• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

othertravel

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Meermin boots are showing up as $245 on the U.S. Website. How much are they on the European site?

Thanks!

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it seems the tough heel stiffeners are a pretty common issue with Meermin shoes. If so, why are people so into them (I understand it's a more affordable option - but still, to take years to beak in a shoe - is that worthwhile?
They key point is fit!!. If fit is not really good in these kind of shoes, then you will suffer a lot. I can only wear the Olfe last.

ryewo[i dmfsOZI490w

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm finding it pretty incredible that people are continuing to buy shoes that are talking so long to break in. Aren't you doing serious damage to your feet by wearing these uncomfortable shoes?

Wouldn't it really be better to spend more and get something that wouldn't take 2 years to break in?

Pbayvip

Reaction score
The fact that one person said that his shoes have not broken in for two years, doesn't mean that all of us have the same experience.
Again, all my LM shoes and chukkas have been great so far. Leather quality far exceeds the price asked.

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have heard anything about Meermin quality, so I decided to check it by myself and I just got a pair of HW booties.

I have wear them for 2 days, and yes...they are very stiff (double sole HW shoes usually are). After 20 wears I will place my comments here. No need to wait for 2 years.

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have heard anything about Meermin quality, so I decided to check it by myself and I just got a pair of HW  booties.  

I have wear them for 2 days, and yes...they are very stiff (double sole HW shoes usually are).  After 20 wears I will place my comments here. No need to wait for 2 years.

Meermin LM shoes wear great. Don't need to break in at all.

The downside is the construction detail and leather quality. But at its price point nothing to be complained about.

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear that @chogal, I will have to check it soon (at the moment they are as sitff as a rock). My leather is Museum Calf and it is quite nice. And yes 330 € for a HW bootie in MC...it is a a very wise purchase if the shoe hold ups well.

Just wanted to add that I had a flaw in my shoes and Meermin recrafted them in about a month and a half time. Quite happy with them.

evereds

Reaction score
Meermin still uses shell from Argentina. At least that is what I was told today. Good leather for their price.

Thanks for the information. It would certainly be a good news to all of us if that is true.

However, reading from the most recently finished shell cordovan MTO page (https://www.meermin.es/grupoMTO.php?idGrupo=278), it stated there "Meermin Shell Cordovan shoes are made using Shell Cordovan, made by a family owned tannery in the heart of Japan, following ancient methods."

It seems to suggest they are using Japanese shell (i.e. that "Shinki" brand?)? or may it could be reconciled as "shell from Argentina being processed in Japan"? I have no personal knowledge on this at all and I do not wish make any wild guess.

I like meermin and I own a good number of pairs (none is shell, though), so I would be happy if meermin really uses higher quality shell.

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Glad to hear that @chogal, I will have to check it soon (at the moment they are as sitff as a rock).  My leather is Museum Calf and it is quite nice.  And yes 330 € for a HW bootie in MC...it is a a very wise purchase if the shoe hold ups well. 

Just wanted to add that I had a flaw in my shoes and Meermin recrafted them in about a month and a half time.  Quite happy with them.

Meermin is more liberal in using upper leathers so it's luck based. Poor leather can't be salvaged. Neither can low tier constructions.

Wears very good, very good for the price.

Jarmo

Reaction score
The fact that one person said that his shoes have not broken in for two years, doesn't mean that all of us have the same experience.
Again, all my LM shoes and chukkas have been great so far. Leather quality far exceeds the price asked.
And to Meermin's defence, my heels are very peculiar in shape. I can still wear them quite fine but I cannot walk in them for long distances. As I said it didn't bother me enough to keep me from buying a new pair from them. I also sent them an email about the construction and suggested that they would use leather as the stiffener in the heels and toes of their shoes and they said they would strongly consider my suggestion. :)

With everything else I've been quite happy with Meermin!

ryewo[i dmfsOZI490w

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So 2 years was just one person, and in the interest of having a good discussion, I shouldn't have focused on that.

There are, however, many many posts of person saying they just can't walk far with these shoes, they are getting blisters just wearing them, and the heels and toes are extremely unforgiving.

From what I've read, the LM line is probably the better buy, and it's the Classic line that has these issues.

I'm trying to figure out why so many people are putting up with potentially ruining their feet. It's not exactly great value if you're not comfortable, regardless of how good the shoes may look, or how little they cost comparatively.

This is what's making me so hesitant to try them. Well that, shipping, duties and the low CAD. Might as well bite the bullet and keep an eye out for Carminas.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads