• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Geran Brown

Reaction score
@Claus: You mentioned units instead of length...how much is one (1) unit to you in your description to leetpuma?

Last edited:

Geran Brown

Reaction score

UK and US units are 1/3 inch which equals 8.47 mm.
Interesting, I've never knew that until today. I'm going to try your website once I get my wife to trace my foot.

Where did you find this Unit measurement at because I can't find it anywhere?

Claus

Reaction score

Where did you find this Unit measurement at because I can't find it anywhere?

Wikipedia's page on shoes size mentions that the UK system is based on Barleycorn. Three barleycorns equals 1 inch. The US system is a variant of the UK system. Overall, however, the page is a mess, and I think, much there is incorrect.

Thus, I corroborated the info from other sources I could get my hands on. For instance, in the "International encyclopedia of ergonomics and human factors, Volume 2" by Waldemar Karwowski [Ed.], one contributor writes:

In the US and Uk systems, the shoe size length changes by 1/3 inch per shoe size and the girth by 1/4 inch per shoe size.

William J. Bodziak, in "Footwear impression evidence: detection, recovery, and examination" writes:

The English system measures sizes in increments of 1/3 inch in length, with half sizes of 1/6 in. The size scale begins at 4 in. in length with size 0. After size 13, which measures 8 1/3 in, the sizing begin again at the next 1/3-in. increment again with 1.

Generally speaking, your shoes got their size because a master last is arbitrarily labeled, and then graded. The grading procedure works by appyling pre-defined differences. If you're into maths, shoe sizing is defined by the first derivative.

In practise, it's is a bit more complicated, but that's the gist.

To get back on topic, Meermin seems to follow the same formular I use. They are better in estimating shoe and foot volume, because I don't have many ratings and measurements for Meermin, yet.

Geran Brown

Reaction score
@Claus: Thanks for the explanation. I really do appreciate it :)

I really need to get my feet measured correctly because the AE store measured it at an 8D on the Brannock and Meermin suggest I get a 7D in all their shoes...lol

Shawl Lapel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Plum museums have arrived! No flaws that I can see, and the colour is beautiful.
Both the 'museum' effect and the 'plum' shade are more subtle than I was expecting, which is perfect IMO. Unique in the right lighting, but not outrageous. Thanks to terrorsquad for organising!
Ok I'm sold. I need to get in on one of these MTOs :slayer:

abi1986

Reaction score
Ok I'm sold. I need to get in on one of these MTOs
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
+1

Bluepilot

Reaction score
Got my plum museums as well today. I'm very happy with it, no noticeable flaws. And as a little bonus a Saphir Medaille d'Or High Gloss wax in burgundy was included. Now I'm wondering, won't the colored wax obscure the 'museum' effect and should I use a clear wax instead?

Herr Brun

Reaction score
I got two pairs of meermins this week (my third and fourth pair), dark brown quarter brogues on the olfe last and tan country calf longwings on the rui last. I was afraid the sizing would be off on the olfe last, but it seems to work out fine. They are both UK11, and the rui is a bit spacy, but not so much that it's a problem.

But there is another problem: they sent me the wrong shoe trees. They are marked 46/47, whereas my older ones are marked 44/45. They barely fit in the shoes, and getting them in is quite hard. Will this damage the shoes or make them crease weirdly? Or are shoe trees supposed to be a tight fit?

anrobit

Reaction score
I got two pairs of meermins this week (my third and fourth pair), dark brown quarter brogues on the olfe last and tan country calf longwings on the rui last. I was afraid the sizing would be off on the olfe last, but it seems to work out fine. They are both UK11, and the rui is a bit spacy, but not so much that it's a problem.

But there is another problem: they sent me the wrong shoe trees. They are marked 46/47, whereas my older ones are marked 44/45. They barely fit in the shoes, and getting them in is quite hard. Will this damage the shoes or make them crease weirdly? Or are shoe trees supposed to be a tight fit?
UK 11 corresponds to a Euro 46, so that should work. They're supposed to be snug. However, if they really are as tight as they say, they may stretch the shoe, although that's unlikely.

REguy

Reaction score
I'll stir the Meermin vs. Allen Edmonds pot a little :stirpot:

Polo has a great winter sale going, and I grabbed a pair of AE suede LWBs to use as beaters for $140. People complain about little imperfections, but Meermin produces shoes that absolutely blow AE out of the water in terms of quality, finishing, and styling. I know there are a lot of AE fans, but even with the upgraded features AE does for Polo (double soles, full insole, dovetail heel) these shoes are barely worth the $140. The fact that some poor saps actually paid the full retail of $525 is cringe inducing.

Others have had issues, but Meermin has always responded to my emails within a day and the shoes have always met my expectations. IMHO, Meermin represents the best shoe value out there. Anyone on the fence should take the Meermin plunge before buying AEs (or the infamous AE seconds). Just remember, a little patience is required.

techaview

Reaction score
Well said.... Patience is what is needed to get value for money meermin shoes. I have ordered four pairs from them and since early dec and has only gotten 2 in before Xmas and 2 more are otw via ups before cny.

Although it a long wait but end day I know I am getting a quality shoe with the amount paid....

Now awaiting a MTO to be confirmed for my next pair.

Silhouette

Reaction score
I know there are a lot of AE fans, but even with the upgraded features AE does for Polo (double soles, full insole, dovetail heel) these shoes are barely worth the $140. The fact that some poor saps actually paid the full retail of $525 is cringe inducing.

In Sweden AE retails for ±$600
eek.gif
and cobblers and customers hold these shoes in high esteem.
puzzled.gif

Last edited:

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have been debating purchasing these blue double monk straps (102341 - Navy Naturcalf handwelted double monk). Now I have to go through this thread and read all the opinions
800_big.jpg

p.henrik

Reaction score
The balmoral boot shell MTO is on! Pepe just confirmed there's enough dark brown shell.

He is also amenable to taking orders on both Olfe and Hiro, so good news for those of you who want Hiro.

I'm waiting for him to confirm if we can have multiple sole options, if not they will come with double leather, which I personally think is a good compromise for a dress boot.

I believe we are at least 8 members going for this now.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads