• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Harry Rosen Economic Crisis Sale?

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Zegnamtl
40 percent off the already highest price in town does not make an Economic Crisis Sale. I will pop in on Boxing Day and see what is there.
It's true, Holts sales tend to be better. I don't Harry Rosen's regular prices are any higher for the same brands than any of their competitors. People want to take shots at them for selling lots of Hugo Boss, but these are the same people that would only buy a Canali suit from them if it's below cost.
confused.gif
I'd happily pay $100-$200 extra to buy a sale suit from their store when I can try it on and have it altered free instead of buying it over the net where I have to guess what it really looks like and how it feels and how it fits.

dclloyd

Reaction score
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow
It's true, Holts sales tend to be better. I don't Harry Rosen's regular prices are any higher for the same brands than any of their competitors. People want to take shots at them for selling lots of Hugo Boss, but these are the same people that would only buy a Canali suit from them if it's below cost.
confused.gif

I'd happily pay $100-$200 extra to buy a sale suit from their store when I can try it on and have it altered free instead of buying it over the net where I have to guess what it really looks like and how it feels and how it fits.

I'd agree that their regular prices are about the same as their competitors in Canada - however - seem to be quite high by comparison to what's found south of the border, even before the current economic meltdown. In terms of alterations - I thought with Rosen's that you have to pay for them when you're buying on sale?

contaygious

Reaction score
I did notice one time that the same Etro pants were 100 dollars more at harry and then they put them on sale in order to bring the price down to match holt. So I always check both places before buying now.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went to the Calgary store today; it was a madhouse. People everywhere, practically flinging items into the air. Stock was extremely low as a result; hardly any shirts and no sport coats in my size. I'm now regretting not getting a couple of shirts at the much more sober Edmonton location. Stuff was, as before, 30-50% off, but still no amazing deals. Couldn't get definitive info about boxing day from an SA. Stopped by Henry Singer as well. SA was a complete doofus dressed like a clown but managed to inform me that all their shirts and ties would go on sale in the second week of January (for the dirty shirt sale). He promised that some of their D&G would be 30%-ish percent off on boxing day, but it didn't sound like there were any doorcrashers to be had. Didn't get a chance to hit Holts - anyone know the story there? And is there anywhere else in Alberta people would recommend looking? O'Connors, maybe?

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
Went to the Calgary store today; it was a madhouse. People everywhere, practically flinging items into the air. Stock was extremely low as a result; hardly any shirts and no sport coats in my size.

Crap. I was planning to go there boxing day. Your size isn't 40R... is it?
frown.gif

And is there anywhere else in Alberta people would recommend looking? O'Connors, maybe?

Try Forman's. They carry Zegna and Baldessarini amongst other brands.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow
Crap. I was planning to go there boxing day. Your size isn't 40R... is it?
frown.gif

No, there were a fair number of 40Rs on the top floor. Some quite ugly patterns, some jackets made in Turkey.
plain.gif
Anything of quality was marked down from $1800 to $1000. Buh. I didn't have a chance to look at any suits. Sick as it sounds, I wish the economic crisis would hurry up and hit us here.
tounge.gif
You'd think with oil prices hovering at $40/barrel, we'd be rolling in clearance specials.
Try Forman's. They carry Zegna and Baldessarini amongst other brands.
12th Ave and 1st Street? What are the prices like?

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You'd think with oil prices hovering at $40/barrel, we'd be rolling in clearance specials.
That's actually what I was expecting.
12th Ave and 1st Street? What are the prices like?
Yup, that's the store. I go to the store everytime I come down to Calgary because they carry some nice stuff, but I can't comment on any current promotions. Last January I was there and they were have 40% off sales, probably similar now. I'm also tempted to check out a few stores listed on Samuelsohn's retailer locator in Calgary that I've never heard of outside downtown to see if I can snag some bargains.

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Picked up a couple of nice Harry cashmere mock necks and a JP Tilford suit in navy on Bloor St. yesterday. All 50% off. The Tilford was an especially good deal. Great suit, too.

fwiffo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did anyone go to a Harry's on Boxing Day? Are there any good deals? I'm always wary of "selected merchandise" being on sale - usually means Tilford, house brands, etc.

(I'm in Toronto if that helps)

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It was decent. Almost every item and brand was reduced by 30-50% and there was a doorcrasher sale on whereby any sportcoat, suit, or overcoat bought before noon was $100 off. But since that discount applied to the highest prices in town, your opinion may vary as to whether it was a good deal or not. At least there was a reasonable amount of inventory put out.

Matt B

Reaction score
I have visited both Holt's and Harry's (in Vancouver) before and after Christmas. The prices were essentially the same both times. No oustanding deals but lots in the 30 to 40% off range. Both stores were quiet. In fact, all of downtown was. I think it's a combination of the economy and the crazy weather. I have seen the malls busier on a regular summer Saturday.

M

bapelolol

Reaction score
for holt renfrew the last set of markdowns is the "last call sale/now or never"?.. after this there are no more markdowns & items that are not sold are removed correct?

ineffable

Reaction score
Prices will sometimes go down throughout the now or never sale (depending on the item/sales, I suppose), and all items are reduced at the end (an additional 20% off for the last two days -- so some items can get to be ~80% off)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Staff online

Forum statistics