• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Osiris2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is a WiP I got from Pepe for the Museum Calf Mk. II order, re; dying leather or not.

Brown looks great, look forward to them adding it to the regular line up, but I don't recall seeing this MTO in recent times, how long have you been waiting for this one?

othertravel

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

In my latest Meermin adventure, the nails come through the insole...

I found that a bit odd as I've never seen it before, especially in both shoes. Anyone else find this in theirs? I will likely just get a cheap thin leather insole to cover.

Sounds like a defective. Might start drilling a hole through your foot (happened to me once on a non meermin shoe).

leetpuma

Reaction score
This is a WiP I got from Pepe for the Museum Calf Mk. II order, re; dying leather or not.

Museum Calf is pre-finished at the tannery for sure. So don't worry about this case.

But even with regular leather its probably okay to finsh after. Since the pores are open enough to accept dye.

But with shell cordovan I have a feeling the color would have a hard time sticking (because of small pores). BUT I am not convinced that this is happening since when I asked Meermin if they could source a medium green shell (instead of leaf green) they said they could not.

If they were 100% dying after the fact they could have altered the color for me and sold it to me.
So I am not sure what the truth is yet there is conflicting evidence.

Last edited:

PapaRubbery

Reaction score
Brown looks great, look forward to them adding it to the regular line up, but I don't recall seeing this MTO in recent times, how long have you been waiting for this one?

Hey bro - these came through mid last year. I've only actually worn them a dozen times - but they've broken in well!

Museum Calf is pre-finished at the tannery for sure. So don't worry about this case.

But even with regular leather its probably okay to finsh after. Since the pores are open enough to accept dye.

But with shell cordovan I have a feeling the color would have a hard time sticking (because of small pores). BUT I am not convinced that this is happening since when I asked Meermin if they could source a medium green shell (instead of leaf green) they said they could not.

If they were 100% dying after the fact they could have altered the color for me and sold it to me.

Keep us all posted - I wouldn't mind getting some undyed pairs and having them finished by dandy shoe care.

member2000r

Reaction score
Hi guys, I wonder if I am suitable for meermin lasts like olfe, hiro & park if I am in Carmina rain, forest and avoid Simpson & uetem...

Thanks a lot

p.henrik

Reaction score

I really don't think so (i.e. they don't normally dye the leather in house, it's dyed at the tannery). That is probably just crust calf that comes untanned, and you can apply whatever patination you want. Like SL does for example.

Last edited:

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
shell cordovan....I am not sure what the truth is yet there is conflicting evidence.

Shells are normally dyed by the tannery, especially as they're harder to dye. I don't know anything about Meermin's Argentinian tannery, but I'd also assumed they supply everything ready-dyed.

However, if you did want a custom dye job on shell, then Septieme Largeur sell some of their models in tanned but un-dyed shell, to which they can apply a "patina" i.e. paint it with dye. They are also happy to ship the shoes in the raw for you or someone else to do it if you wish e.g. Alexander Nurulaeff as mentioned above. I don't know how much more difficult it is that their similar arrangements with crust, but they offer it, so it must be possible. Here you go.

leetpuma

Reaction score
I really don't think so (i.e. they don't normally dye the leather in house, it's dyed at the tannery). That is probably just crust calf that comes untanned, and you can apply whatever patination you want. Like SL does for example.
I would think so too but they posted this video which is Shell Cordovan and it is being pigmented in some way.

I wouldn't mind getting some undyed pairs and having them finished by dandy shoe care.
You can always MTO unfinished/undyed shoes and patina them yourself of one of those fancy places.
Hell since its one step less for them I wonder if they would do it on stock models.

Shells are normally dyed by the tannery, especially as they're harder to dye. I don't know anything about Meermin's Argentinian tannery, but I'd also assumed they supply everything ready-dyed.
Thats what i expected but that video kinda broke that expectations since they looked like the were painting the shell inhouse.

It could have been a special order or something.

Thanks for the links to Septieme Largeur

Last edited:

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Sorry I didn't realise the pic you showed was from Meermin: well that's another explanation for the reasonable pricing of the shell, perhaps: it's not going to take as long to prepare as Horween's does, if it doesn't get the dye treatments after the initial tanning.

leetpuma

Reaction score
Sorry I didn't realise the pic you showed was from Meermin: well that's another explanation for the reasonable pricing of the shell, perhaps: it's not going to take as long to prepare as Horween's does, if it doesn't get the dye treatments after the initial tanning.

Yea. I truthfully care more about the structural integrety that the shell cordovan gives. If I can re-color it evey so often so its not a big deal to me.

But it would be nice to know what is the "right" recolorer. (I am assuming saphir cordovan cream is probably as good as it gets.)

terrorsquad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can someone shed some light on this issue as well?

I currently own a pair of 8UK country calf DM (Hiro). Thinking of getting a pair of black oxford in Hiro last. if what you say is true in general then i'll have to go up half size... (the 8UK monks are very snug for me)

Thanks darthng for the heads up!
smile.gif

I have both the Hiro in DM and Oxfords; the DM is snug and the Oxfords are even worse.

With regards to the Park last, if you have a high instep, I will advise you to forget about it. Choose the same size as your Olfe if your going for the Park last though if you have slightly wide feet, your small toe may feel uncomfortable.

phphl

Reaction score

I have both the Hiro in DM and Oxfords; the DM is snug and the Oxfords are even worse. 

With regards to the Park last, if you have a high instep, I will advise you to forget about it. Choose the same size as your Olfe if your going for the Park last though if you have slightly wide feet, your small toe may feel uncomfortable.

Thanks! I'll go up half size then...
Any idea as to why the same last would lead to different sizing though?
Another question I'd like to ask is whether this issue arises for the olfe last too? I.e uk8 in olfe double monks = 8.5 olfe oxford?

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Yea. I truthfully care more about the structural integrety that the shell cordovan gives. If I can re-color it evey so often so its not a big deal to me.

But it would be nice to know what is the "right" recolorer. (I am assuming saphir cordovan cream is probably as good as it gets.)

By the look of it they paint it with dye. That would be hard to re-do. But adding layers of cream and polish would certainly change the effect, although on cordovan, the general advice is that less is more. I'm not sure you want to try to change the look of a cordovan shoe too much.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads