• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

PiCcolocV

Reaction score
Never ordered Meermin shoes before, so here's a couple of questions:

1. Is there any wait time for the classic line?
2. Do they exclude VAT ?
3. Who do they use for shipping?

I need some new shoes before the 17th of May, and their classic line looks decent.
I placed an order for a classic line pair on 4/19, got "ready to ship" 4/28, fed ex tracking is showing delivery tomorrow. VAT was excluded. Edit: YMMV

Last edited:

wklq76a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Quick update on the balmoral boot shell MTO in dark brown. The boots have been closed and are waiting to be lasted and welted, so probably still a couple of weeks away. Pepe is sending some pictures later, so will post these here when I get them.

Any chance Pepe has sent pics yet?

shoosensuits

Reaction score
Seeking advice from those who own Meermins in both Olfe and Hiro lasts. I'm finding that Olfe runs very long, such that Olfe in 9UK is about one half size long and 8.5UK in Hiro is about a half size short. I wear a 10 in the AE 108 last.

Anyone else have the same experience?

handmade

Reaction score
My experience with Meermin: I picked up two pairs of shoes from their Classic line recently, the country calf boots (Rui last), and oxfords (Olfe). The boots were the reason the Meermin brand came to my attention, and they do not disappoint. The quality of the leather and finish is great. With the oxfords, there were some small rips on the heel inner lining from the makeshift plastic and paper shoetrees they use while in transit, and the punching was damaged in places (probably due to leather dryness). They promptly offered me a replacement when I wrote to them. I suppose I'll have to live with the crooked heel stitching on one of the replacement shoes ;). IMO on the value for money front Meermin are hard to beat, though I might move up to the LM line or the Carmina label for my next Spanish shoe purchase. Thanks to SF members for all the invaluable information here.

Last edited:

darthng

Reaction score
Would like to share my experience on the sizing. Got myself the oxfords black calf (hiro) and tan country calf double monk (hiro) from their classic line. Both are in size 8UK. The oxfords definitely wear smaller than the double monk despite the same size and last. My feet are still in pain wearing the oxfords after rotating 3 months now.

attk

Reaction score

Seeking advice from those who own Meermins in both Olfe and Hiro lasts. I'm finding that Olfe runs very long, such that Olfe in 9UK is about one half size long and 8.5UK in Hiro is about a half size short. I wear a 10 in the AE 108 last.

Anyone else have the same experience?

Hope my experience can help. I owned 3 pairs meermin which they are Olfe 8.5, Hiro 8.0 and 8.5.
Olfe feels snug to me and took abt ten time wear to breakin. Hiro at 8.5 is comfortable and has some room in lenghtwise so my second purchase of hiro was half size down. I found it snugs but i took severval time to break in only. Hiro 8.0 did fit my feet very well.

phphl

Reaction score
Would like to share my experience on the sizing. Got myself the oxfords black calf (hiro) and tan country calf double monk (hiro) from their classic line. Both are in size 8UK. The oxfords definitely wear smaller than the double monk despite the same size and last. My feet are still in pain wearing the oxfords after rotating 3 months now.

Can someone shed some light on this issue as well?

I currently own a pair of 8UK country calf DM (Hiro). Thinking of getting a pair of black oxford in Hiro last. if what you say is true in general then i'll have to go up half size... (the 8UK monks are very snug for me)

Thanks darthng for the heads up!
smile.gif

Jeroen Vriend

Reaction score
Can someone shed some light on this issue as well?

I currently own a pair of 8UK country calf DM (Hiro). Thinking of getting a pair of black oxford in Hiro last. if what you say is true in general then i'll have to go up half size... (the 8UK monks are very snug for me)

Thanks darthng for the heads up!
smile.gif

I would buy the 8UK and then let the cobbler stretch them a little bit. It's strange that there's a different fit, because they use the same last.

Last edited:

NickInTO

Reaction score
After waiting a month and paying $185 in import fees my 2 pairs of Meermins arrived! But they sent the wrong size. I ordered UK9, the box says UK9, but the shoes inside were UK10.5. Now I have to go through the nightmare of an international return.

An update on this. I paid $120.49 to ship the shoes back via Canada Post, as instructed. They have been stuck in Spanish customs for a week. I'm now relying on Canada Post and Spain's postal service for information (neither of which inspire hope). I'm currently out $820 for 1 pair of shoes and 3 jars of shoe cream. No response to my emails from Meermin.

All in all, a complete nightmare. Any Canadians thinking about ordering from Meermin should plan for the possibility of ballooning costs.

JezeC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nick,

Due to the high cost of returns, a better alternative is to simply sell the wrong-sized shoes at a lost (probably at around $50) and reorder via Meermin with a discount to offset your lost. This might be the most amicable option.

It is not financially feasible to absorb the cost of return for either parties.

NickInTO

Reaction score
Nick,

Due to the high cost of returns, a better alternative is to simply sell the wrong-sized shoes at a lost (probably at around $50) and reorder via Meermin with a discount to offset your lost. This might be the most amicable option.

It is not financially feasible to absorb the cost of return for either parties.

The shoes have already been returned. Meermin is supposedly going to refund me the money for the return shipment. But who knows when they'll actually receive the shoes.

Agrajag

Reaction score
When I returned a pair, they were "being processed for import" more than a month. I suspect they don't have time to go collect returns very often...

NickInTO

Reaction score
When I returned a pair, they were "being processed for import" more than a month. I suspect they don't have time to go collect returns very often...

Thanks for sharing, appreciated. But if it's simply a matter of Meermin not going to get them, while leaving me holding the bill for shipping + taking my money for shoes I don't have, that's pretty despicable.

It's also quite possible that Spain's postal service is an accurate reflection of the country's disastrous economy and 26% unemployment rate.

But, I will stop derailing the thread. Thanks for letting me vent!

Last edited:

AdRock

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing, appreciated. But if it's simply a matter of Meermin not going to get them, while leaving me holding the bill for shipping + taking my money for shoes I don't have, that's pretty despicable.

It's also quite possible that Spain's postal service is an accurate reflection of the country's disastrous economy and 26% unemployment rate.

But, I will stop derailing the thread. Thanks for letting me vent!

Just curious Nick who the shipping company was that handled your original import into Canada. The duties on my two pairs were not nearly as high.

Also experiences exactly like what you have endured are what is stopping me from order a few more pairs from Meermin. I realize that some of this is out of their control but it really is unfortunate that you have to accept some potentially huge risks in order to deal with Meermin. Add in the uncertainty over how some of the different lasts will fit and Meermin becomes less and less feasible for us in NA.

It really is to bad as I love the look of my Dark Brown Double Monks and still get compliments on them whenever I wear them around the office. Truthfully even after typing all of this, I will still probably take a risk at some point in the future and try to secure a few more pairs from them. Addicts do strange things sometimes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads