• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official: STAR WARS THREAD. These are the droids you're looking for. **WARNING MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Shouldn't it have been a shock that there was someone resisting armed with a lightsabre in that scene? Where did this weapon come from that can take on a lightsabre, and why did that one stormtrooper uniquely have one?

Kylo's goal was to hunt down Luke Skywalker. Why is it a leap to believe they may equip some of his men with weapons that could repel a light saber blade? I didn't find that hard to believe at all.

You only saw one. No reason to believe he was the only one.

Last edited:

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Kylo's goal was to hunt down Luke Skywalker. Why is it a leap to believe they may equip some of his men with weapons that could repel a light saber blade? I didn't find that hard to believe at all.

You only saw one. No reason to believe he was the one one.

It's no leap at all to believe he would want to do it / do it if it were feasible, but I don't think I ever understood that to be possible in the Star Wars universe before. What can repel a lightsabre?

If it's possible to build a laser nunchuk thing that can go toe-to-toe with a lightsabre for use by a stormtrooper grunt, then why not shields, body armour, etc using the same technology, and why not for every stormtrooper? It is obviously incredibly powerful tech, so you'd think it would be more widespread once it exists and works.

Last edited:

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's expensive? It's heavy to carry? It's super specialized and there aren't many people fighting with lightsabers anymore?

Why didn't every grunt in WWII carry a bazooka?

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's expensive? It's heavy to carry? It's super specialized and there aren't many people fighting with lightsabers anymore?

Why didn't every grunt in WWII carry a bazooka?

Okay, but if you watch 13 hours of WWII movies, you will probably see more than one bazooka used once.

New weaponry is fun to watch, I just think it could have been better justified and contextualized. As I mentioned, a primary issue for me was that the basic premise of this weapon wasn't even possible in the universe until now as far as I know, and it's not really treated as if it's anything remarkable.

Last edited:

Ketawa

Reaction score

It's no leap at all to believe he would want to do it / do it if it were feasible, but I don't think I ever understood that to be possible in the Star Wars universe before. What can repel a lightsabre?

If it's possible to build a laser nunchuk thing that can go toe-to-toe with a lightsabre for use by a stormtrooper grunt, then why not shields, body armour, etc using the same technology, and why not for every stormtrooper? It is obviously incredibly powerful tech, so you'd think it would be more widespread once it exists and works.

I know people want to forget the prequels, but there were several droids in General Grievous' army in ROTS armed with a weapon that could take on a lightsaber.

Grintricha

Reaction score
the girl is an awful awful actress

i hope the emporer soap dude is actually teeny tiny and just projected big (hopefully with a requisite squeeky voice)

can't wait to see how big the next death maxi mega **** off star is, if it's even bigger there'll be no way there is a weakness which a small rag tag band of fighters can exploit

that film was ******* gash, a complete load of old forrest gump, particular favourite bits were the fit of pique beat up a death star console with my light sabre 'cos I'm ruddy jolly well cross

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lol wut

wojt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's a fan theory out there that says Snoke is really Darth Plagueis, former master of Palpatine. It would make things more interesting I guess.

Last edited:

Suntory

Reaction score

A force pike could repel it,no?

wojt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's specialized, so no wonder why only Kylo Ren's close affiliates use them. Magna guards who used to protected CIS high ups also used staffs that could repel light saber strikes- it was even shown in the movies. So no big deal here.

Suntory

Reaction score
It's specialized, so no wonder why only Kylo Ren's close affiliates use them. Magna guards who used to protected CIS high ups also used staffs that could repel light saber strikes- it was even shown in the movies. So no big deal here.
So Royal guards with force pikes can handle Darth Vader?

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
In a fictional universe with light sabers the hard thing to suspend your belief for is someone designing a weapon that could repel light sabers. Riiight.

This just seems like such a minor thing to get hung up on. How/why does this specific weapon exist and that one storm trooper just happens to be carrying one? Because it looked cool and made for a memorable scene. Not that far off from the reason Lucas invented the concept of the light saber in the first place. ;)

At some point you need to just take a step back and ask yourself.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It reminds me of the Thrawn trilogy. Out of no where the books introduced little space caterpillars that could repel the force in a small area around them. No one had seen those before, but they added a new challenge for the hero and thus were part of what made the books an entertaining story arc.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's a fan theory out there that says Snoke is really Darth Plagueis, former master of Palpatine. It would make things more interesting I guess.

I could be wrong, because I'm not that well acquainted with Star Wars, but didn't Palpatine tell a story to someone (Anakin, perhaps) about how an apprentice (Palpatine, in other words) had killed his master (Darth Plagueis)?

That being the case, it would make it rather unlikely that Snoke is Plagueis.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads