• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official new iPhone 4

P. Bateman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone else notice loose bits in their phone? When I tap it against my finger I can stuff jiggling inside. Iphone 3G was rock solid.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LawrenceMD
you could at least try. sheesh. defeatist behavior. i've done the same exact thing with my macbook battery, static-y ipod earbuds, white spot on macbook monitor, ect.

i've had the battery replaced (it was over a year old and over 400 cycles), the earbuds, and monitor (on a 2.5year old macbook) because it was all under warranty.

I've done this with a battery and the cracked surface. No charge.

i set up an appointment walked right into the west village apple store and asked, acted ignorant, then outright asked if said defect can be replaced and it all was...

i have no doubts that if i did the same for my iphone 4 they'd replace it.

A friend is now on his third iphone 4. He bitched a lot.

another thing never buy applecare through apple just look for ebay sellers where you can find applecare for 20%-50% cheaper.

I need to buy a new macbook pro - source for cheap applecare please.

lefty

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
I need to buy a new macbook pro - source for cheap applecare please. lefty
Amazon or one of the Mac retailers online (MacMall, MacConnection, etc.) for a legit copy. eBay for even cheaper but there are some shady dealers out there so make sure to check references very carefully. righty

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blairh
Go *************. I was only trying to help.

With that established, you can either try to swap your iPhone with a new one or simply deal with it. I seriously doubt any software updates are going to affect the issue you are having.

Thanks for contributing, Mr. Jobs!

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SirSuturesALot
http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...cut-calls.html

...The metal bezel surrounding the handset would need to be separated in sections to create individual antennas capable of handling particular ranges of the radio frequencies for different wireless networks, the person said. If a user covered one of the seams between the sections, their finger would act as a conductive material, interfering with the signal, the person said. Consumer Reports suggests iPhone 4 users cover the antenna with duct tape to help mitigate reception woes.

laugh.gif

blairh

Reaction score
Another thing never buy applecare through apple just look for ebay sellers where you can find applecare for 20%-50% cheaper.

DO NOT DO THIS.

Ebay is filled with Applecare scams. It works like this: The Ebay seller will sell you a code to activate your Applecare (it is emailed to you). You'll register the code, it works, you will be psyched you saved $ on Applecare by going the Ebay route. Because everyone is psyched the code works, they will quickly go and leave positive feedback to the seller (hence why so many Ebay Applecare sellers have an absurd amount of positive feedback). The Ebay seller will then return the Applecare to Apple down the road, and with that your activation code is absolutely useless. Making matters worse you cannot leave feedback on a seller 30 days or so after you make a purchase from them, so the seller is essentially immune from any damage and you get fucked over.

Yes, this happened to me. And yes, I contacted Ebay and they wouldn't do **** about it. Some additional online research of course proved to be my worst nightmare. This is a very well known scam and sadly Ebay doesn't do **** about it.

I'm not saying this is the case will all Applecare sellers on Ebay but you honestly never know if your discounted Applecare purchase will fall under this category or not. It really is not worth the hanging worry just to save the $.

My suggestion is to purchase from a third party vendor, as listed in a previous post.

Also I have nothing but good things to say about Apple when it comes to issues I have had with their products (except on one occasion when the constant fan noise and chirping sound of my brand new Macbook Air was deemed "normal" and hence I returned it a week later). My 3G iPhone was giving me all sorts of problems last fall and they replaced it with a refurb. Sadly this was the start of 3 refurbs in a row that all had issues. I kept my cool and despite the constant trips to the Apple store, the 4th refurb worked. I do however highly recommend you purchase Applecare for any iPhone or computer you buy from Apple. Just not directly from them because the price is dumb.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yikes! still i just bought my applecare from an eBay seller whom actually sends the physical packaging. i've also bought from a 3rd party seller of apple (LA computer company) that sells for cheaper too.

Originally Posted by blairh
DO NOT DO THIS.

Ebay is filled with Applecare scams. It works like this: The Ebay seller will sell you a code to activate your Applecare (it is emailed to you). You'll register the code, it works, you will be psyched you saved $ on Applecare by going the Ebay route. Because everyone is psyched the code works, they will quickly go and leave positive feedback to the seller (hence why so many Ebay Applecare sellers have an absurd amount of positive feedback). The Ebay seller will then return the Applecare to Apple down the road, and with that your activation code is absolutely useless. Making matters worse you cannot leave feedback on a seller 30 days or so after you make a purchase from them, so the seller is essentially immune from any damage and you get fucked over.

Yes, this happened to me. And yes, I contacted Ebay and they wouldn't do **** about it. Some additional online research of course proved to be my worst nightmare. This is a very well known scam and sadly Ebay doesn't do **** about it.

I'm not saying this is the case will all Applecare sellers on Ebay but you honestly never know if your discounted Applecare purchase will fall under this category or not. It really is not worth the hanging worry just to save the $.

My suggestion is to purchase from a third party vendor, as listed in a previous post.

Also I have nothing but good things to say about Apple when it comes to issues I have had with their products (except on one occasion when the constant fan noise and chirping sound of my brand new Macbook Air was deemed "normal" and hence I returned it a week later). My 3G iPhone was giving me all sorts of problems last fall and they replaced it with a refurb. Sadly this was the start of 3 refurbs in a row that all had issues. I kept my cool and despite the constant trips to the Apple store, the 4th refurb worked. I do however highly recommend you purchase Applecare for any iPhone or computer you buy from Apple. Just not directly from them because the price is dumb.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
yikes! still i just bought my applecare from an eBay seller whom actually sends the physical packaging. i've also bought from a 3rd party seller of apple (LA computer company) that sells for cheaper too.
If they're legit, with good feedback, etc., then you should be fine. Keep an eye on your registration. Apple has been known to cancel out AppleCare plans after them having been registered as valid.

blairh

Reaction score

Those two scenarios get my approval.

"If they're legit, with good feedback, etc., then you should be fine. Keep an eye on your registration. Apple has been known to cancel out AppleCare plans after them having been registered as valid."

Again, good feedback is not an indication of how "legit" they are. Also having to keep an eye on your registration, IMO, is a pain ********** and a unnecessary worry. Just spend a little extra and get it legit. Trust me.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Apple is giving out free bumpers to all iphone 4 buyers. If you already bought one, you get a refund. If you bought another iphone case, you can get a refund on that too.

This was really the only way short of a recall this was going to end well for them.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
Apple is giving out free bumpers to all iphone 4 buyers. If you already bought one, you get a refund. If you bought another iphone case, you can get a reund on that too.

This was really the only way short of a recall this was going to end well for them.

Meh, better than nothing. Anyone know how I can go about getting a free bumper if I already have an iPhone 4?

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you can just go ask but I didn't follow the press conference live.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
oh, boy.
plain.gif

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Apparently the press conference is turning into a train wreck.

The press are hounding them with questions in a rather hostile way while Jobs' answers are getting more and more sarcastic.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
Also, I've noted the iPhone doesn't seem to lock out the screen when I'm holding the phone to my cheek. I cannot hold the phone between my cheek and shoulder as I often do when doing something without putting the call on speaker, or hanging up by accident, or muting myself. I have had this problem nearly every time I try to do it (I do it a lot), whereas in ~2 years of owning a 3g, I never once had that problem. Perhaps it's a change in the software, or just down to the form factor, but another point for "buyer beware."

Hey, some good news here for me:

Mr. Jobs says the company has been "tracking some problems with the proximity sensor." Users have complained that it doesn't turn off the screen when they hold the phone near their faces, resulting in hangups.
Must not just have been me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads