• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

tehq

Reaction score
Hello there,

does anyone own Meermin shoes made on the G-width Hiro last? I found the last to fit very well, near perfect, but had an extremely discouraging experience with Meermin's QC/customer service. Therefore I am looking for recommendations on lasts/shoes of other manufacturers that would fit well.
Any input is greatly appreciated!

schweezly

Reaction score
Done a lot of research but am still unsure. How do people find the RON unlined loafers to fit? My problem with loafers is usually either my small toe on the left is cramped or the heel is too wide.

I’m a 10-10.5d brannock but relatively low volume. Reference points:

Allen Edmonds:

9.5d in Randolph is tight but in non-shell can break in.

10d in the Patriot but the heel is a little loose.

10e or 10.5d in the 65 last (though 10.5 is a little long.)

Drakes: 9.5UK is best but a little play in the heels. I can take the 9 no problem but toes stretch the suede out to the stitching.

My gut says 9 or even 8.5 in the unlined Ron’s. Unfortunately 9 isn’t available in the Navy anymore which is my first choice.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Done a lot of research but am still unsure. How do people find the RON unlined loafers to fit? My problem with loafers is usually either my small toe on the left is cramped or the heel is too wide.

I’m a 10-10.5d brannock but relatively low volume. Reference points:

Allen Edmonds:

9.5d in Randolph is tight but in non-shell can break in.

10d in the Patriot but the heel is a little loose.

10e or 10.5d in the 65 last (though 10.5 is a little long.)

Drakes: 9.5UK is best but a little play in the heels. I can take the 9 no problem but toes stretch the suede out to the stitching.

My gut says 9 or even 8.5 in the unlined Ron’s. Unfortunately 9 isn’t available in the Navy anymore which is my first choice.
I'm very similar to you but my feet are very narrow toward the heel and my toes are wide and my left foot is quite bigger than the right. I have the 8.5, maybe could have gone down to the 8 but the 8.5s are quite comfortable. Only the slightest bit of slippiing on the right which I kind of expect from a loafer, and I've found over time as the leather moulds to my feet this happens less and less.

schweezly

Reaction score
I'm very similar to you but my feet are very narrow toward the heel and my toes are wide and my left foot is quite bigger than the right. I have the 8.5, maybe could have gone down to the 8 but the 8.5s are quite comfortable. Only the slightest bit of slippiing on the right which I kind of expect from a loafer, and I've found over time as the leather moulds to my feet this happens less and less.

You sound like my exact situation. Thanks for the info. Maybe I’ll order the 8.5 and see how they go. I prefer loafers on the tighter side

stylish_raven

Reaction score
ussually half way down is the way to go, wont be too tight specially being suede. BTW congratulations on the marrying, cheers.
Gents. I need help. I'm getting married in the Dominican Republic and will be wearing a fresco suit with loafers. I need sizing help. I want to get these unlined loafers below. I"m thinking since they're loafers, I should size down half a size

Allen Edmonds - 8D in all shoes
All casual shoes such as Nike training etc - 9D

THinking about going 7.5

View attachment 1142669
too t

aj805

Reaction score
I find the toe box on Hiro to be very narrow, so I wear a half size larger for Hiro than RMW Craftsman (regular/"G" width).

Dingusberry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just got my first pair of Meermin Oxfords in the Hiro last. I bought a pair of Snuff Suede boots 4-5 years that I still wear. However, the Oxfords are very tight, stiff (which is expected from this thread) and tough to break in. The shoes are not uncomfortable when I wear them, but I struggle to put them on and taking them off. Does this get better after a while, i.e. putting them on and off? I have never experienced this before.

Quesjac

Reaction score
I just got my first pair of Meermin Oxfords in the Hiro last. I bought a pair of Snuff Suede boots 4-5 years that I still wear. However, the Oxfords are very tight, stiff (which is expected from this thread) and tough to break in. The shoes are not uncomfortable when I wear them, but I struggle to put them on and taking them off. Does this get better after a while, i.e. putting them on and off? I have never experienced this before.
Are you unlacing them all the way down the shoe when you put them on?? If not you should try that.

MrParkinsons

Reaction score
Hello all! Sorry, I'm new to StyleForum so apologies if there's a way of searching this thread for Hiro-related last questions.

I'm considering buying my first pair of Meermin shoes in the form of their current tasseled loafers available MTO. My issue is related to sizing (surprise, surprise), as I have really quite wide feet. Meermin recommend that I go for a 10, but I have seen people saying that the Hiro last is not overly generous in the width. What are people's experiences with this last? I am a 10 on Loake's River last (after some wearing in), a 10.5 on Capital (also requiring quite some wearing in), and a 10H in RM Williams (although I do completely fill the width out). The fact that they are suede and unlined makes me think they'll give, but I don't want to completely distort the shape.

Finally, any fixes for if I go for a 10.5 and they're too big?

Many thanks in advance!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads