• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This watch really is a perfect starter watch. My wife has been running with it, sometimes up to 20 km per run and it still more or less only loses 1 to 2 per day.

I don’t think anything in this price point is as accurate, except GS spring drive.

Also, the crystal and grey dial are such a nice touch. Really does nail the vintage vibe. I have 0 regrets selling my 66 submariner because I just borrow this when I’m in the mood for vintage lol

I think the domed crystal really works on these watches! I like it on the BB58 as well.

Sat next to a guy on a flight last week with the previous gen VC Overseas. Like other integrated bracelet watches it's impossible to mistake for anything else. For Richemont trash, I came away very impressed.

Chrono24 shows that model (4500V) selling just a hair over MSRP while the current version (4520V) sells for 20-30% over. It checks a lot of boxes for me (SS sports watch, 100m WR, date, open case back, etc.) but $25K seems crazy to me.

I'm intrigued enough to stop by the local VC boutique. Anyone have experience with the Newbury St. store?

symphvaria

Reaction score
I think the domed crystal really works on these watches! I like it on the BB58 as well.

Sat next to a guy on a flight last week with the previous gen VC Overseas. Like other integrated bracelet watches it's impossible to mistake for anything else. For Richemont trash, I came away very impressed.

Chrono24 shows that model (4500V) selling just a hair over MSRP while the current version (4520V) sells for 20-30% over. It checks a lot of boxes for me (SS sports watch, 100m WR, date, open case back, etc.) but $25K seems crazy to me.

I'm intrigued enough to stop by the local VC boutique. Anyone have experience with the Newbury St. store?
The big problem with the current Overseas is that it’s a gigantic brick of a watch. I hope you have huge wrists, and even then it may still look disproportionally large on you.

Ebitdaddy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I broke into @Scuppers back yard

IMG_2389.jpeg

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I looked at and tried on a few versions of the second gen Overseas and was underwhelmed. I say that as an owner of 2 VC dress watches. I think they just started to smooth out several design issues with the 3rd generation.

A few months ago I visited the Newbury Street boutique with a few watch collector friends (one has a gold Fifty-Six and the other has an older time only Overseas. It's a nice store and the SAs were pleasant.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The big problem with the current Overseas is that it’s a gigantic brick of a watch. I hope you have huge wrists, and even then it may still look disproportionally large on you.
It certainly seemed larger than the listed spec of 41mm.

FlithyButler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's the point of wearing 15mm+ bricks.

Duh... so everyone will be forced to notice the scope of its erection off of your wrist (so that they subconsciously register how definitely-not-small the erection of your other appendages are).

FlithyButler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Desperate Times = Desperate Measures

eBay have been pestering me to buy a time trinket, with the incentive coupon code offering a discount of "10% off lUxUrY Watches".

The catch? To qualify the item must have a *minimum* price of £2,000GBP

(Bubble go... pop)

acconrad

Reaction score
The addiction has begun.

Wore the PP 5196 last night at a dinner date and then put it back in its case and I thought "damn I wish I had a watch I could wear more casually throughout the weekend"

Once again I'm stalking European Watch Co for their Rolex OPs and JLC Reversos...

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For a while, I've been keeping some powder dry waiting for the "right" vintage watch. I've had pretty generous monetary parameters - something under $10k - but aside from that I have been all over the map in terms of what I have been looking at. I spent a lot of time thinking about early Heuer Carreras, but never found the one. That is where I spent a lot of my time just because I think they are beautiful and tremendously undervalued. Looked at a handful of JLC Memovox, but none ever clicked. Have been immensely close to pulling the trigger on any number of vintage Datejusts - particularly Buckley dials! - and UG Polerouters. And, more recently, I've looked at a number of Piagets. And I am always waiting for a nice CPCP Cartier to dip under $10k. No luck so far.

Well, today I made a pretty impulsive decision and jumped on a lovely iteration of a watch I have been looking for for a long time (2021?). This is what caused me to pounce:

Personally, I find these old Movados - particularly, the Celestograf - to be immensely interesting and beautiful. Achingly beautiful, in fact. This is mentioned in the Hairspring article, but they feel 6062 / Killy-ish. Like many, when I think Movado I think the Museum watch. And I adore that Movado had an entire history before that Museum watch. A history that the great majority of people are completely unaware of.

While I am excited, I am also a little worried. I have always been a new watch guy and this is my initial foray into vintage, and I wonder how I will feel about that. I am somewhat bothered by imperfections, especially when they are not caused by me. Also, the sizing is a little on the small side, although it is only a hair smaller than my Explorer and has visually prominent lugs.

fca6264d-7cbd-4540-9343-ded720eed412.jpeg

Last edited:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For a while, I've been keeping some powder dry waiting for the "right" vintage watch. I've had pretty generous monetary parameters - something under $10k - but aside from that I have been all over the map in terms of what I have been looking at. I spent a lot of time thinking about early Heuer Carreras, but never found the one. That is where I spent a lot of my time just because I think they are beautiful and tremendously undervalued. Looked at a handful of JLC Memovox, but none ever clicked. Have been immensely close to pulling the trigger on any number of vintage Datejusts - particularly Buckley dials! - and UG Polerouters. And, more recently, I've looked at a number of Piagets. And I am always waiting for a nice CPCP Cartier to dip under $10k. No luck so far.

Well, today I made a pretty impulsive decision and jumped on a lovely iteration of a watch I have been looking for for a long time (2021?). This is what caused me to pounce:

Personally, I find these old Movados - particularly, the Celestograf - to be immensely interesting and beautiful. Achingly beautiful, in fact. This is mentioned in the Hairspring article, but they feel 6062 / Killy-ish. Like many, when I think Movado I think the Museum watch. And I adore that Movado had an entire history before that Museum watch. A history that the great majority of people are completely unaware of.

While I am excited, I am also a little worried. I have always been a new watch guy and this is my initial foray into vintage, and I wonder how I will feel about that. I am somewhat bothered by imperfections, especially when they are not caused by me. Also, the sizing is a little on the small side, although it is only a hair smaller than my Explorer and has visually prominent lugs.

View attachment 2176215
Congrats on your new to your Movado! Really an interesting watch, with very cool lugs! Movado was a great brand with some interesting offerings back in the day. Wishing you lots of enjoyment from your new watch. :cheers:

chocomallo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 2176215
Gorgeous! Is that the original bracelet? That thing is magnificent. It’s up there with Clouseau’s Piaget.

Scuppers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 2176215
Surely that has been cleaned up, so many of this particular model I have seen were a complete mess. Brilliant find, N.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I spent a lot of time thinking about early Heuer Carreras

I spent a fair amount of time looking at these as well. In addition to the watches, my interest lies in the motorsports connection. The variety of configurations make for a daunting task. I learned a lot but never found one that checks all the boxes.

Movado is a very cool choice. Enjoy!

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 2176215
That 7 tho....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads