• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

couldnthaveknow

Reaction score
flying down to Melb during the Easter break, staying at Rendezvous Grand Hotel on Flinders st, only the 2nd time in Melbourne in my life....

Any recommendations for breakie, lunch and dinner? preferably within walking distance in the conservative business dress.

mate I must recommend bistro vue. This is where vue du monde used to be

I think 1 chef hat, but great place. My fav is the lamb shoulder, but the must have is tarte tartan

Their sommelier is great but just keep in mind most of their wine is french so a bottle easily runs 250-300

Dinner for two with dessert and so on is just a tad over 100, so very good value

Liber

Reaction score
Can anyone comment on C&J 348 last fitting? I'm looking to get a pair of Tetbury's and there's conflicting reports of whether to size down half a size, or go down one full size. My foot is quite narrow and long, and I was thinking of only going down half a size, but I'm worried if I don't get this right, my foot will be flopping around.

thebrownman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Toby, how do you find the bottom of your waistcoat thang? What has put me off it in pictures is that it isn't "flat" at the bottom like a conventional cardigan. I've seen the alternatives, but I don't have that kind of coin for thangs..

DartagnanRed

Reaction score
Can anyone comment on C&J 348 last fitting? I'm looking to get a pair of Tetbury's and there's conflicting reports of whether to size down half a size, or go down one full size. My foot is quite narrow and long, and I was thinking of only going down half a size, but I'm worried if I don't get this right, my foot will be flopping around.
I just bought a pair of Hallams on the 348 and I was my normal size...

tobiasj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Toby, how do you find the bottom of your waistcoat thang? What has put me off it in pictures is that it isn't "flat" at the bottom like a conventional cardigan. I've seen the alternatives, but I don't have that kind of coin for thangs..

Didn't even think about it tbh, but now that you mention it, I prefer it shaped rather than flat. Little peekaboo of tie-tip and belt buckle adds interest imo.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

mate I must recommend bistro vue. This is where vue du monde used to be 

I think 1 chef hat, but great place. My fav is the lamb shoulder, but the must have is tarte tartan

Their sommelier is great but just keep in mind most of their wine is french so a bottle easily runs 250-300 

Dinner for two with dessert and so on is just a tad over 100, so very good value 

Tick to this.

During the daytime, there is a fantastic cake shop just up Lt Collins from Bistro Vue called Le Petit Gateau.

Arch3r

Reaction score

I just bought a pair of Hallams on the 348 and I was my normal size...
Same 348 usual size, in fact they are one of the best fitting shoes I've owned.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Can anyone comment on C&J 348 last fitting? I'm looking to get a pair of Tetbury's and there's conflicting reports of whether to size down half a size, or go down one full size. My foot is quite narrow and long, and I was thinking of only going down half a size, but I'm worried if I don't get this right, my foot will be flopping around.

I usually take a UK9 and I took a UK9 in the 348 last. I wouldn't go down a size or even half a size.

[Of course, if we're talking US size -v- UK size, then yes, you'd typically go down a size as UK9 = US10 in most measurements.]

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The 348 is one of the narrower C&J lasts in my experience so I would stick with your usual size. Nowhere close by that you can try a pair on?

Liber

Reaction score

The 348 is one of the narrower C&J lasts in my experience so I would stick with your usual size. Nowhere close by that you can try a pair on?

The Tetbury seems to be slightly elongated as compared to a normal lace up shoe in the 348, hence why everyone's recommendations on sizing down.

Unfortunately not able to try any on, I'm located in Darwin, NT, and the only shoes available here are RM Williams and thongs/crocs so I'm playing the internet-guess-your-size game. Fairly confident on sizing down half and the boots fitting well, once I place the order and receive, I'll update!

TimelessMan

Reaction score

Petepan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

MFK Absolue Pour le Matin is  a nice citrus scent with a playful side, very far from disinfectant and more longevity than most citrus scents.  Another would be MFK aqua universalis Forte would be another one to look at.  A popular one and one you could readily sample around oz would be Guerlain L'instant pour homme (non extreme version) a citrus scent with a cacao dry down, the dry of which is particularly nice in the cooler weather. 

The MFKs are really pricey though.

Guerlain at DJ offering a good deal on L Instant PH, for $113 and you get a gift pack of ladies skin care valued at $115 for your other half.

If specifically lemon that you are after, I recently tried L Occitane Lemon Verbena and it is pretty good, although it probably wont last too long on skin.

Chanel Pour Monsieur or Dior Eau Sauvage EDT are also workable at a decent price, without letting yourself descend into the addictive madness of niche perfumery.

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rockin' the autumn colours today in that Melbourne.

lachyzee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I bought a brand new Corby trouser press today off Gumtree today...

Kinda cool that it doubles as a valet for the next day too. I'll wall mount it eventually.

Will come in most handy for cotton trousers I think, it annoys me that they lose their creases so easily.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads