maintenance behind the scenes. In other words, when the manufacturer refuses to sell to retailers who will discount the product. You see this with things like Tempurpedic mattresses and a lot of eyewear brands. But the Pediwear representative said was not the case.

Ah, I better understand your perspective. I'm sure there's some algorithm about setting prices but it's not my area so I'm ignorant about it. I know some brands, Alden and EG for example, have weight as to how much prices are set. Maybe this is more informally agreed upon with other makers?

Pediwear has been good to me and I bought my first few pairs of C&J from them almost a decade ago. :satisfied:

pediwear

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Tricker's is a fairly popular brand so there's really no benefit for retailers to put them on sale. Of course a retailer would sell much more but why cut their profit margin unless they have to?

The above explains it better than I did.

Thanks for the response. If it is not related to a restriction from Trickers, then hopefully it's not some sort of behind-the-scenes collusion between Pediwear, Herring and other retailers.

It is one thing to suggest we might be colluding to fix prices, but it is another story entirely to call me the Pediwear representative! I am the owner!
bigstar[1].gif

However, just for the record, there really is no conspiracy!

Carl1955

Reaction score
Hi All

Being a bit cheeky here ( not for the first time, hopefully not the last - last get it ?!! )

Is there a style forum discount for members at Pediwear, I know this isn't an Affiliate thread but some others do have an

SF discount

eg

AFPOS has (SF1O) = 10 discount over a certain spend

I have my eye on a pair of Cheaney boots and an online discount code might just tip me over the edge (not literally I hope!)

I did say I was being cheeky now didn't I

Cheers guys

Carl.

pediwear

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hi Carl

Unfortunately we do not currently offer any Styleforum discount. I hope this doesn't put you off buying from us. We have only just started selling Cheaney and they are already proving popular with our customers.

I wonder which boot you are interested in? The Ribble has proved very popular for us. I think it is too near summer for you to be considering the Tweed or Pennine, so it must be the Ribble or the Jackie??

Kind Regards

Mike

atia2

Reaction score

An odd question but do you know why Tricker's Boughton heels and toe-ends wear out so quickly?

I have a pair of Loake Chesters that are about 3 years old and nowhere near needing repair or any sort.

FWIW my experience is that Loake's rubber quarter heels wear by far the slowest of the brands I've worn (which include almost all the Northampton makers). I don't know what they're made of, but it's no ordinary rubber!

Last edited:

cypi2

Reaction score
FWIW my experience is that Loake's rubber quarter heels wear by far the slowest of the brands I've worn (which include almost all the Northampton makers). I don't know what they're made of, but it's no ordinary rubber!
@atia2 is right: There seems to be something special about Loake's rubber quarter heels. Just like him, I own quite a few pairs of shoes from different Northampton makers, and, Loake's rubber quarter heels are by far the toughest of all.

pediwear

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
@atia2 is right: There seems to be something special about Loake's rubber quarter heels. Just like him, I own quite a few pairs of shoes from different Northampton makers, and, Loake's rubber quarter heels are by far the toughest of all.
Hi Guys

Gosh how fascinating. I had not heard this before. It is a good selling point for Loake shoes!. I will see if I can find out more about where they source their heels from. My first though would have been that many of the manufacturers obtain them from the same place but that doesn't fit with what you are saying.

Mike

trum01

Reaction score
Hi Mike,

I noticed Pediwear has a few Carmina models that are especially made for Pediwear and are competitively priced. Any particular reason that you carry these models instead of the regular Carmina models? Is the quality the same as the regular Carmina range?

Thanks.

Akshat

pediwear

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hi Mike,

I noticed Pediwear has a few Carmina models that are especially made for Pediwear and are competitively priced. Any particular reason that you carry these models instead of the regular Carmina models? Is the quality the same as the regular Carmina range?

Thanks.

Akshat
Hi Akshat

Thank you for your interest in our Carmina styles. They certainly are made to the same high standards as Carmina's own shoes, and are supplied in the same wonderful boxes with shoe bags. We choose these particular styles because we consider them to be the best available to suit our market. We haven't deliberately avoided choosing existing Carmina styles, we have just chosen lasts and styles which we consider would work for us.

Are there any styles within their range which you are particularly interested in? It would be helpful for us to know!

Kind Regards

Mike

trum01

Reaction score
Hi Akshat

Thank you for your interest in our Carmina styles. They certainly are made to the same high standards as Carmina's own shoes, and are supplied in the same wonderful boxes with shoe bags. We choose these particular styles because we consider them to be the best available to suit our market. We haven't deliberately avoided choosing existing Carmina styles, we have just chosen lasts and styles which we consider would work for us.

Are there any styles within their range which you are particularly interested in? It would be helpful for us to know!

Kind Regards

Mike

Thanks for the response Mike. I was just asking out of curiosity since I had not seen those model names elsewhere and was not sure what the difference was between those and the regular Carmina models. I am actually looking at oxfords, and the ones you carry would definitely work, as would the regular models ones on Carmina's site (e.g. Forest, Rain).

Cheers

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads