• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMG_1817.jpg

Had these for 2 or 3 years - treated with SnoSeal a couple, three times - melted in w/hair dryer. I usually wear these in sloppy weather. IMO for the $ you can't beat 'em - can't see spending 2x as much for Red Wings.

Rikkar501

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sygyzy
I just got shipping confirmation for my size 9 Katahdin's. I went TTS. I hope it was not a mistake. I might go ahead and place an order for a 8.5 just to compare.

Edit: I'm so impatient I just ordered 1/2 size down, 8.5D.

I don't think you'll regret ordering tts; I did with mine and they fit perfectly.

wannabeagiant

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jhcam8
IMG_1817.jpg

Had these for 2 or 3 years - treated with SnoSeal a couple, three times - melted in w/hair dryer. I usually wear these in sloppy weather. IMO for the $ you can't beat 'em - can't see spending 2x as much for Red Wings.

I agree. They've been great for me in winter with a coat of sno seal at the start of the season. When the soles wear down, I might replace with a lug sole for better winter traction.

redarmy3

Reaction score
Is there something different about this leather and those on dress shoes? Everyone keeps talking about snoseal and obenaufs - why couldn't you just polish them with meltonian or something?

For those that want a darker color, wouldn't this darken the boot (if you used a deeper shade?)

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by redarmy3
Is there something different about this leather and those on dress shoes? Everyone keeps talking about snoseal and obenaufs - why couldn't you just polish them with meltonian or something?

For those that want a darker color, wouldn't this darken the boot (if you used a deeper shade?)

No - I use the Snoseal for waterproofing and it does darken the leather. But, hey - these are work boots.

lemmywinks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So SnoSeal helps keep snow out? What does **** like Obenaufs do?

wannabeagiant

Reaction score
It's not a smooth leather. It is fairly thick and more of a nubuck type (correct me if I'm wrong) so they won't take a shine with polish. The snoseal is wax based and gives them water resistance.

changy

Reaction score
hwo do yo get 20% off from bean website? did a search for coupons and i only came up with free shipping.

redarmy3

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wannabeagiant
It's not a smooth leather. It is fairly thick and more of a nubuck type (correct me if I'm wrong) so they won't take a shine with polish. The snoseal is wax based and gives them water resistance.

So anyone know what polishing them will do?

So are they more like Timberland boots?

fungz0r

Reaction score
You can't really polish them in the sense of polishing leather dress shoes since the leather is not smooth, the polish will probably just stay on and not shine.

And no they aren't like timberland boots, timberland boots are ugly

jobg

Reaction score
Originally Posted by changy
hwo do yo get 20% off from bean website? did a search for coupons and i only came up with free shipping.

I just placed an order and used the autumn10 coupon saved me 20% off my purchase

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wannabeagiant

They can definitely take a shine reasonably well (at least on the toe cap)....the sno seal is just to waterproof them.

The sno-seal directions even says you can go ahead and apply normal shoe polish after you have waterproofed them (I would do wax only...forgo the meltonian-style cream)

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Soo I am still undecided about the katahdins vs. the Chippewa GQ boots. Thoughts? It's pretty much the toecap and color, I think..Also not sure if GQ is goodyear welted, since it doesn't say on Zappos...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads