1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Calling all LLBean Katahdin Iron Works Boots owners

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jmillz15, Oct 13, 2009.

1. AntiHero84

AntiHero84 Well-Known Member

That's too bad, but a 6 in leg opening is not ridiculous... I wear a pair of iron heart cyclist jeans where the thigh is bigger and the taper is extreme, it doesn't even appear that skinny to be honest. I'm over 125 lb and these are sz 27 btw.

[​IMG]

Those look good with appropriate footwear. I think it would look quite different with a pair of work boots.

2. patrick_b

patrick_b Well-Known Member

FYI

I stopped by LL Bean in Freeport a couple of weeks ago to try these on. They don't carry this model in store anymore, only the other Katahdin boot. Obviously still available for order online, just no longer carried in store.

3. hboogz

hboogz Well-Known Member

That's too bad, but a 6 in leg opening is not ridiculous... I wear a pair of iron heart cyclist jeans where the thigh is bigger and the taper is extreme, it doesn't even appear that skinny to be honest. I'm over 125 lb and these are sz 27 btw. [​IMG]
    I personally don't think that "footwear" works well with a 6" inch opening at all. Take a profile pic -- the combination of the orthopedic shoes and strict taper looks awful. If you're going to do the 6" opening you might as well do work boots, it really can't possibly look as bad as what you got going on here man.

4. bjork

bjork Active Member

seems like velcro shoes aren't too popular on sf, oh well wish there were boots with slimmer silhouettes that aren't too expensive full profile: [​IMG]

5. Zaarin

Zaarin Member

FYI

I stopped by LL Bean in Freeport a couple of weeks ago to try these on. They don't carry this model in store anymore, only the other Katahdin boot. Obviously still available for order online, just no longer carried in store.

Same. I recently purchased mine. I tried on the other pair for sizing purposes and just ordered it online. They offered to do it in the store but it was no different.

6. zoso1699

zoso1699 New Member

i just received my boots in the size 10 D and they fit perfectly. not too snug or tight. thick wool socks are snug, but i haven't broken the boots in. Almost all of my shoes are a 10 1/2, except my converse/purcells and bean boots (size 9). so i couldn't be happier with the fit. if anyone else is a 10 1/2 TTS, the 10 should fit fine. can't wait to get the sno seal on them and tear up the chicago winter

also, i bought the tweed jacket from their signature line online yesterday. i just read about the discount code (november20) in this thread and called LLBean support. they were happy to apply the discount of 20%! thanks for mentioning the code, appreciate it. also, didn't know they're a 24 hr support service, phone or email.

7. shckr446

shckr446 Member

So I was going to order these boots but unfortunatly they currently do not have my size (9 1/2). I also called any there is no back order. What do you guys recomend I do? I was thinking either size down, order the waterproof version (does anyone have there? thoughts? or go with the chippewa gq boots?? thanks

8. BlueWord

BlueWord Well-Known Member

So I was going to order these boots but unfortunatly they currently do not have my size (9 1/2). I also called any there is no back order. What do you guys recomend I do? I was thinking either size down, order the waterproof version (does anyone have there? thoughts? or go with the chippewa gq boots?? thanks

The boots are 1/2 size large, despite conflicting reports in this thread. It's not so noticeable that TTS will be too big, but sizing down 1/2 will give you a more "correct" fit. Order a size 9, if that's in stock. If not, I'd hold out; the waterproof version is blah, and the gq boots look very boring. Also, you don't have that big chippewa logo on the Katahdins, or the LL Bean customer service on the GQ boots.

9. bobm

bobm Well-Known Member

Those look good with appropriate footwear. I think it would look quite different with a pair of work boots.

I agree. But if you do like the boots, and I like mine, why just get a different pair of pants?

Bob

10. G0079

G0079 Well-Known Member

seems like velcro shoes aren't too popular on sf, oh well
    wish there were boots with slimmer silhouettes that aren't too expensive

full profile:

http://www.pressuretestrec.com/uploa...4021resize.jpg

Just do it - those aren't jeggings, they'll fit if you lace them.

Size 9

11. sofaking30

sofaking30 Well-Known Member

http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...1&postcount=30
    I've never tried Obneauf and I bought the Sno Seal at a local leather repair and boot shop. Got it for $10 which is overpaying by about $5 compared to online, but the convenience was worth it.

I'll try to capture the lighting, but all I have is a cell phone so don't hold your breath!

I ordered it online. Damn I don't have a brush, is it necessary?

12. anonymouz

anonymouz Well-Known Member

The boots are 1/2 size large, despite conflicting reports in this thread. It's not so noticeable that TTS will be too big, but sizing down 1/2 will give you a more "correct" fit. Order a size 9, if that's in stock. If not, I'd hold out; the waterproof version is blah, and the gq boots look very boring. Also, you don't have that big chippewa logo on the Katahdins, or the LL Bean customer service on the GQ boots.

The "gq" boots aren't terrible. The logo isn't visible unless you're wearing shorts and someone is really close. By the way it's a bit cheaper to buy the "gq" boot from other sources. I think I got mine for under $115

13. Phil.H

Phil.H Member

Ordered a pair on Sunday. Delivered to my place by Wednesday. I live in Canada so this seemed damn quick to me. Normally wear an 11D in most shoes so I ordered TTS like most suggest. . How loose should these feel with thin socks? I think I could size down to 10.5 but don't want to risk it not fitting. I'll wear it around for a bit to see how they feel once they've broken in.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

(excuse the terrible pics, all I've got is a blackberry for a camera at the moment)

14. fungz0r

fungz0r Well-Known Member

The "gq" boots aren't terrible. The logo isn't visible unless you're wearing shorts and someone is really close. By the way it's a bit cheaper to buy the "gq" boot from other sources. I think I got mine for under $115

They loosen up a bit after you wear them around, about the same time as the ankles stop hurting. I think sizing down a half is best

15. Phil.H

Phil.H Member

They loosen up a bit after you wear them around, about the same time as the ankles stop hurting. I think sizing down a half is best

So they should fit snug at first and loosen up? It feels like I've got a good amount of clearance in them right now... guess I'm exchanging them for a half size down.

16. patrick_b

patrick_b Well-Known Member

Same. I recently purchased mine. I tried on the other pair for sizing purposes and just ordered it online. They offered to do it in the store but it was no different.

How did the fit compare?

17. TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES

TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES Well-Known Member

Ordered a pair on Sunday. Delivered to my place by Wednesday. I live in Canada so this seemed damn quick to me. Normally wear an 11D in most shoes so I ordered TTS like most suggest. . How loose should these feel with thin socks? I think I could size down to 10.5 but don't want to risk it not fitting. I'll wear it around for a bit to see how they feel once they've broken in.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

(excuse the terrible pics, all I've got is a blackberry for a camera at the moment)

Size down BRO.

18. bobm

bobm Well-Known Member

I mentioned this sizing issue in the Wolverine 1000 mile boot thread and thought I'd mention it here too. Rememeber, these are work boots and as such are not padded and cushy on the bottom as some other style boots can be. They do tend to be a tad on the large/wide side, but before you start sending boots back or placing and order, wear/try them with a thicker sock. I'm not saying a super heavy wool hunting sock, but a moderately thick wool/wool-blend sock. You may not need to size down. And, I can assure you, after a walk for any distance, your feet will be way more comfortable with the sock aborbing the pavement, than if you are wearing standard thin socks.
    Bob

19. Phil.H

Phil.H Member

Damnnn. Just remembered why ordering a 10.5 in the first place didn't even cross my mind. They were out of stock. I think I'll just keep these ones and wear thick socks with them.

20. lemmywinks

lemmywinks Well-Known Member

Damnnn. Just remembered why ordering a 10.5 in the first place didn't even cross my mind. They were out of stock. I think I'll just keep these ones and wear thick socks with them.

Yea I'm in the same situation as you. How is the 11 doing?