• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gq changing

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I read an article the other day that the new editor in chief plans to make it more modern and appealing to today's young man... and that ain't a good thing IMO. Elements of Style? Gone, replaced with articles 'dumbing down' how to dress. The new features sound completely Maximesque. I'm sure they want to be different now that the old editor (whose name escapes me) is gone, but I am preparing for the worst...

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gq has become a horrible fashion mag. Nowadays when I read it, I'll only expect a few pages of latest fashions. However, the overseas GQ mags are outstanding. They offer superior coverage on trends, styles, and overall mens products. If the new GQ will follow the lead of it's european counterparts, then why not?

JurassicJon

Reaction score
Have you seen the newest issue? To put it plainly, Johnny Knoxville is on the cover and the clothing inside the mag reminds of of trash Ashton Kutcher wears. Esquire, here I come...

freakseam

Reaction score
There is a niche to be filled, that is obvious. The question is whether or not it's a viable magazine launch idea.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I suppose after Art Cooper passed away the magazine took a turn for the worse.

Do any of you read Arena Homme Plus or Vogue L'Uomo? I rather like those two.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I just read an article in DNR on the same subject. The changes didn't sound bad but then again DNR and GQ are controlled by the same company. GQ is not a very good magazine as it is so it would be hard to make it worse. Maybe it will even be better - we'll have to wait and see.

hermes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
british gq does a great job every month, moreso than usa gq, which is obviously trying to compete with the laddie mags out there that make all the money

details does an oddly eventful job at fashion

l'uomo vogue i find hit and miss, similar to the french version

some of my favourites are the bi-annual mags like arena homme +, uk fhm fashion, loaded fashion and wallpaper's spruce, although i think spruce has been cut and isn't publishing any longer as they added more fashion into wallpaper itself

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm also a fan of British GQ, especially their more unique columns - such as 'The Indefensible Position', currently helmed by Trigger Happy TV's Dom Joly. In this column, Joly attempts to justify any number of horrible social faux pas, including such gems as 'Why I like to make obscene phone calls', and 'Why I like blacking up at dinner parties'... If you haven't seen his work, rent out 'Trigger Happy TV' on DVD or video immediately, it's hilarious. As for the US GQ, I must admit to being a fan of Glenn O'brien's 'Style Guy' column...

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've found the fashion coverage in the US GQ to be spotty at best - in contrast to the great coverage by Details (their choices are generally spot on), British GQ, British Esquire, and Arena. And the fashion features are usually much too conservative for my taste, not to mention generally poorly shot and lighted (I remember that they had one particularly Sears catalogue-like feature in the last couple of years where they had a bunch of models just standing around wearing wholly uninspired outfits.) I'm hoping the the new format will have better fashion coverage, and that the fashion converage will be a little more in tune with Milan, and a little less with the Nebraska.

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you want a real laugh, check out the gqforum. I think the agregate age there is five, and the IQ level not much above that.

AskAndyAboutClothes

Reaction score
Maybe I'm just getting old, no that can't be it, but if you look at some of the older issues of Esquire and GQ there are some classic styles and solid fashion advice. It's gone now.

Art Cooper was fired (a few days before and probably the cause of his death) to bring in a "new" look to GQ.

It's amazing that Men's Health Magazine has better men's fashion features than some of the fashion mags. (not just because I get a mention in there occasionally).

Thracozaag: I was shocked at the gqforum. Don't they monitor that. It's all obsenities.

Nick M: I've been trying to play pong on your icon, but I can't seem to win..

And can one subscribe to British GQ and some of the other magazines or do I have to drive to the Hollywood News
stands.

Andy

mistahlee

Reaction score
Along with the magazines mentioned by Mike C. and hermes, "Departures" has a cool feature from time-to-time. Â That is the magazine of the American Express platinum card. Â See a selection of past articles through the "Fashion" link at http://www.departures.com.

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I subscribe both to GQ and Esquire. I've always thought that GQ is in general a higher-quality publication when you consider its content as a whole, but it hasn't been much of a style publication for quite some time now. I like Glenn O'Brian's column, but the fashion spreads are usually not very good. I want to see the clothes, not some faux-artsy black-and-white crap. And the lack of emphasis on shoes is appalling. Of course, truth be told, Esquire isn't much better.

Still, I find GQ worthwhile for other reasons. If it turns into Maxim or FHM, of course, those reasons will be gone.

davei

Reaction score
Is GQ really that entrenched as a "style" mag, or did everyone here migrate from the GQ Forum at one time or another?
smile.gif
Agreed with the other posts, for fashions I prefer Arena H+, even if it's quarterly.

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With all this scorn heaped upon US GQ, you guys should consider yourself lucky you're not subjected to Australian GQ. Over here, it's the, ahem, 'sister' magazine to Vogue, which should tell you something. Imagine a magazine the thickness of US GQ, but with double-thick glossy pages, which means, of course, half the content. It's completely humorless, and, unlike it's US parent, there's no sly winks to individual style, like O'Brien's column. It's basically, you must buy this to be in fashion, throw out everything we told you to buy last time. Top it off with fashion shoots that are even duller than the American ones, and 'catwalk shoots' that are seemingly culled from last season' Firstview collections, and you're onto a real winner of a publication. Luckily, it really is quarterly over here, so I only have to ignore it four times a year.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads