• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Silhouette

Reaction score
You can't buy UK10,5-UK11 shoes with those measurements, you will have like 5 cm in front of your toes and the flex point will be all wrong. Sucks to have "weird" feet, but if you end up buying ill fitting shoes even if they are cheap they will end up very costly. I mean you are probably more of a UK7,5 very wide fit or something like that. The best option might be to go MTO with a company that offers extra wide fit. Not sure if Meermin does, they do offer wide fit, but for example Vass offers their shoes in H-width (standard is F), and their MTO costs €520 which is very good considering they are completely hand made with oak bark tanned soles and great materials.

Couldn't agree more - buy a last that fits. I see a lot of pics on this forum of guys who have a shoe that's at least a size too big on a narrow last: even if it's not uncomfortable, which it often will be, it ends up with the toe of the shoe looking like a separate being, pointing off askance with a life of its own. Check the G&G thread for obvious examples! Or pretty much anything French.

I'd be interested to know what shoe you have now that fit well.

For reference Man of Paisly, my feet also measure some 260-265 mm and I have so called 'low footvolume'. (In contrast to you?). Albeit I have 100-105 mm wide feet. I am looking at sizes that range from 6 UK F (Loake capital) to 7 UK (dependent on fit). I can't stand roomy toeboxes or huge flexing near the ball of feet area. Like J Ingevaldsson I suggest you size down and go MTO for a wider width. Alternatively you could check out brands like Cheaney on Ebay. Alot of sellers regularly add shoes of F or G-width there.

Last edited:

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for your responses j and Mimo, I think your right, with a lasts that comes to such a point as most wholecuts do, meermin isn't really an option

With the note that J made, is ordering with vass easy?, do they consult you about what you'd like?, Do you have any experience with them and if you do how does the process work?

Regards, Man of Paisley

Vass are easy to order from yes, you do it by mail. Here you have a complete buying guide on my blog (use the translation tool on the upper right of the page): http://www.shoegazing.se/2012/10/05/kopguide-vass-shoes/

I recently transfered the blog to Wordpress, so unfortunately some pictures are missing. Will fix that soon.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
@Manofpaisley: regarding Vass, check out the website and email Mr Rezso [email protected], who can communicate in English very well.

Also, if you want to go more mainstream, a few English makers do extra wide fittings. Take a look here - good service, fast delivery and easy returns. They'll give you advice on fit too, and as you can see, a range of prices. I'd also recommend taking a look at Allen Edmonds. I find their lasts just a tiny bit shallow if you also have a high instep, but their printable sizing guide was super-accurate for me. They do a massive range of sizes in everything - benefit of ordering direct from a big company - and once you know your size, you can get real bargains from their outlet (just email your size to [email protected].)

Good luck.

Last edited:

rc121

Reaction score

but for example Vass offers their shoes in H-width (standard is F), and their MTO costs €520 which is very good considering they are completely hand made with oak bark tanned soles and great materials.

but as long as he requests an existing model of shoe from their catalog/website, he only would have to pay the ready to wear price of €420 no matter what the width.

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
but as long as he requests an existing model of shoe from their catalog/website, he only would have to pay the ready to wear price of €420 no matter what the width.

Are you sure? I think Rezso some time mentioned that RTW only meant standard width, but I can't remember for sure.

xizenta

Reaction score

It's also reliant on what they have in stock.  Everything you order online shows as available, even if it isn't.  So it's just luck whether you get it in a few days, or have to wait for it to be made (in China of course, then sent to Spain for finishing).  I tried emailing to check if something was actually in stock as I needed it fast.  A month later I didn't get a reply, so I assumed not!

Can someone explain what this means?
Are these really made in China?

Also, where are people ordering these shoes from? Anyone getting them at retailers or pretty much just direct? Price is pretty much the same no matter what right?

Interested.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
"Made in" is a less precise expression than it might be. "Finished in" would be a more accurate description in most industries. As I understand it, Meermin's shoes are clicked, closed, lasted and welted in China. Then the shoes come back to Mallorca where they're finished. Clicking and closing in another country is very common with English makers too, then the uppers are sent back to be "made in England". I think Meermin does the welting (their proudly-advertised hand welting) in China too, but I'm not entirely sure where the process begins and ends. It partly explains their unpredictable delivery time frames though.

Meermin sell direct, and through their own shops in Mallorca and Madrid, and I think they have a retailer in Japan.

Last edited:

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Corrected below.

Last edited:

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The machine welted shoes are done in China (marked GY1 on the website). The hand welted (marked GY2) is done in Spain. At least, this is the case as far as I know.

No, like Mimo says all Meermins shoes, including Linea Maestro and the MTO:s are manufactured in China, and then finished in Spain. It would be impossible to have hand welted shoes sold for €260 if they were entirely made in Europe.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Yes, it's confusing because they use the term "goodyear welted" to mean "welted" - even when they're talking about hand welting.

Last edited:

jaywhyy

Reaction score
Was randomly browsing this thread and...

Is that a pegged waist?

Might have to try Meermin after all...

ayush12345

Reaction score
Hi I tried asking this earlier as well but I think my post was some what lost.
I am unable to decide which last and size would be more appropriate.
Among the shoes I have, I only got 2 which follow the width sizing.
A carmina shoe, Size 7.5 in the INCA last. They look wide enough but for some reason they sometimes feel a bit tighter at the box.
The second, A John Lobb shoe, Size 8 E. I am not sure about the last but the style is called TURVEY.

I feel I should go with an 8 Olfe. Am i going in the right direction ?
Please help me out here.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads