• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

brillopad

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
If I were to pick one boot out of your options, it would be the Cambridge. I have only owned the Coniston and it's a great boot, but I think the darker colour on the Cambridge would be more versatile. Not to state the obvious, but you should also consider which model fits you best.

I have been leaning toward the Cambridge, given that it's a great boot with lasted shoe trees included for under $400. With that said, I just don't think it looks quite as good as the Coniston (differences in last shape, eyelets, height, etc), but I agree that a darker color is a good idea (and the extra $100 for the Coniston isn't nothing either).

With that said, I just noticed that Purdey has the Coniston in dark brown. Stock is low but I emailed them to see if they're restocking any time soon. I'll report back what I hear.

http://www.purdey.com/clothing-accessories/mens-grain-leather-boot-with-dainite-sole-boot8.aspx

MoosicPa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
EG Galway's in burgundy shell and Utah calf... more pics on the EG forum.

rnguy001

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alright guys I'm soliciting some advice please. I'd like to get some dress boots in the near future - to wear with suits. I have some carmina black jumpers that are borderline dressy enough. I don't really like anything super chiseled or squared off but hoping for some great suggestions from you guys. I have a pair of Galways in DOAK, but need something darker and more conservative to wear with dark suits..

I like the GG Canterbury, the Carmina Balmoral boot on the Forest last etc.. I have tons of cap toes but can't seem to quit them. Also, @RogerP recent Thorpe pics have me rethinking my previous ambivalence to split toe shoes.

I tried a search via SF and google but nothing really jumped out. Just seeing what you guys think are some great alternatives for a dark dress boot. Heck I even considered the C&J Tetbury at one point..

thanks much in advance..

R

MonVert

Reaction score

Alright guys I'm soliciting some advice please. I'd like to get some dress boots in the near future - to wear with suits. I have some carmina black jumpers that are borderline dressy enough. I don't really like anything super chiseled or squared off but hoping for some great suggestions from you guys. I have a pair of Galways in DOAK, but need something darker and more conservative to wear with dark suits..

I like the GG Canterbury, the Carmina Balmoral boot on the Forest last etc.. I have tons of cap toes but can't seem to quit them. Also, @RogerP recent Thorpe pics have me rethinking my previous ambivalence to split toe shoes.

I tried a search via SF and google but nothing really jumped out. Just seeing what you guys think are some great alternatives for a dark dress boot. Heck I even considered the C&J Tetbury at one point..

thanks much in advance..

R

Dark as in... Black? o_O You can't get more conservative than that. Also, what makes a boot a "Dress Boot" to you? Low-profile sole?

Last edited:

bc78

Reaction score

thanks much in advance..

R

How about a MTO from Vass (or one of their vendors) or J. Fitzpatrick? Skoaktiebolaget could help you get one made too.

rnguy001

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Black, or dark brown? I'm not too knowledgeable on what makes a boot exactly a dress boot. I figured a lower profile sole and last as well. For example the Carmina Oscar last may be a bit too rounded? I think the EG 82 last would be a great shape, or the Vass F last..

Dark as in... Black? o_O You can't get more conservative than that. Also, what makes a boot a "Dress Boot" to you? Low-profile sole?

MonVert

Reaction score

Black, or dark brown? I'm not too knowledgeable on what makes a boot exactly a dress boot. I figured a lower profile sole and last as well. For example the Carmina Oscar last may be a bit too rounded? I think the EG 82 last would be a great shape, or the Vass F last..

Mmm, I'm not going to recommend specific lasts that might not fit... Nothing is worse than seeing a person in uncomfortable dress shoes/boots. However, I can recommend you some products to look over and, if you like, try to find a dealer near where you live to examine demo versions/order a pair.

Dehner Boots/Shoes can make Chukkas, Jodhpurs, and 10"+ boots. Black, or Dark Brown, is all the colour variation you can get, though. You will need to see your local dealer about them, and get proper foot measurements.

You could, try, to make a Wesco Jobmaster in to a suitable dress boot. If you order it through Big Black Boots you can opt for lower profile sole, and heel options. You'll need to pay a bit more to avoid the default oiled leathers, though.

If you're looking for simple 6" dress boots, you've got far more choices. Oak Street Bootmakers, Carmina, EG, Alden, etc. Examples of these will be found in most high-end shoe stores. THe Goodyear Welt Reddit page has many examples, as well.

Last edited:

TtownMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

thanks much in advance..

R

For your suit collection I would say go with Edward Green Shannon that you can dress up with suit or dress down if you like. And other option is gaziano & gerling they make some amazing boot also you have tones of choice. Shoot me pm & I can give specific also on what you are looking for exactly.

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

thanks much in advance..

R

Carmina 80092 Bal boot on the Robert last is an excellent choice -sleek lines with almost an almond shaped toe. A sleeker and better choice for a dress boot than Forest, IMO, and not chiseled or too pointy.

For a bit more cash and a bit more wait you can get exactly what you want in material, colour and last from Vass or Bonafe. F last for Vass and 363 Mod for Bonafe for a more rounded toe.

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Black, dark brown, medium brown, Oxblood, midnight blue - all can serve as dress boots. What defines a dress boot is the design, not the colour. Dressiest will be a closed lace bal boot, but some derby boots - like my Thorpes - will certainly serve..

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Saw @The Shoe Snob J. Fitzpatrick mentioned above - good recommendation there for sure. Take a good look at his button boots as well - killer colourways and sexy as hell.

Justin - I think "what makes a dress boot" would be a great topic for your blog.

Last edited:

bc78

Reaction score
Good advice above. For a dress boot, I'd go dark brown or oxblood for maximum versatility. The Carmina Roger recommended is very nice. The Vass 1184 or J Fitzpatrick David or Jimmy are other optins.

One thing: if your trousers are on the slimmer side you may want to avoid speed hooks as they can sometimes catch on the hems.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads