• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nelton

Reaction score
Hi gents,

I am looking for some help in regards to the Hiro and Elton last, I am looking to buy the Double Monks in Black Calf (undecided - any recommendations would be greatly received) and am unsure whether to get the UK7 or UK7.5, I have a pair of Grenson Brogues in a 7.5/F and some Paul Smith Brogues in a 7 and both fit fine. What size should I go for in the Meermin's? I'm aware this has been discussed but I'm really confused! My feet measure 255m in length and 240mm in width if that helps.

Cheers

Last edited:

mljs54

Reaction score
Folks, have a question on sizing:

I'm a 12.5 EE on the AE 5 last (not the best fit, but manageable). Should I grab a UK 11 on the Hiro last or size up further? I'm basing this on the Hiro being a standard last per Meermin website and other reviews I have seen online. I'm normally a 12D - E (had to size up 1/2 for all my AE 5 lasted shoes b/c of how narrow that last is). I'm looking at the Meermin suede double monks (which I figure will give in width over time). Any advice is appreciated.

ta88

Reaction score
What's the quality of Meermin's Classic line compared with Loake's 1880 line?
Like heaven and hell, with Meermin Classic line being the latter.

Managed to break into my Loake Buckingham after just 4 wears, the leather has molded to the shape of my feet provided this glove like feel. I wear it as my weekend shoe whenever possible and still feels like great after a whole day of walking. The burnished calf leather is soft and takes a shine really well. Leather soles are sturdy and have solid grip on all types of flooring. Overall I must say that I love these shoes and they are an absolute great value for money.

I have so many negative things to say about my Meermin Classic Line that it is not funny.
- Leather is stiff as a rock on Mars, took me 20-30 minutes just to squeeze my foot into them during the first wear even thought they are in the right size. This did not occur with my Loake Buckingham.

- After 20 wears the leather stiffness has reduced but it is still extremely hard and unpleasant to wear. No glove like feel here just regret and hatred towards Meermin.

- Heel counter is extremely hard and causes a round blister on my right heel every time i wore them for 8 hours or more in an office environment with minimal walking ! It is ridiculously painful till the point that I have retired them in my garage to gather dust. (A very generous offer indeed when i should be setting them on fire for "biting" my heel)

- My favourite part: the bloody leather soles have no grip on marble flooring which has caused me to slip several times even after 20 wears ! I had to walk as slow as an old man who is holding his ****. (literally)

- Worst part of all is that these defects have only appeared after the shoes were used on scratched surfaces making them un-refundable.

Will pick Loake 1880 anytime of the day and pass the bad word of mouth for Meermin any chance i get.

Cheers,

ta88

Last edited:

AlexHffK

Reaction score
I'm sure he appreciate your comment with two years delay...

My Meermin shell tassel loafers has broken in just fine, only a couple more wears than my Loake 1880.
(I did add a tongue pad for a better fit, which helped with breaking in)

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if the shearling lined helped with my boots but I have experienced zero discomfort. In fact I find them more comfortable than my AE shoes which I do not find comfortable at all.

Last edited:

oxfordcomma

Reaction score
Olfe vs. Hiro

I have a Hiro in 6UK, and I have submitted to purchase an Olfe in 6UK, but I want to confirm the size.

I feel like the Hiro 6UK is small for me. My foot feels a bit squeezed in it. This is the only pair of nice shoes I have, and I don't know much about dress shoes or how they should fit. The Hiro 6UK I would describe as tight, could not possibly go smaller, and if I had the choice, would try the 6.5UK.

I thought the Olfe was narrower, so I would go for a 6.5UK. Meermin sent me the following dimensions, which actually shows the Olfe is bigger than the Hiro. Now I am wondering if I should just stick with a 6UK for the Olfe, since it is a bit bigger than the Hiro.

Thoughts?

OLFE
L 292 mm shoe outsole 6.5UK

W 103 mm shoe outsole 6.5UK

L 272 mm last insole 6.5UK

W 98 mm last insole 6.5UK

Foot 25.3 cm 6.5UK

HIRO
L 286mm shoe outsole 6.5UK

W 102 mm shoe outsole 6.5 UK

L268 mm last insole 6.5UK

W 096 mm last insole 6.5UK

Foot 25cm 6.5UK

Last edited:

oxfordsandties

Reaction score
Folks, have a question on sizing:

I'm a 12.5 EE on the AE 5 last (not the best fit, but manageable). Should I grab a UK 11 on the Hiro last or size up further? I'm basing this on the Hiro being a standard last per Meermin website and other reviews I have seen online. I'm normally a 12D - E (had to size up 1/2 for all my AE 5 lasted shoes b/c of how narrow that last is). I'm looking at the Meermin suede double monks (which I figure will give in width over time). Any advice is appreciated.

The hiro is a very narrow last my friend. You may not be able to find a good size. I think the best fit would probably be 11.5uk but then again the hiro fits around a C with on the 5 last.

Subutai

Reaction score
Hi Gents,
There is a beautiful Norwegian split toe in being funded in the GMTO section of Meermin's site. Color/leather is Chestnut Country Calf - looks stunning with great finishing. I was considering Alden's NST in walnut calf (got them cigar), but this version by Meermin looks beautiful compared to Alden's flat looking calfskin; plus Alden's are almost $600 compared to $175.

I'd ask anyone who is interested to join the GMTO as it's almost out of time, ends today. Let's get this funded!!
https://www.meermin.es/grupoMTO.php?idGrupo=284

Last edited:

Shawl Lapel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Olfe vs. Hiro

I have a Hiro in 6UK, and I have submitted to purchase an Olfe in 6UK, but I want to confirm the size.

I feel like the Hiro 6UK is small for me.  My foot feels a bit squeezed in it.  This is the only pair of nice shoes I have, and I don't know much about dress shoes or how they should fit.  The Hiro 6UK I would describe as tight, could not possibly go smaller, and if I had the choice, would try the 6.5UK.

I thought the Olfe was narrower, so I would go for a 6.5UK.  Meermin sent me the following dimensions, which actually shows the Olfe is bigger than the Hiro.  Now I am wondering if I should just stick with a 6UK for the Olfe, since it is a bit bigger than the Hiro.

Thoughts?
[COLOR=444444]OLFE[/COLOR][COLOR=444444]
[/COLOR][COLOR=444444]L 292 mm shoe outsole 6.5UK[/COLOR][COLOR=444444]
[/COLOR][COLOR=444444]
[/COLOR][COLOR=444444]W 103 mm shoe outsole 6.5UK[/COLOR][COLOR=444444]
[/COLOR][COLOR=444444]
[/COLOR][COLOR=444444]L 272 mm last insole 6.5UK[/COLOR][COLOR=444444]
[/COLOR][COLOR=444444]
[/COLOR][COLOR=444444]W 98 mm last insole 6.5UK[/COLOR][COLOR=444444]
[/COLOR][COLOR=444444]
[/COLOR][COLOR=444444]Foot 25.3 cm 6.5UK[/COLOR][COLOR=444444]
[/COLOR][COLOR=444444]
[/COLOR]

[COLOR=444444]HIRO[/COLOR][COLOR=444444]
[/COLOR][COLOR=444444]L 286mm shoe outsole 6.5UK[/COLOR][COLOR=444444]
[/COLOR][COLOR=444444]
[/COLOR][COLOR=444444]W 102 mm shoe outsole 6.5 UK[/COLOR][COLOR=444444]
[/COLOR][COLOR=444444]
[/COLOR][COLOR=444444]L268 mm last insole 6.5UK[/COLOR][COLOR=444444]
[/COLOR][COLOR=444444]
[/COLOR][COLOR=444444]W 096 mm last insole 6.5UK[/COLOR][COLOR=444444]
[/COLOR][COLOR=444444]
[/COLOR][COLOR=444444]Foot 25cm 6.5UK[/COLOR][COLOR=444444]
[/COLOR]

I have Hiro suede double monks and Olfe suede adelaides. The Olfe shoes definitely have a little more room, both in length and width. If Hiro is a hair snug for you, Olfe in the same size will probably work out.

Last edited:

patliean1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have Hiro suede double monks and Olfe suede adelaides. The Olfe shoes definitely have a little more room, both in length and width. If Hiro is a hair snug for you, Olfe in the same size will probably work out.

You take the same size in both? I was under the impression Olfe was a narrow last similar to Carmina's Simpson

mljs54

Reaction score
The hiro is a very narrow last my friend. You may not be able to find a good size. I think the best fit would probably be 11.5uk but then again the hiro fits around a C with on the 5 last.

The Hiro is narrower than the 5 last?

Didn't think that was humanly possible.

Thank you for the heads up.

Shawl Lapel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You take the same size in both? I was under the impression Olfe was a narrow last similar to Carmina's Simpson

I think Olfe is a long last so although it tapers, it doesn't squish toes like Simpson. The instep is higher and there's more room at the ball. Might be different in calf though if it doesn't stretch as much.

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^+1.

I wear 8.5 in most shoes. I take 9 uk in Carmina same as Olfe (slightly egyptian wide toes). Hiro is not for me.

Reglawyer

Reaction score
Hi, I was hoping to get some advice on sizing for hiro last. I tried on a friends double monks, which are 9.5 UK, and they fit very well. However, that sizing is a bit off from my typical size, and I wonder if the fact that his shoes are pretty well worn means that a new pair at 9.5 wouldn't work.

My sizing for what I currently have is as follows, these are all US sizes. Alden Full Strap Loafers, 10E. Allen Edmonds Strand 10E, Allen Edmonds Fifth Avenue 10E, Allen Edmonds Graysons 9.5EEE.

Any thoughts?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Staff online

Forum statistics