• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official: STAR WARS THREAD. These are the droids you're looking for. **WARNING MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I don't understand the hate for rehashing 4. 4 was good. After three servings of GL's poop on a stick, a rehash of 4 sets things up nicely. I suspect the "nostalgia" aspect will be heavy handed in VII as a way to draw people back in. I suspect it will disappear thereafter as the universe takes off on its own, cinematically and with all the accompanying literature in different formats. This movie just brings us back to speed.

This is a nice summary of the argument I have been making for months in this thread as soon as it became obvious they were going to play up the "nostalgia" aspect of this film. If Episode 8 is just a rehash of ESB then we are starting to see a problem. Thing is I highly doubt that will be the case. They want to tread new ground and tell creative stories in this universe. TFA was always meant to be the bridge and therefore needed to feel familiar and safe.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

The Force can move an X-Wing out of a swamp. Luke's muscles could not.

The Force is perhaps George Lucas' greatest creative invention in the Star Wars universe. So much leeway can be given to happens in stories without one having to completely shut down their brains to accept it, because of it's involvement.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The Force is perhaps George Lucas' greatest creative invention in the Star Wars universe. So much leeway can be given to happens in stories without one having to completely shut down their brains to accept it, because of it's involvement.

I don't think it's a big deal that the Force is used as deux ex machina. The Ancient Greeks used deux ex machina in their tragedies to make the impossible happen, thousands of years ago.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score

I knew this was here somewhere, took me almost two beers to find it but Ata has an interesting point when it comes to the new Star Wars film. Because the man the woman fights is pretty effeminate and not at all like a traditional man. I know this is a galaxy far far away and they may not really even be the same species as us but there it is. I have no doubt Re-female could have beaten Re-male.

No, not really. But some people have trouble distinguishing general statistics from individual variation. Plus, if we're talking about the thread topic, it's a given that training and mastery of the force trump physical prowess, no? Did it destroy your suspension of disbelief when old Obi-Wan or wussy Luke Skywalker could hold their own in a fight? Beyond the light saber battle, how much strength does it take to fire a blaster or a laser cannon?
Fiction is full of battles and fights where effective fighters, sometimes the most effective, are not the ones who would score highest at the NBA combines. Especially when high-tech weapons are involved, obviously.

I won't ask about Yoda, because I found the Yoda battle scenes in the previous movies to be terrible and off-putting.

Last edited:

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

not sure if posted

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

I agree with the sentiment, but if I remember correctly from TV Tropes, a "mary sue" is a character that's supposed to be wish fulfillment for the author. Somehow I doubt Rey is supposed to be JJ Abrams. She's just badly written.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score

I agree with the sentiment, but if I remember correctly from TV Tropes, a "mary sue" is a character that's supposed to be wish fulfillment for the author. Somehow I doubt Rey is supposed to be JJ Abrams. She's just badly written.

I'm so accustomed to this thread being full of obscure references I don't get that I was about to ask what "TV" stands for. :facepalm:

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't understand the hate for rehashing 4. 4 was good. After three servings of GL's poop on a stick, a rehash of 4 sets things up nicely. I suspect the "nostalgia" aspect will be heavy handed in VII as a way to draw people back in. I suspect it will disappear thereafter as the universe takes off on its own, cinematically and with all the accompanying literature in different formats. This movie just brings us back to speed.

It not as if anyone needed to be reminded of the OT (oh yeah, Star Wars ... what's that about again?) or anyone who hated the prequels walked away from the series and refused to see these ones. I have no problem with nostalgia, but to remake the movie seems a wasted opportunity.

A lot of very smart people signed off on this decision and I'm sure there were many discussions about the identical plot. I'm curious as to why it won out.

Star Wars is a better movie than this one - more watchable and still an exciting experience. Why create an dullish retread?

Can someone explain how the death planet thing works?
lefty

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Can someone explain how the death planet thing works?

Basically, the weapon sucks up the nearest star's energy to create the death ray. I assume this means the planet must be artificially movable, or you'd basically invest all that time, money, and effort into a one-shot cannon. Star's gone, no more power.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Right. So I destroy the solar system I'm currently in and if I want to use it again I have to tow the planet to another solar system.

Good weapon.

lefty

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Right. So I destroy the solar system I'm currently in and if I want to use it again I have to tow the planet to another solar system.

Good weapon.

lefty

The Death Star apparently didn't have hyperdrive either.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
How the Starkiller powered itself up was a little dumb. I just chalked it to being one of those issues the film had that didn't take away from it's overall goodness.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Absolutely. And

[spoilre]I agree that the kid they had playing the Anakin clone looked and sounded just like Jake Lloyd. Really good casting, or digital manipulation, or maybe both.[/spoiler]

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reuterscnn