• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official new iPhone 4

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by alan
Doesnt it suck though to apply tape to what is supposed to be a brand new phone
Yes. I'll wait until after September 30, and maybe a bit longer, before I upgrade to the 4.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

its invisible. and my phone works fine now. free bumper too if i want one. it doesn't suck to own this fone.

v.freeman

Reaction score
Do you think that the Quarter 4 iphones will still have this problem? Maybe if there are no changes to the phone, then maybe your argument may hold some ground that Apple honestly doesn't believe it needs to be re-designed. On the other hand, if it is re-designed it will be an admittance of guilt and then we'll know the initial batches were flawed.

alan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LawrenceMD
its invisible. and my phone works fine now. free bumper too if i want one. it doesn't suck to own this fone.

Yeah but even if it doesnt show itd piss me off and make me feel my new purchase is junk lol. Just a psychological thing i guess

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If i paid $200 for a piece of electronic equipment I would expect it to work too.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Two things that I haven't heard mentioned yet:

1) Why the 9/30 cutoff? Is that when the Verizon phone is coming? We got confirmation of that with the "we have Verizon cell towers on campus" line.

2) Why the **** did they pick a Blackberry Bold and a Samsung POS to show off? If they really wanted to make a rock solid comparison, why not use a Droid or EVO or Xperia?

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stylish Pilot
If i paid $200 for a piece of electronic equipment I would expect it to work too.

it does work though. i mentioned before the signal is actually stronger than my old iphone. a lot stronger - to the point that i get phone calls and signal in formally dead spots in my house.

but if i do the death grip in the low signal areas - my dead spots - i can drop calls occasionally.

so after the simple scotch tape fix now it works fine.

people are really blurring the line with saying that the "phone doesn't work without bumpers!" but it works fine, and works better if the antenna is covered.

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
Two things that I haven't heard mentioned yet:

1) Why the 9/30 cutoff? Is that when the Verizon phone is coming? We got confirmation of that with the "we have Verizon cell towers on campus" line.

My guess would be inventory. Sea freight from china takes about 1 month all in (loading in china to final destination in US).

blairh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by v.freeman
Do you think that the Quarter 4 iphones will still have this problem? Maybe if there are no changes to the phone, then maybe your argument may hold some ground that Apple honestly doesn't believe it needs to be re-designed. On the other hand, if it is re-designed it will be an admittance of guilt and then we'll know the initial batches were flawed.
They will have a solution by Sept 30th. Forget a re-design. We won't see that until iPhone 5 in summer 2011. There could be two reasons why they picked Sept 30th: 1. They really need the time to figure out a solution. 2. They know the solution (a coating of some sort around the antenna, as many antenna experts have predicted would be the fix) but they won't implement it just yet because they have already ordered China to make X amount of iPhone's PLUS they absolutely do not want to do a recall of any kind. The free bumper is a band-aid for current customers and anyone looking to purchase until September 30th. Once that date rolls around they will announce that all iPhone's shipping from that day on will have a hardware tweak regarding the antenna performance. Launch day adopters to September 30th buyers can't say **** because they know of the antenna issue and got their free bumpers. Apple is being a child here. They know *********** up by not coating the antenna. They won't admit it. So instead they'll point to other cell phones and say "See!". The problem is that all the other cell phones they pointed out have the antenna inside the phone and on the back. When we cup our cell phones we tend to grab the sides and create a cupping motion if you will around the back. We usually don't push our hand up against the back of the phone. This is important to note because this avoids physical hand contact with the antenna on the other cell phones. And while Apple did demonstrate the signal drop in those videos, I suspect the person holding the phone was really making a point to cover the antenna located on the back of the cell phones. The iPhone 4 is different of course because it is an external area that is used for holding the phone. It's beyond me why Apple didn't realize that this would be an issue. Hey, maybe there was a reason why other companies didn't make phones with external antennas. Apple has learned their lesson but will never really admit it. They will most likely coat those future antennas and have now washed the blood off their hands with free bumpers. I just ordered my iPhone 4 from AT&T. I get a free bumper for the gym and will cover the dreaded spot with tape if necessary when not using the bumper. And while Apple did the right thing yesterday by offering the bumpers, I also feel Apple and specifically Steve showed us their ugly and dishonest side by NOT acknowledging their design mistake and instead played it off like a hindrance that all cell phone makers deal with. A really detailed and excellent breakdown of why we should be disappointed with Apple can be read here. And another article which does a nice job of recapping what was wrong about the Friday press conference can be read here. I recommend both it as it does a nice job of summing up why Apple really looks like dicks in the end. Also, don't expect a Verizon iPhone until summer of 2012, when AT&T's 5 year exclusivity contract is up. Ignore all the Verizon iPhone rumors you will keep reading every three months on the clock until the day truly does approach in two years time.

CMJTperry

Reaction score
Originally Posted by scb
I'm perfectly satisfied with is, as is everyone else I know with the phone. You can tell me the phone sucks all you want, but that doesn't change the fact that it works fine for me (and no, I don't use a case)

Same here.
bigstar[1].gif

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^^I played with one of the phones at the Apple store today. The resolution is amazing. One is in my future.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by audiophilia
Finally got to play with one today. Very lovely, but slightly underwhelmed. And this from a rabid fanboy.
I expected a greater difference between the 4 and my 3Gs.

scb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

my phone works fine without tape.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
I expected a greater difference between the 4 and my 3Gs.
better screen, slightly faster. that's all folks. In fact, as Apple admitted in the press conference, the 4G drops more calls than the 3GS.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads