• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Choosing between Saint Crispin's custom last process and Bespoke Meccariello - or RTW G&G, EG, etc

dlf1981

Reaction score
Hello all. I currently have shoes from Carmina, Alden, Vass, Edward Green, and MTM by Zeb, among some other brands. I'm generally pretty leery of running far into diminishing returns with any hobby, so I am trying to take my time. My right foot being in a boot post-surgery through April will help minimize my impulsiveness :) It would be an overstatement to say I don't care about price, but I do try to be mindful of the dollar-value ratio - at least as I perceive it. Within that mindset, I find Carmina, Vass, Zeb to all be outstanding - particularly if you pick up Carminas on sale.

I'm very interested in trying something nearer to bespoke, particularly from one of the legendary high end shoemakers with all the right details and the most aggressive styles. There are RTW options from these makers in the same price range as having near-bespoke Saint Crispins, and then Meccariello's bespoke program is significantly less expensive than any other European bespoke shoemaker and requires no travel.

I will most likely be looking at a Galway or Galway-type of boot, and a double monk. For reference, these are the two I've been eyeballing:

EG Cordovan Galway

Saint Crispin's Double Monk

Saint Crispin's custom last program is interesting. Roughly 250eur per test pair then 300eur to make the last, from then on you pay RTW prices to make shoes off that last. I find this option intriguing. I'm not a super difficult fit and have a few shoes - like Carmina Inca shell monks - that fit like a glove all over.

On the other end, I'm looking at Meccariello's full bespoke program for 3300eur, and I am unsure what subsequent pair cost. This involves a couple of rounds of test pairs and a custom last, all done remotely.

So wrapping all this up, I'm trying to figure out the following:
1. My gut says the Saint Crispins is the best of both worlds. I can do 2 test pairs, custom last, and the monks I want for about 2000eur - and then I have a SC last forever. It seems like the best value. Am I missing anything here?

2. Meccariello's program is interesting particularly due to the price relative to competitors and lack of travel, however I am unsure how that would yield a better result than option 1 if the process in both cases is 1-2 test pairs that I wear for a while, get a last made, then make shoes. SC will cost less, but they don't call it "bespoke" - does that matter? I don't know.

3. My third choice is to look for pre-owned RTW from a few of these brands. There are quite a few great RTW brands in the 1000-1500eur price range. Maybe as an intermediary step - then explore the higher cost programs again. This is a distant 3rd because I hate buying and trying to resell shoes and I'm already sitting on a number of pair I thought would be easy to sell off (like Viberg chelsea in bamboo suede NIB)

JustPullHarder

Reaction score
AM bespoke is bespoke. Not really comparable hand stitched outsoles and better finishing. It's not a modification but a last made for you to your aesthetic preferences. Plus pattern modifications. Depends what you want. Perhaps Aurum or his Argentum handwelted with last modification is closer to what StC offers.

For a Galway I think the Galway pattern by EG is still the best. I think with top drawer some last and pattern modifications are possible as well.

dlf1981

Reaction score
AM bespoke is bespoke. Not really comparable hand stitched outsoles and better finishing. It's not a modification but a last made for you to your aesthetic preferences. Plus pattern modifications. Depends what you want. Perhaps Aurum or his Argentum handwelted with last modification is closer to what StC offers.

For a Galway I think the Galway pattern by EG is still the best. I think with top drawer some last and pattern modifications are possible as well.
Thanks!
I guess I’m confused on the degree of bespoke and what that entails. The process of trial pairs and custom last sound identical for SC and AM programs. The other AM programs - the basic MTM and the semi bespoke - land around 1500 and 2400 respectively - so similar to SC pricing.

I would assume with SC being in an extremely low cost area for operations I would like to think I’m getting more for my money there but maybe I’m fooling myself.

I tend to agree on the Galway pattern. A close second is another balmoral boot (my favorite style).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads