• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Japanese Bespoke Tailoring Thread

__k

Reaction score
I like Tailor Caid's double-breasted 4x2 blazer (example below), called the 'Newport blazer'.

I visited Tailor Caid recently and his 'newport blazer' caught my eye as well. The emerald lining is a nice touch.
newport.jpg

Started a sport coat in a lighter gray herringbone Harris Tweed at the recommendation of Yamamoto-san. A fun guy to chat with and immensely generous with his knowledge and time.
ht.jpg

Destination_Arubin

Reaction score
Dude that's so cool!

I've always thought that if I get anything from Tailor Caid that it would be a navy blazer, or a grey tweed herringbone sport coat, or maybe even a camel-coloured blazer.

Would love to know what details you chose! Classic sack suit cut with narrower lapels? Buttons? Pocket configuration? I like flapped patch pockets and I think I'd even get a patch chest pocket too.

__k

Reaction score
Would love to know what details you chose! Classic sack suit cut with narrower lapels? Buttons? Pocket configuration? I like flapped patch pockets and I think I'd even get a patch chest pocket too.
Went with the classic sack suit cut with 3-roll-2 button (I assume?) - I just asked for his house cut. We went with flapped patch pockets and chest patch pocket. Looking forward to the first fitting in a couple months.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went with the classic sack suit cut with 3-roll-2 button (I assume?) - I just asked for his house cut. We went with flapped patch pockets and chest patch pocket. Looking forward to the first fitting in a couple months.

Definitely looking forward to see this one in progress, a jacket like that from Caid is on my short list if I ever pull the trigger on one of his USA visits.

Did he happen to mention if the Harris Tweed was from a particular bunch or producer? or was it just what he had in store there. I've also seen him post a lot of grey Donegal suits, curious if he uses Molloy, W. Bill, Magee or some other producer for those...

__k

Reaction score
Definitely looking forward to see this one in progress, a jacket like that from Caid is on my short list if I ever pull the trigger on one of his USA visits.

Did he happen to mention if the Harris Tweed was from a particular bunch or producer? or was it just what he had in store there. I've also seen him post a lot of grey Donegal suits, curious if he uses Molloy, W. Bill, Magee or some other producer for those...
No mention of which producer this Harris Tweed came from (and I failed to ask). I walked in knowing I wanted something made in a gray tweed and might have also mentioned herringbone. He pulled this out along with samples of Harris Tweed fabrics for this season from his preferred producer or importer.

We also looked at some shetland tweeds and he pulled out some thornproofs but this Harris Tweed just stuck. I was looking for something lighter since I generally choose darker fabrics and I liked the softer contrast between the two colors in this one. Yamamoto-san mentioned he tries to buy up as much of this fabric as he can when he sees it released. This biased me a fair bit as well.

I also live in the US but on the other coast. Agree the Armoury trunk show prices are a tough pill to swallow..

beltnbraces

Reaction score
Just been looking at what has happened to the Yen over the last few weeks/years. It's now down 50% against the dollar/pound, which suddenly makes Japanese menswear a lot more affordable. Tailor CAID bespoke 2-piece now starting at around £1,500 in Tokyo!

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I remember for the longest time it was around 1 USD = 100 JPY… definitely taking my opportunities…

KWang94

Reaction score
Just been looking at what has happened to the Yen over the last few weeks/years. It's now down 50% against the dollar/pound, which suddenly makes Japanese menswear a lot more affordable. Tailor CAID bespoke 2-piece now starting at around £1,500 in Tokyo!
I'm planning a trip to Japan for my honeymoon and these rates are getting me super pumped. I'm there for 2.5 weeks but it's got me wishing I had more time there so I could potentially get a fitting in with a tailor. I guess I'll have to settle with Ring Jacket RTW?

epsilon22

Reaction score
I'm planning a trip to Japan for my honeymoon and these rates are getting me super pumped. I'm there for 2.5 weeks but it's got me wishing I had more time there so I could potentially get a fitting in with a tailor. I guess I'll have to settle with Ring Jacket RTW?
You can do MTO or even MTM at RJ stores, they send the finished garments to your address but you deal with import duties and taxes. If you fit well enough and don't need major adjustments, it might be worth it. They also have the meister and Napoli lines with more handwork than the standard models, in case you are interested in those upgrades.

I believe CAID does MTM without fitting too, and I'm sure there are other options I'm unaware of.

Destination_Arubin

Reaction score

I don't like talking about price, because I think that you should choose a bespoke tailor based on the tailoring style, design details and relationship of trust. Also, even at cheaper prices bespoke tailoring is still expensive for a lot of people, and ordering while overseas is not easy.

But that said, current exchange rates make it so much easier to try Japanese bespoke tailoring now. Local prices have not changed much in many years; any changes are mostly due to the cost of new imported fabrics. Japanese wholesalers and tailors continue to maintain prices for old/existing stocks of suit fabrics.

Looking at exchange rates now of USD1$ / JPY150+, and knowing the work, effort and dedication that a lot of Japanese tailors put into their garments, I really think it's a great time to try.

KWang94

Reaction score
You can do MTO or even MTM at RJ stores, they send the finished garments to your address but you deal with import duties and taxes. If you fit well enough and don't need major adjustments, it might be worth it. They also have the meister and Napoli lines with more handwork than the standard models, in case you are interested in those upgrades.

I believe CAID does MTM without fitting too, and I'm sure there are other options I'm unaware of.
Thanks for pointing that out! Didn't even consider Ring Jacket MTM. I guess my perception of Ring Jacket's cost is a little bit skewed by the armoury.

Anyone know the price of Ring Jacket/Tailor Caid MTM?

epsilon22

Reaction score
Thanks for pointing that out! Didn't even consider Ring Jacket MTM. I guess my perception of Ring Jacket's cost is a little bit skewed by the armoury.

RJ Meister RTW sport coats were anywhere from 150k JPY and up depending on fabric, when I went to visit their Aoyama store last year. I didn't get pricing for MTM, but I imagine a bit higher than that. Keep in mind that they may have adjusted their pricing to account for the relatively higher cost of imported fabric though.

Not sure about CAID, never visited him, but I recall reading somewhere 2-piece suits were like 300k JPY, might be old pricing and not sure if MTM or bespoke. Try looking at his website.

__k

Reaction score

Starting prices for Ring Jacket MTM in Japan are available on their website.

I was quoted almost 1.5x the listed starting price for a MTM jacket using a fabric from the Fox Journey bunch. I don't believe they carry many (any?) fabrics anywhere close to the starting price.

__k

Reaction score
Another option, if you're going to Osaka, is MTM from Raffaniello. I have no experience working with Higashi-san but he's clearly well-liked.

Link to a post by another SF member who has a MTM jacket from Raffaniello.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads