• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Top 14 list of shoes under $500 for newbies

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are there still different lines of Testoni? I have a pair of suede brogue boots and can't see a stitching at the bottom-sole or inside the shoe.

There is something like a "fake stitching" at the sole but thats just the design of the rubber sole.

They were at sale and I can't find this model anywhere else.
They fit me very good and look good. Is this their usual construction method or is this just a cheap, glued pair? The sole looks like a Dainite.

Sadly, and I'm only basing this on you not seeing the stitching, I'll guess that's a glued pair.

Harwid

Reaction score
I just looked at Rancourt and am amazed they made this list. Overall very unattractive shoes.

Jeff

acconrad

Reaction score
I just looked at Rancourt and am amazed they made this list. Overall very unattractive shoes.

Jeff
Hah I mean it is a subjective list as stated and its one person's opinion. Also Rancourt is very focused on sort of a rugged ivy feel and nails the aesthetic. Also 14 is a very specific and odd number, I think you could narrow it down to 5 and be just fine: Vass, Allen Edmonds, CNES, TLB Mallorca, J Fitzpatrick and you're covering basically any and all kinds of shoes (formal to casual), foot shapes, and lasts across the Americas, Europe, and Asia.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Jeff

Hah I mean it is a subjective list as stated and its one person's opinion. Also Rancourt is very focused on sort of a rugged ivy feel and nails the aesthetic. Also 14 is a very specific and odd number, I think you could narrow it down to 5 and be just fine: Vass, Allen Edmonds, CNES, TLB Mallorca, J Fitzpatrick and you're covering basically any and all kinds of shoes (formal to casual), foot shapes, and lasts across the Americas, Europe, and Asia.

As @acconrad mentioned, I am a fan of that rugged ivy aesthetic. Might be a Northeast thing, but I grew up in Eastlands (brand not location). Rancourt does a good job producing that look. Additionally, I like the handmade aspect they bring to the table.

Why 14? Initially thinking lucky 7 shoe list, then I was thinking "why couldn't we shoe owners be twice as lucky".

I'm surprised @Harwid would have an issue with Rancourt & not with Paraboot. I'd consider that aesthetic more niche than say Rancourt (I've seen that Ivy aesthetic used in certain parts of the Pacific Northwest along with the East).

Harwid

Reaction score
As @acconrad mentioned, I am a fan of that rugged ivy aesthetic. …

I'm surprised @Harwid would have an issue with Rancourt & not with Paraboot. I'd consider that aesthetic more niche than say Rancourt (I've seen that Ivy aesthetic used in certain parts of the Pacific Northwest along with the East).

Rancourt was mentioned a lot so I looked it up. I have not looked at Paraboot.

I grew up in the Pacific Northwest and have never lived in the Northeast. I am not real knowledgeable about the Ivy aesthetic, but what I know about it does not interest me at all. I like Italian style and have only had one button down collar in about 50 years - a shorter collared Armani.

The Pacific Northwest is a pretty much a clothing wasteland.

Jeff

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rancourt was mentioned a lot so I looked it up. I have not looked at Paraboot.

I grew up in the Pacific Northwest and have never lived in the Northeast. I am not real knowledgeable about the Ivy aesthetic, but what I know about it does not interest me at all. I like Italian style and have only had one button down collar in about 50 years - a shorter collared Armani.

The Pacific Northwest is a pretty much a clothing wasteland.

Jeff

If you are a fan of the Italian aesthetic, naturally both Paraboot & Rancourt wouldn't appeal to you.

IMO, a true Italian styled shoe that is well constructed can not be purchased for under $500, unless it was discounted. Barbanera, Enzo Bonafe, & Meccariello can be found discounted, and should place them under $500.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads