• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Win545

Reaction score

Hi, I was hoping to get some advice on sizing for hiro last. I tried on a friends double monks, which are 9.5 UK, and they fit very well. However, that sizing is a bit off from my typical size, and I wonder if the fact that his shoes are pretty well worn means that a new pair at 9.5 wouldn't work. 

My sizing for what I currently have is as follows, these are all US sizes. Alden Full Strap Loafers, 10E. Allen Edmonds Strand 10E, Allen Edmonds Fifth Avenue 10E, Allen Edmonds Graysons 9.5EEE. 

Any thoughts?

if you wear 10E in alden fullstrap, i dont think that UK9.5 for you is too strange. The size translation in your case is pretty typical for US to UK size. 1 size down.

droppp

Reaction score
I have 2 pairs Hiro and 1 pair Park, all in UK 8. I ordered AE Strands in US 8.5E. General consensus is to size down half a size from AE to Hiro. So if you are 10E for AE, UK 9.5 hiro will fit you :slayer:

The_International

Reaction score
I wear an 11E on the Allen Edmonds 5 last, and I wear an 11UK in the Hiro last. Normally one might go down one full size, but I need the additional width at the ball of the foot. Hope this helps.

oliee

Reaction score
Just received a pair of suede loafers in the Ron last. I love the look of it, however even sizing 0.5 down, I'm getting a fair bit of heel slip.

Used a pair of insoles to tighten it up, and heel grips, which helped a bit.. But it's still a little slippery.

Any recommendations? Seems to fits well apart from that.

Last edited:

Shawl Lapel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just received a pair of suede loafers in the Ron last. I love the look of it, however even sizing 0.5 down, I'm getting a fair bit of heel slip.

Used a pair of insoles to tighten it up, and heel grips, which helped a bit.. But it's still a little slippery.

I had to size down 1.5 from US for Ron loafers. I'm a 10.5 US and had to go 9UK. Maybe a tongue pad would help?

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sell them.
satisfied.gif

oliee

Reaction score
I had to size down 1.5 from US for Ron loafers. I'm a 10.5 US and had to go 9UK. Maybe a tongue pad would help?

I sized down 0.5 from my other Meermin (in Olfe which fits perfectly), as suggested by them. I did ask if I should go a full size down as I won't be wearing socks with these, but they still suggested 0.5 is enough.

Will also try tongue pads.

Sell them.
satisfied.gif
Will give the options a try and walk around for a few days, see if it settles in. Otherwise that may be a possibility.

brianoh

Reaction score
I'm a 41 in CP Achilles and a 42 in MM GATs. Anyone know what I would be in their double monk strap?

mosy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While we're on the Ron last topic, I could use some help as well. I am currently awaiting two MTO boots on the Hiro last, which I ordered in size 8UK, as per the advice of Meermin customer service (based on the fact I am a 9D US in Allen Edmonds Park Ave [65 last]).
Now I'd like to order a Meermin loafer on the Ron last. It seems some people here size down 1.5 from their US size for the Ron. However, I am concerned that would be too small for me, as I am on the wider side of the D spectrum, and I have a slightly high instep.

Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

Shawl Lapel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

While we're on the Ron last topic, I could use some help as well.  I am currently awaiting two MTO boots on the Hiro last, which I ordered in size 8UK, as per the advice of Meermin customer service (based on the fact I am a 9D US in Allen Edmonds Park Ave [65 last]).
Now I'd like to order a Meermin loafer on the Ron last.  It seems some people here size down 1.5 from their US size for the Ron.  However, I am concerned that would be too small for me, as I am on the wider side of the D spectrum, and I have a slightly high instep.

Any guidance would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance!!

Suede or leather loafer? 10.5D in AE and 9.5 Ron had too much heel slip that would have only gotten worse as the shoes broke in.

mosy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Suede or leather loafer? 10.5D in AE and 9.5 Ron had too much heel slip that would have only gotten worse as the shoes broke in.

Thanks! Are your feet "classic" d width? And what about your instep?

With my slightly wide d width, and with my slightly high instep, I wonder if I won't have the heel slippage you have when only sizing down 1 full size. Also, even if I would have the slippage, my concern in going down 1.5 sizes is that they would be way too tight. Thoughts?

Shawl Lapel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks! Are your feet "classic" d width? And what about your instep?

With my slightly wide d width, and with my slightly high instep, I wonder if I won't have the heel slippage you have when only sizing down 1 full size. Also, even if I would have the slippage, my concern in going down 1.5 sizes is that they would be way too tight. Thoughts?

I'd say I'm a classic D, with a moderately high instep. Can't wear Carmina Simpson, but can wear Rain and Alcudia. My 9UK suede loafers were pretty tight in the beginning, but I treed them which helped to open the width a little bit. Honestly a 9.25 would be perfect, but that's not an option. If you have a wide heel then 9.5 might be able to hug your foot and stay on, but although they pinch a hair still on my pinky (not unwearable), 9 is good lengthwise whereas 9.5 would just be too long. I would have needed a heel pad and probably a tongue pad to keep my foot from coming out.

Last edited:

Usonian

Reaction score
So I got those Antique Oak Chukkas with the kinda commando sole that was a GMTO like 2 or 3 months back. They came in the mail a few weeks ago, and I've been slowly breaking them in, because these bastards are stiff.

That being said, my left pair is really digging into my outer ankle, which hasn't happened in my other pair of chukkas from Meermin, or my GMTO double monk chukkas from meermin (which I found on Ebay).

Does this happen to anyone else? Is there a way to break this in easily? It doesn't seem like there's anything constructed wrong in the shoe...

Also, I realize this is terribly vague, but if anyone else has had something like this happen, lemme know please.

Last edited:

Shawl Lapel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My double monks bit the backs of my heel and bottom of my ankle bone pretty hard (and they were suede!) but they eventually broke in. You can condition them to try to speed up the process.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads