• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Paying my 'school fees'

SuitsYouSir89

Reaction score
I have a Japanese seamstress I rely on exclusively for alterations.
She specializes in weddings but takes care of other issues outside that.
No beating around the bush, she will speak her mind openly and forcefully.
I have learned to listen. She is always right.
I inherited my Father's Harris Tweed sport coat and thought I should have some alterations done. After putting it on and modeling it for her she told me to leave it alone, and don't mess with something that already fits acceptably well that would waste money to do little.
The sport coat I was wearing when I went it she went over and kept for some minor changes. I wasn't expecting that.
The story is, get someone you can trust and is competent.
She will tug at my pants waist when I go in and say "you lost weight" or "do not fasten that belt so tight", Things like that. "Get different belt" was my favorite quote from her. It was seconds after I opened her door.
Get someone you can trust and is looking out for you.
For most of us, OTR works fine if you, or someone you trust, has a good eye for the fit.
She sounds amazing. It's finding someone like her who is honest. Too many over promise and under deliver sadly.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
She sounds amazing. It's finding someone like her who is honest. Too many over promise and under deliver sadly.

I had such a skilled tailor for nearly 20 years. Other SF members used him
too. He died 11/21. Found new asian female tailor/seasmtresses. So far, so
good. Haven't brought them anything really challenging yet. Take her a
nice gift for the holidays, or whenever.

SuitsYouSir89

Reaction score
A short update if I may.

So, in the end, the MTM experience for my wedding suit turned out alright. I guess it was a number of alterations and back and forth but the final suit now looks really good. Had I known what to look for from the first fitting the whole process would have been faster, ce la vie. I've learnt along the way and ultimately I would like to get another suit made with the same guys as it has been positive. And the next time will be more fruitful.

Fast forward to the local tailor - in the end, I think I overeacted to the changes. The shoulders were tighter but it was partly a matter of getting used to it from how the blazer used to feel, and she also made some final adjustments. Result; happy in the end. I think in both cases, it is a question of patience with the back and forths and adjustments.

On the flipside, I recently bought a cheapish off the rack work suit. I originally bought a 40 chest which was too big and has excess fabric under the neck, but then the 38's sleeves were too short / tight. It's the same old, same old, where there is always some kind of issue once take them home and have a proper look.

Maybe some people are fortunate and OTR's fit them perfectly but I just never feel they are right. To be fair, the trousers are fine, but neither blazer (38 /40) seems right. Maybe my 'better' option is to go for the 40 and get altered again. I don't know. Part of me thinks about returning the blazer and waistcoat and just saving up for an MTM again.

In some ways, you can't win. MTM / altering is expensive and doesn't always work out, but I tend to find OTR quite unfulfilling as well. There is certainly no magic bullet to all this. Perhaps in hindsight because I've been in a bit of rush recently with my wedding, friends wedding etc, I've not taken enough time to be really discerning, something I've probably lacked in all honesty.

curtismith

Reaction score
A short update if I may.

So, in the end, the MTM experience for my wedding suit turned out alright. I guess it was a number of alterations and back and forth but the final suit now looks really good. Had I known what to look for from the first fitting the whole process would have been faster, ce la vie. I've learnt along the way and ultimately I would like to get another suit made with the same guys as it has been positive. And the next time will be more fruitful.

Fast forward to the local tailor - in the end, I think I overeacted to the changes. The shoulders were tighter but it was partly a matter of getting used to it from how the blazer used to feel, and she also made some final adjustments. Result; happy in the end. I think in both cases, it is a question of patience with the back and forths and adjustments.

On the flipside, I recently bought a cheapish off the rack work suit. I originally bought a 40 chest which was too big and has excess fabric under the neck, but then the 38's sleeves were too short / tight. It's the same old, same old, where there is always some kind of issue once take them home and have a proper look.

Maybe some people are fortunate and OTR's fit them perfectly but I just never feel they are right. To be fair, the trousers are fine, but neither blazer (38 /40) seems right. Maybe my 'better' option is to go for the 40 and get altered again. I don't know. Part of me thinks about returning the blazer and waistcoat and just saving up for an MTM again.

In some ways, you can't win. MTM / altering is expensive and doesn't always work out, but I tend to find OTR quite unfulfilling as well. There is certainly no magic bullet to all this. Perhaps in hindsight because I've been in a bit of rush recently with my wedding, friends wedding etc, I've not taken enough time to be really discerning, something I've probably lacked in all honesty.
You mentioned that both MTM and alterations can be expensive and not always perfect, while OTR suits can leave you feeling unsatisfied. It's true that there's no magic solution that works for everyone. It's possible that in the rush of recent events like your wedding and friends' weddings, you may not have had enough time to be truly discerning in your choices, which is something you acknowledge, finding the right suit takes time, patience, and sometimes trial and error. I totally understand because I've been through this too. That's right 👍

matashidapillow

Reaction score
A short update if I may.

Besides this I as a clothing stylist and college student, I have to say that I ordered from here https://edusson.com/write-my-college-essay to write an essay for my college studies about style and these guys have once again made me realize that I actually have a pretty good thought on fashion, in fact many people don't understand what would be stylish and what wouldn't, moreover it irritates me that these people are starting to argue with me, and I am soon to finish college style. It makes me feel bad actually, because people really don't want to understand how it would be right and do it the way they like it.

I spent more than a month looking for the suit I liked and all I ended up with was custom made suits, because others were not as I needed, possibly I am a special customer, but I know of many cases similar to mine :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads