• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Latest acquisition. Chance. $10aud .. Boyds Made in USA. Black and dark red tweed of some sort.

The full monty IVY Vintage - most likely 60s - swelled seams all round, no dart, 3 r 2, flap pockets, not patch, hooked back vent, 3" lapels, quarter/buggy lining, natural shoulder etc.

Just trying on here - with LL Bean Vintage shirt and John Bell of Scotland narrow black and dark red tie.

I'm trying to work out what to wear this with - its terribly dark and resolves to blackish at a distance. Its bit long and sleeves need to be shortened but otherwise fits spot on.

All suggestions, tie, shirt, trousers, gratefully accepted ?
Click on image to embiggen and see fabric better.

Last edited:

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks beautiful fxh. Maybe wear it with a lighter coloured flannel/tweed/rough cotton trouser, and definitely a pocket square to break up the dark colour block.

Goes well with that shirt/tie combo.

Oli2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks awesome man, no idea why you come to us for advice.

FXH is most of your stuff OTR? Are you usually happy with the fits or did you once have a M2M phase?

btw - grey flannels with pleats.

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I bought a brand new Corby trouser press today off Gumtree today...

Kinda cool that it doubles as a valet for the next day too. I'll wall mount it eventually.

Will come in most handy for cotton trousers I think, it annoys me that they lose their creases so easily.

[sigh] My dad passed away last June. He had one of these trouser presses, most likely the exact same model judging from the photo. Given to him as a Xmas present by my mum many years ago - I remember it vividly.

I had very limited time to clean out his place and sort all his stuff - the timer dial on his press had stopped functioning, so after some agonising, I decided to turf it to Diabetes Australia. Hope they on-sold it to someone nice.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Impossible to tell the colour of it in that picture, need to see it in natural light.

Lachy -if you click bigger thats pretty much how it is - believe it or not - thats my problem - its interesting enough up close - like kissing close and with a keen clothes nerd eye but to most it will look like an almost black jacket. I 'm not used to wearing stuff that looks black - I was - but I've given it away especially for smart casual. I don't always reject black for casual street wear. I need to keep the Ivy faith man - no pleats and narrow trousers with high rise, BD shirt, narrow usually knit or rep tie. Under the radar but smart look. Dress bourgeois nondescript :: think radical revolution.No threat until the explosion.

lachyzee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your father. It certainly has a very retro feel to it. Looks like they have released some more contemporary looking models recently, though, at inflated prices.

It works fanatically well I must say. Trousers look like a million bucks. I can't believe these aren't more popular hear. It'll save me a tonne of money on pressing.

I also can't believe that they are apparently still made in England in this day and age. I would've thought China for sure.

Edit - turns out it has a little tie rack too. What a great little gadget. Should be one in every house / hotel room.

Last edited:

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Looks beautiful fxh. Maybe wear it with a lighter coloured flannel/tweed/rough cotton trouser, and definitely a pocket square to break up the dark colour block.
Goes well with that shirt/tie combo.

I would normally steer away from something so dark and black - but its the genuine article so I couldn't resist.. I'm pretty ok for shirts I think - in fact I have some vintage dusky faded pink /stripes OCBDs that will work and a few knit and tartan ties - but its the trousers I'm stressing about - I'm thinking tan military twill or tan cords or blue cords maybe even my red cords might work - I'll have to have a try on night. White twill jeans will work but might be a bit too much contrast.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Looks awesome man, no idea why you come to us for advice. 
FXH is most of your stuff OTR? Are you usually happy with the fits or did you once have a M2M phase?
btw - grey flannels with pleats. 

Oli - mostly OTR but often radically altered.
I've got bespoke, MTM, custom and one offs - + samples only etc.
I can write ,and have, a whole paper on fits and sizes in clothes. Did you know that the QA tolerance in clothing is .05"???!!!!!. OTR - some brands , in some lines are a good fit fr some people - if you strike it lucky you buy up.

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Just found 190gr flannel.. Tempted

As a comparison most of my Thomas Mason shirt cloths are just 190gr!

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's that, 7oz? I don't mind lighter weight flannel but that's a bit too light. It would be too delicate for most people. Also I'm not convinced it would be a very effective summer fabric. Flannel just doesn't look summery for a start.

Edit: I presume you are thinking suit/jacket, not shirt/sheets?

Last edited:

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just found 190gr flannel.. Tempted

As a comparison most of my Thomas Mason shirt cloths are just 190gr!

Places like Ring Jacket and Beams in Japan sell quite a bit of lightweight flannel.

It's got a nice hand to it and is certainly lighter and cooler than winter flannel. However, I've heard from a couple of friends that it wears quite quickly as it's both light and fuzzy (rather than smooth) so it's not particularly durable - which rather contradicts the main purpose of flannel.

If you're only going to wear it occasionally, then I'd say it would be fine, but if it's for a weekly wear pair of trousers or suit, then I'd likely give it a miss. If it's for the business, then I'd say you should give it a whirl first to see how durable this particular fabric is before offering it to people as an option.

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't be that suitable for trousers IMO, because of the texture of flannel which creates friction in points where it rubs (i.e between the legs) those area will wear out super quick. Also as flannel is quite a stretchy fabric, the lighter weight the more it can stretch and lose it's shape/crease over the course of a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads