• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

REguy

Reaction score
I'm a 9.5 UK Hiro and Olfe. 9.5 UK Camina Inca. 9 UK Carmina Forest and Rain.

leetpuma

Reaction score
I sent the below info to meermin (Luisa) and got back that I should try for an size 8UK in hiro. I was expecting them to suggest a size 7.5

Looking at probably 60+ posts on this forum for the AE 5 last I have seen pretty consistently that I should size one down from AE5. (for example AE5 8.5D -> Meermin Hiro 7.5)

And probably about 10 posts on this forum for Aldens Aberdeen/Plaza last and have also seen pretty consistently that I should size one down as well. (for example Alden 8.5D -> Meermin Hiro 7.5)

My sizing:
Allen Edmonds 1 Last 8.5 D fits fine (not as snug as the 5 Last)
Allen Edmonds 5 Last 8.5 D is snug
Alden Plaza Last 8.5 fits but not snug (however 8 was too short, my toes were touching the tip of the shoe)
Alden Aberdeen last 8.5 fits but not snug (however 8 was too short, my toes were touching the tip of the shoe)

My feet are basically symmetrical and physically are:
LENTH: 270 mm
WIDTH: 105 mm
I drew my foot and it can be seen here: http://tinyurl.com/menaq58

Do you guys think I should go with Meermin's suggestion of an 8UK or go with the 7.5UK which I expected?

(I am likey going to just have to buy one and try it an sell it back if it does not work out but I would like to try and guess right initially.)

Lexyyy

Reaction score

I sent the below info to meermin (Luisa) and got back that I should try for an size 8UK in hiro.  I was expecting them to suggest a size 7.5

Looking at probably 60+ posts on this forum for the AE 5 last I have seen pretty consistently that I should size one down from AE5.  (for example AE5 8.5D -> Meermin Hiro 7.5)

And probably about 10  posts on this forum for Aldens Aberdeen/Plaza last and have also seen pretty consistently that I should size one down as well. (for example Alden 8.5D -> Meermin Hiro 7.5)

My sizing:
Allen Edmonds 1 Last 8.5 D fits fine (not as snug as the 5 Last)
Allen Edmonds 5 Last 8.5 D is snug
Alden Plaza Last          8.5 fits but not snug (however 8 was too short, my toes were touching the tip of the shoe)
Alden Aberdeen last    8.5 fits but not snug (however 8 was too short, my toes were touching the tip of the shoe)

My feet are basically symmetrical and physically are:
LENTH: 270 mm
WIDTH: 105 mm
I drew my foot and it can be seen here: http://tinyurl.com/menaq58

Do you guys think I should go with Meermin's suggestion of an 8UK or go with the 7.5UK which I expected?

(I am likey going to just have to buy one and try it an sell it back if it does not work out but I would like to try and guess right initially.)

I sized down(or up) half from AE 5 last US8E to meermin hiro UK7.5

My AE pair was extremely snug at the toebox initially and caused discomfort after prolonged wear. However it stretched out fine after about 2 weeks worth of wear.

Meermin fits well right out of the box despite the pointier toes. I do not notice any change in fit after 3 months of wear.

leetpuma

Reaction score
I sized down(or up) half from AE 5 last US8E to meermin hiro UK7.5

My AE pair was extremely snug at the toebox initially and caused discomfort after prolonged wear. However it stretched out fine after about 2 weeks worth of wear.

Meermin fits well right out of the box despite the pointier toes. I do not notice any change in fit after 3 months of wear.
My AE 8.5D is just nice and snug not too tight not too lose. (Almost every other AE/Alden shoe is somewhat loose at 8.5 D so I am probably an C width. AE 5 Last is an thinner last)

With E width folks I expected a .5 size down suggestion. But with true D's I was expecting and full size down.

Still I am not sure. I want to make sure I am not missing anything before I buy a 7.5UK as an test shoe (If it does not fit ill sell it right back and eat the difference. But then Ill know I was an 8UK)

cbfn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sizing is sadly not science; it is impossible to know wether the Hiro last will fit you or not. For example, I have a pair of AE 5 last in 8D which are a bit big and need an insole, and a pair of Meermin cap toes in 7 which are a bit too snug for my liking; this goes against the sizing down a whole size tactic.

Rev0

Reaction score
Plum museums have arrived! No flaws that I can see, and the colour is beautiful.

Both the 'museum' effect and the 'plum' shade are more subtle than I was expecting, which is perfect IMO. Unique in the right lighting, but not outrageous.

Thanks to terrorsquad for organising!

Gardet

Reaction score
Regarding the sizing with Hiro Last, I had to go up 0.5 in size from my previous Church Sawley and Sheldon (G-fit). I believe that if your current shoes are in F-fit, you can order in same size, but if you have wider, then you may need to go up 0.5 in size.

REguy

Reaction score
Last edited:

adampaul

Reaction score
If anyone's curious, Luisa sent me the following shoe, last and foot dimensions for Hiro size UK9.5 (I didn't see dimensions for this size anywhere in this thread yet):

HIRO 9,5UK

L 311mm shoe outsole 9,5UK.
W 111mm shoe outsole 9,5UK.
L 294mm last insole 9,5UK.
W 104mm last insole 9,5UK.
Foot 27,6 cm 9,5UK

Claus

Reaction score

Do you guys think I should go with Meermin's suggestion of an 8UK or go with the 7.5UK which I expected?

I think you're overthinking this.

You've already preselected the last. This is the number one shoe sizing mistake. You can't expect a preselected last to fit properly. One might be lucky, of course, but you can't count on it.

You've made the same mistake with your Alden's and AE's. They are completely off in lenght if you measured your foot length correctly (see my site for instructions). With a foot length of 270mm, your reference sizes are UK 8.5 and US 9.5.

For instance, shoes in US 8.0 are down 1.5 units from your reference size, which means the minimum toe allowence of 1.5 units is gone. It's not a surprise that your toes were touching the tip of the shoe. But US 8.5 is hardly any better.

Expressed differently, you're not a D width in a common last. Try C or B the next time you're visiting a store. By the way, you can measure your foot length more correctly with AE's shoe sizing guide. Just substract half a unit from the results (because traditional devices such as Brannock or AE's sizing guide use 2 full units for toe allowence for some reason).

For Meermin's Hiro, that means you will die at least one death:
  • UK 7.5 is off in length (1 unit), but its probably about right in volume (maybe slightly tight).
  • UK 8.0 is better in length (0.5 units off), but it might be a little loose in volume.

It comes down to your personal preference which kind of mismatch is less important to you.

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Claus - I've read a bunch of threads on shoe sizing and this is the first time I've seen your input. Great stuff, and your site concept looks legitimately helpful (why didn't someone - or even the manufacturers - come up with this sooner?).

Maybe I'm late to the party and have just been missing you, but if you're not posting more, you should be.

I think you're overthinking this.

You've already preselected the last. This is the number one shoe sizing mistake. You can't expect a preselected last to fit properly. One might be lucky, of course, but you can't count on it.

You've made the same mistake with your Alden's and AE's. They are completely off in lenght if you measured your foot length correctly (see my site for instructions). With a foot length of 270mm, your reference sizes are UK 8.5 and US 9.5.

For instance, shoes in US 8.0 are down 1.5 units from your reference size, which means the minimum toe allowence of 1.5 units is gone. It's not a surprise that your toes were touching the tip of the shoe. But US 8.5 is hardly any better.

Expressed differently, you're not a D width in a common last. Try C or B the next time you're visiting a store. By the way, you can measure your foot length more correctly with AE's shoe sizing guide. Just substract half a unit from the results (because traditional devices such as Brannock or AE's sizing guide use 2 full units for toe allowence for some reason).

For Meermin's Hiro, that means you will die at least one death:
  • UK 7.5 is off in length (1 unit), but its probably about right in volume (maybe slightly tight).
  • UK 8.0 is better in length (0.5 units off), but it might be a little loose in volume.

It comes down to your personal preference which kind of mismatch is less important to you.

Claus

Reaction score

Claus - I've read a bunch of threads on shoe sizing and this is the first time I've seen your input. Great stuff, and your site concept looks legitimately helpful (why didn't someone - or even the manufacturers - come up with this sooner?).

Maybe I'm late to the party and have just been missing you, but if you're not posting more, you should be.

Thank you. :)

Admittedly, my side has a usability problem. One has to know a bit about sizing to understand the rationale for a recommendation. I already have a new prototype running which will be hopefully more transparent, and easier to understand.

And there are brands which invest in this sort of thing. It's just not the kind of brands we discuss here.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads