• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

cbfn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'd say comparable to LM are Herring, some of Loake models and I heard that Yanko as well (although no personal experience with Yanko).

Not Loake and Herring's main line, they are on par or below Meermins classic line. Herring's premier line is however on par with Meermin LM.

Last edited:

snuff_daddy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

New Ray =  B width + Low instep
Olfe =          D width + Average instep**  (Similar to AE5. More room in toes than olfe but tapers more as well (From what I have heard).)
Hiro =          D width + High Instep

**Average instep  = AE5

General rules for fit (for those with access to Allen Edmonds.  AE5 = Allen Edmonds 5 last.)
======================================
For an USA D width foot (And USA C width too)
AE5-US - 1 = Olfe/Hiro-UK
Ex:
I wear 8.5 AE-5 = 7.5 UK olfe/hiro

For an USA E*** width foot 
(*** In Europe they say E is the average width. So An europian E is the same as an USD D)
AE5-US - .5 = Olfe/Hiro-UK
Ex:
I wear 8.5 AE-5 = 8 UK olfe/hiro

For an C/B with foot
Ask for help from members.
You may want new ray.

Make sure the instep is close to your foot instep or you will have heel slip.
Make sure the length is right so your toes are not smashed
The width can be a bit a bit snug as it will expand. But too lose and it will have other slippage issues.

For the park last you will have to read a few pages back on what terror squad said.

Thank you for this post. Sizing advice was spot on. I just got my Meermin Monks (Hiro) and they fit almost perfect. I wear a 8.5E in AE Strands and got a 8UK Hiro. FYI Shipping only took 8 days from the date I ordered the shoes to get to Florida.

Last edited:

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That sizing post should be the first post wiki for this thread.

sean anon

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with casual boots in the Hiro last?

These boots looks great but I am worried about the last which seems to narrow for the style

https://meermin.es/grupoMTO.php?idGrupo=201

When I look at my closed lace shoes on the Hiro last although they fit it is hard to imagine this on a rugged boot. Would the shape be somewhat different in a boot?

mosy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just the open laces itself will change the shape to a bit of a wider profile in that area, compared to your closed lace shoe. The toe box will be the same though.

mosy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am thinking about the current MTO for the Norvegese "Naturecalf" boots. Does anyone here have experience with Meemrin's Naturecalf leather, on a shoe or boot? Is it really a better leather than their standard calf? Does it come as shiny as in the photos they are showing?

WWW_4560_519.png

sean anon

Reaction score
Just the open laces itself will change the shape to a bit of a wider profile in that area, compared to your closed lace shoe. The toe box will be the same though.

Thanks. I am trying to envision this as MTO means no returns of course. The toe box fits fine bt snug on the sies but the shape and looks of the closed lace shoes seems a bit dainty in a way to envision casual boots. They actually fit me almost perfectly as dress shoes. I don't think sizing up makes sense as I have enough room to the front of the shoe.

I've tried on the closed lace shoes with normal socks and honestly it is not possible to tell how this translates to boots I think

mosy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I am trying to envision this as MTO means no returns of course. The toe box fits fine bt snug on the sies but the shape and looks of the closed lace shoes seems a bit dainty in a way to envision casual boots. They actually fit me almost perfectly as dress shoes. I don't think sizing up makes sense as I have enough room to the front of the shoe.

I've tried on the closed lace shoes with normal socks and honestly it is not possible to tell how this translates to boots I think
I definitely hear your concern about the toe shape being dainty for a casual boot. And if you aren't sure, then I guess don't pull the trigger. However, I think with the grained leather (country calf), sky welt, and double vibram commando soles, these are definitely a casual boot.

sean anon

Reaction score
I definitely hear your concern about the toe shape being dainty for a casual boot. And if you aren't sure, then I guess don't pull the trigger. However, I think with the grained leather (country calf), sky welt, and double vibram commando soles, these are definitely a casual boot.

yes, the price is just so good! Alden boots I am looking at are like $580 USD

I do think now they would fit as the shape on the upper would be a little different allowing for normal socks to be comfortable. In terms of the shape I am just not sure so might have to pass. It seems like a dress boot shape with very casual elements.

mosy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok can you guys give me an opinion as to which of these boots are nicer and which are a better value.

Meermin MTO (Linea Maestro) in dark brown Naturecalf with Norvegese welt. Commando stitched onto leather sole.

WWW_4560_519.png
WWW_4560_520.png

or......

Carmine Jumper Boots in brown grain calf on Victoria rubber sole.

brown_jumper_carmina_80184_l-2.jpg

brown_jumper_carmina_80184_Sadl.jpg

I would like to make this decision in next 24 hours so I'm looking for as many opinions as possible quickly.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!

Last edited:

Usonian

Reaction score
While I own neither, the consensus around here seems to be that Carmina is the superior selection. That being said, naturcalf v. grain calf definitely have different vibes, and I feel like deep down, you know which one will work better in your current wardrobe, or the wardrobe you're trying to create.

mosy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While I own neither, the consensus around here seems to be that Carmina is the superior selection. That being said, naturcalf v. grain calf definitely have different vibes, and I feel like deep down, you know which one will work better in your current wardrobe, or the wardrobe you're trying to create.

Thanks. Actually I'm really torn between these 2 boots. I am looking for a brown boot that straddles the dress/casual line. I feel like both of these boots do that. The Meermins have a nice dark shiny leather, which is more to the dress side, but the Norvegese stitching brings a very casual element, making it a nice balance. The Carminas have a lighter grain leather, which is a bit more casual, but the welt is a traditional goodyear, making it a bit more dressy in that sense, also creating a nice balance.
Regarding the quality, based on what I've read around here, I feel like the Meermin LM line is very close in quality, if not actually comparable, to Carmina.
So what do you think? lol

Usonian

Reaction score
Thanks. Actually I'm really torn between these 2 boots. I am looking for a brown boot that straddles the dress/casual line. I feel like both of these boots do that. The Meermins have a nice dark shiny leather, which is more to the dress side, but the Norvegese stitching brings a very casual element, making it a nice balance. The Carminas have a lighter grain leather, which is a bit more casual, but the welt is a traditional goodyear, making it a bit more dressy in that sense, also creating a nice balance.
Regarding the quality, based on what I've read around here, I feel like the Meermin LM line is very close in quality, if not actually comparable, to Carmina.
So what do you think? lol

True, but these are MTOs, not LM. However I assume the quality is upped at least slightly due to the fact that it's relatively small batches being made.

Personally, I prefer the Meermins over the Carminas, but I'm also not huge on grain calf for no good reason, unless it's paired with suede, so consider that. I just think it keeps a general clean appearance, but the norvegese stitching pops nicely. I think it's a pair you could beat up, but throw a shine on it and wear it with a casual suit, but I think the calf grain on the Carminas keeps them a little more casual. Also, not a huge fan of the notch in the Carminas.

mosy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
True, but these are MTOs, not LM. However I assume the quality is upped at least slightly due to the fact that it's relatively small batches being made.

Personally, I prefer the Meermins over the Carminas, but I'm also not huge on grain calf for no good reason, unless it's paired with suede, so consider that. I just think it keeps a general clean appearance, but the norvegese stitching pops nicely. I think it's a pair you could beat up, but throw a shine on it and wear it with a casual suit, but I think the calf grain on the Carminas keeps them a little more casual. Also, not a huge fan of the notch in the Carminas.

Thanks again, I appreciate your opinion!

By the way, Meermin MTO's are always made either in "Classic" quality or "LM" quality. This particular MTO is actually being made with LM quality. The price on them gave it away. I emailed them and they confirmed these are LM equivalent. After all, they don't use any Naturcalf on their Classic line, and certainly no Norvegese. If these were "classic" quality I would not even consider getting them at $400+.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads