• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cheaney

David Midecem

Reaction score
^ ^^
Thank you so much for replying! The Cheaney main website recommends going 1 full size down from US size. I am also "almost" 9 US like Meyboom (what a coincidence) so I think size 8F would probably work for me! I'll keep you guys posted!

https://www.cheaney.co.uk/size-fit-i9

Last edited:

Meyboom

Reaction score
^ ^^
Thank you so much for replying! The Cheaney main website recommends going 1 full size down from US size. I am also "almost" 9 US like Meyboom (what a coincidence) so I think size 8F would probably work for me! I'll keep you guys posted!

https://www.cheaney.co.uk/size-fit-i9

Glad to be of some help. Let us know how they work out. I have a pair of 3 year old Cheaney Liverpool on the 205 last and they are very comfortable. They are holding up really well with some nice patina. Will post some pics later on.

ShooIn

Reaction score
Agree with regard to the snow, a few tentative steps only! I took some lovely Loake Tan Wolf fur lined boots for the walk from hotel up the slope to the cabin where the ceremony took place. I was looking for an elegant but understated smart black shoe for the reception at the hotel, and thought these were right for the occasion. There are a few other pics on the HN White and Loake threads.

They are from the Imperial range, bought in the sale last summer. Compared to the 11028 last, they fit far more snuggly. Without insoles on my Fenchurch model, I get too much creasing across the vamp but these are a good tight and comfortable fit. The leather is beautiful and takes far less time to get to a mirror finish than other shoes I have (Loake/Cheaney/C&J). If I had one criticism it is that I think they didn't quite get the fiddle waist right, but it is still a very attractive shoe.

pediwear

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hi Mike,

On Brannock I am almost a 9D US. At the Cheaney shop in Jermyn street they advised me to try the shoes in 8.5F UK first. They did fit OK, but felt quite roomy, roomier than i am used to. So I went for the 8F UK and after 5 wears they were a perfect fit. But of course this all depends on the shape of the foot and whether one prefers a snug fit or not.
Hi Meyboom

This just underlines the difficulties in recommending sizes without trying on shoes - it will never be an exact science. Thanks for sharing your fitting experience though - and certainly worth noting that somebody on the edge of being a 9 US might find an 8.5 UK roomy in the 205 last.

Mike

Meyboom

Reaction score
Agree with regard to the snow, a few tentative steps only! I took some lovely Loake Tan Wolf fur lined boots for the walk from hotel up the slope to the cabin where the ceremony took place. I was looking for an elegant but understated smart black shoe for the reception at the hotel, and thought these were right for the occasion. There are a few other pics on the HN White and Loake threads.

They are from the Imperial range, bought in the sale last summer. Compared to the 11028 last, they fit far more snuggly. Without insoles on my Fenchurch model, I get too much creasing across the vamp but these are a good tight and comfortable fit. The leather is beautiful and takes far less time to get to a mirror finish than other shoes I have (Loake/Cheaney/C&J). If I had one criticism it is that I think they didn't quite get the fiddle waist right, but it is still a very attractive shoe.

Hi @ShooIn , I agree the 208 last has a great fit and the leather quality on the Imperial range is outstanding. Could you elaborate why you think Cheaney didn't quite get the fiddle waist right?

ShooIn

Reaction score
Quote:
I think the fiddleback is too deep, can catch on uneven surfaces more than I would expect, and therefore wears more quickly than I would want. It does however add to the overall elegance of the shoe. Interestingly I was chatting with some of the sales team in the Jermyn Street store just after New Year and they told me that they had noted the same problems and had modified subsequent models in the range.

2Deuce2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Cheaneys look excellent and there are many positive comments on the brand. Do you find the UK to USA sizing suggestions good? I'm a 12D in Allen Edmonds usually in 65 and 511 lasts. Looking fwd to hearing about the find.
Best,
Chris

Dembowski

Reaction score
I have a lot of pairs of shoes including brand like Loake, Barker, Yanko, Trickers, Alfred Sargent. Crockett Jones, or Saint Crispins. However Cheaney is my favorite brand. I do not want to say, that the best from my collections, but favorite. Very good quilty for a very good price.

Recently I was lucky to get pair of Avons and Britxworth for 1/3 pf the RRP

Brixworth - still to be delivered

Meyboom

Reaction score
I have a lot of pairs of shoes including brand like Loake, Barker, Yanko, Trickers, Alfred Sargent. Crockett Jones, or Saint Crispins. However Cheaney is my favorite brand. I do not want to say, that the best from my collections, but favorite. Very good quilty for a very good price.

Recently I was lucky to get pair of Avons and Britxworth for 1/3 pf the RRP

Brixworth - still to be delivered

Very nice @Dembowski . Let us know how the Brixworth turns out. I have not handled it in real life but it does look like a very stylish boot without being too dandyesque. I am curious about the fit of the 225 last as well since I don't have any experiece with this last. It looks like a slightly wider version of the 205 last.

Dembowski

Reaction score
Thank you Mayboom. When boots are delivered I will make some pics and comparison to other pairs.
Finally I have paid even less, because yesterday started spring sales in factory store. For pair of Brixworth and Alfred in Mocca I paid 240 GBP in total

Meyboom

Reaction score
Quote: @ShooIn This is an interesting observation. I compared my two pairs of Cheaney Imperials and it looks as if my oldest pair has a less pronounced fiddle back. But I suppose my oldest pair (about one year old) was produced later than my newest pair. I cannot tell about catching on uneven surfaces of my newest pair since i haven't worn them yet. I've never encountered this problem with my other pair. I'll keep you updated after my Buckinghams maiden trip. I've tried to capture the differences on the pics, but it is quite difficult to see.

ShooIn

Reaction score
@ShooIn This is an interesting observation. I compared my two pairs of Cheaney Imperials and it looks as if my oldest pair has a less pronounced fiddle back. But I suppose my oldest pair (about one year old) was produced later than my newest pair. I cannot tell about catching on uneven surfaces of my newest pair since i haven't worn them yet. I've never encountered this problem with my other pair. I'll keep you updated after my Buckinghams maiden trip. I've tried to capture the differences on the pics, but it is quite difficult to see.
The Buckingham's look great! I'd say the Balmorals are the best pair of shoes I own to date. The fiddle waist is a minor detail for me, and I'm quite happy with them. The minor snagging may have more to do with my gait then the shoes themselves, although I would be interested to hear of your comparison between the two.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads