• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanohare

Reaction score
Folks, bit left-field here but... Can anyone recommend a good contract/employment lawyer in Melbourne? Not needed for much work, just to review a couple of docs ASAP.

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Yeah I get very warm so I'm looking for a flannel to wear in Sydney winter that I will be comfy in.

Don't worry I've got enough in the rotation to not be overly concerned about a crotch blow out hehe

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have some 9-10oz flannel trousers. They are good for Sydney's climate I find, just enough warmth for the cooler months, and not unbearable when the sun comes out unexpectedly. It is a good in-between fabric. A 7oz version is more towards a true summer weight and I'm not convinced it would have the right look or feel for summer. Maybe an English summer but not in Oz. Tropical wool or cotton/linen chinos are far better for that kind of wear IMO. Would also be too light for winter, even here.

Last edited:

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Romp - lightweight flannel sounds interesting. As others have said wearing might be a problem - but that depends on how hard you are on trousers- some people are much much harder on trousers than others. I'm not hard on clothes but I think I'd consider getting a "crotch saddle" lining and perhaps full lining around the seat to give more slide when sitting and such.

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Dont get me wrong - im also worried about the weight re:trouser!

It has a lovely hand and I think will be wonderfully drapey for a soft jacket. Ideally I wanted something mid 200 gram but in the colour I want the next option is 300gr.

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Also pondering this wide set herringbone as a navy staple jacket in winter

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It has a lovely hand and I think will be wonderfully drapey for a soft jacket. Ideally I wanted something mid 200 gram but in the colour I want the next option is 300gr.
300g is 10 1/2 oz - that's still quite light for flannel. I think you would get plenty of wear out of that in winter here, even if you do run warm.

It's always hard to extrapolate a small swatch to imagine a full jacket, but that looks like a versatile colour. My only concern would be I like a bit of 'fuzz' on my winter jackets, as the texture I feel should complement the warm hand of flannel trousers. OTOH some herringbones can be a bit shiny and 'hard' - especially if you have a bit of silk in there.

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Latest acquisition. Chance. $10aud .. Boyds Made in USA. Black and dark red tweed of some sort.

The full monty IVY Vintage - most likely 60s - swelled seams all round, no dart, 3 r 2, flap pockets, not patch, hooked back vent, 3" lapels, quarter/buggy lining, natural shoulder etc.

Just trying on here - with LL Bean Vintage shirt and John Bell of Scotland narrow black and dark red tie.

I'm trying to work out what to wear this with - its terribly dark and resolves to blackish at a distance. Its bit long and sleeves need to be shortened but otherwise fits spot on.

All suggestions, tie, shirt, trousers, gratefully accepted ?
Click on image to embiggen and see fabric better.

You could try navy cords, even cords in a sort of berry red might work if, as you say, it's got red in it but looks black from a distance. I think the tie and shirt you have there look good with it. Maybe swap in a navy knit tie or red/navy repp if you go for the navy cords. The lack of contrast between jacket/pants could be a problem but sometimes low contrast combos can work very well.

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
300g is 10 1/2 oz - that's still quite light for flannel. I think you would get plenty of wear out of that in winter here, even if you do run warm.
It's always hard to extrapolate a small swatch to imagine a full jacket, but that looks like a versatile colour. My only concern would be I like a bit of 'fuzz' on my winter jackets, as the texture I feel should complement the warm hand of flannel trousers. OTOH some herringbones can be a bit shiny and 'hard' - especially if you have a bit of silk in there.

Yeah this has a bit of "fuzz" and softness due to the 50% cashmere factor but not as much as you get in a flannel or pure cashmere. Keep in mind this is a summer weight fabric again due to intolerence to heat lol

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

After having quite a few suits and jackets in lighter fabrics, I'm moving towards heavier fabrics with more open weaves, like a fresco or similar. A friend of mine recently had a couple of suits and a jacket made up in cloth that is fairly heavy but which also has more of an open weave and it looks excellent. The jackets are largely unlined and the porosity of the cloth allows it to breathe but the weight makes it sit very nicely without crumpling.

I've got a lightish-navy herringbone-weave jacket with waist patch pockets and a welted breast pocket that gets a lot of wear in winter (and even a bit in summer, too). It's a really nice, versatile jacket.

I'd go for it.

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good advice JM. I find slightly heavier weight fabrics in an unlined jacket to be very suitable for our climate and quite versatile. They actually wear a lot cooler than they look and they allow you to layer a knit or scarf underneath in winter without overheating, which I am wont to do. They are also far more robust than the light stuff which is good if you do a bit of travelling.

I was excited to see Herringbone had an 'unlined' navy jacket in their current season. But when I looked at it I couldn't help but notice it actually had a houndstooth wool... lining. It was rather warm.

couldnthaveknow

Reaction score

mate just saw your store in the strand the other night - looks very good. I think that's a good location from a brand positioning point of view too

Would love to see a quick intro in your store window outlining services available. Or, newspaper articles which you have been featured in, etc, or if you have a block to spare, with a part way done jacket to illustrate the services available

I think most of the folks on the way to la rosa would be in a demographic interested in your services, especially if you made them aware of your price points and service offering, and the fact that you've made the papers for doing what you do etc

just a thought

:)

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I once said to some of my brothers /sisters " I've been obsessed with looking for a good book to read plus trying to get my clothes fitting right since I was 10 years old "

They said 'Yes we know"

Power & Style A World History of Politics and Dress by Dominique Gaulme &Francios Gaulme

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads