• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Review of Archibald London Tan Anticato Cap-Toed Oxfords

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tell me if these pictures adequately assist you in ascertaining whether this is a hand welt or no.

IMG_20210311_1905166.jpg IMG_20210311_1905275.jpg IMG_20210311_1906054.jpg IMG_20210311_1906222.jpg

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Everyone else already told you but yes those are not hand welted. You can peel off the pad on the insole and see the loose insole beneath it if you need more confirmation for yourself.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, I'm certain. As people have stated previously, handwelted shoes will have dimples in the insole.

Afraid those are glued shoes with loose grain wrinkling.

I'll be talking to Archibald about this immediately then.

I am not happy.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Everyone else already told you but yes those are not hand welted. You can peel off the pad on the insole and see the loose insole beneath it if you need more confirmation for yourself.

I have never done this before. Will this destroy the shoe where I'd need to get them repaired at a cobbler?

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You should go read their thread or the one I posted on here where we figured this all out. They emailed their customers about it so I’d imagine you can join the line but I’m guessing there are some people who read your review wondering what shoes you were looking at.

Noblekostas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have never done this before. Will this destroy the shoe where I'd need to get them repaired at a cobbler?
If these are cemented there’s nothing worth repairing. Make sure to edit your initial review as people might stumble upon your post when googling

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
or just don't peel it, wear as it is for now, like what's their to gain (other than knowledge I suppose).

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure I’d worry about destroying a non-welted review pair of shoes that have loose grain after the first wear but that’s just me. But no - peeling up the pad on top of the insole shouldn’t ruin them if you do it gently.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If these are cemented there’s nothing worth repairing. Make sure to edit your initial review as people might stumble upon your post when googling

I am going to speak with Archibald about this personally and put a big caveat on the front page till this is resolved.

If this isn't resolved, I'm going to video tape myself throwing these in the dumpster.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads