• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official new iPhone 4

blairh

Reaction score
I just followed the whole thing live on Engadget. Holy ****. At one point a journalist told Steve he couldn't replicate the problem on his Blackberry Bold and asked him if he could show him how to do so.

Wow.

Kudos to the journalists who clearly were not going to eat this **** sandwich Apple was feeding them with a grin. It really comes down to this: Apple has a very flawed phone on their hands. They look amateur and foolish.

So the free bumper really was the only solution. It's a band-aid for a massive wound. What is very interesting is that on September 30th they will stop offering the free bumper. So that means by then something will have to be resolved. Perhaps the current production of iPhone's has already been ordered and they can't alter anything until new iPhone production resumes come fall. It doesn't make sense that you would offer bumpers now but in 2.5 months you won't. Something must change at that point.

This is a sad and ugly day for Apple. Even the loyal Apple fanboy will have to admit that. Personally though I'm dying to update my 3G iPhone and while I have no plans to use the bumper in most situations, it can actually become useful for when I'm at the gym and it's time to plop my iPhone down on the elliptical machine.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blairh
This is a sad and ugly day for Apple. Even the loyal Apple fanboy will have to admit that. Personally though I'm dying to update my 3G iPhone and while I have no plans to use the bumper in most situations, it can actually become useful for when I'm at the gym and it's time to plop my iPhone down on the elliptical machine.

Apple stock is up
eh.gif
I really thought it would be down, seeing as the Dow is down 236.66 points.

scb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It really comes down to this: Apple has a very flawed phone on their hands. They look amateur and foolish.

I'm perfectly satisfied with is, as is everyone else I know with the phone. You can tell me the phone sucks all you want, but that doesn't change the fact that it works fine for me (and no, I don't use a case)

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Allowing people to return them for a full refund is a good plan. My guess is that very few people will return them (largely because even with a reception issue, it's a great phone) and that will be another feather in their cap when they come out a few months from now and say "See? Only 1 in 200 people returned their phones. We told you it was blown out of proportion."

They ain't dumb.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
Allowing people to return them for a full refund is a good plan. My guess is that very few people will return them (largely because even with a reception issue, it's a great phone) and that will be another feather in their cap when they come out a few months from now and say "See? Only 1 in 200 people returned their phones. We told you it was blown out of proportion."

They ain't dumb.

I agree that most won't return them, it's a pain having to wait in line. Yet, Apple will be able to quote that relatively few were returned, and use the stat as a positive about the product.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
They're offering full refunds and there are other smartphones on the market you can choose instead--I think the remedy is perfectly adequate.

blairh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by scb
I'm perfectly satisfied with is, as is everyone else I know with the phone. You can tell me the phone sucks all you want, but that doesn't change the fact that it works fine for me (and no, I don't use a case)

Did you even bother to read my entire post dickcheese or just rush to reply because I said something bad about your precious iPhone 4? I'm going to get one and use the bumper at the gym. It's still a flawed phone. This was the right move by Apple but still a band-aid for a massive wound.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
we can already assume what their next course of action will be. after the next batch will be (probably after sep 30th) modified with a simple covering over the antenna (like a 3M laminate).

they'll do this stealthily though because it will ruffle feathers, again.

honestly i think the all glass and metal construction is more of a flaw compared with the antenna issue. its very very slippery, especially with gloved hands, and even on flat tables. what i mean on flat surfaces is that the glass is so flat and hard that it will literally float on a tiny pocket of air and move around. i've seen this at my work desk and dinner table.

i'll get my free bumper, but i've solved this issue by just putting a 1in piece of scotch tape over the antenna area. its really neat and practically invisible.

Did you even bother to read my entire post dickcheese or just rush to reply because I said something bad about your precious iPhone 4? I'm going to get one and use the bumper at the gym. It's still a flawed phone. This was the right move by Apple but still a band-aid for a massive wound.

v.freeman

Reaction score
Anyone want to bet that post-September iphones will no longer have this issue? They weren't going to admit a flaw because that would involve a recall of the initial 3mm models. The current solution minimizes Apple's cost to remedy the situation knowing full well most people won't go returning their phone and waiting for a few months for a hardware fix.

It's definitely a half-assed remedy and it's going to be a huge "**** you" when this supposed "non-problem" disappears from Q4 iphones.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

NaTionS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haven't really been following the issues with the antenna and yellow screens closely but for those who have it, would you recommend it? I'll be using a case with it so I guess that takes care of most (all?) if the signal problems?

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Where's my popcorn?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads