• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoubleOldFashioned

Reaction score

A 10.5 EEE is not gonna fit any stock CJ lasts. I'm the same size and I tried exhaustively! The only thing that fit me was a 10 G in Pembroke. That and only like 3 or 4 oxfords are the only models they actively stock in extra-wide. Anything else requires a single MTO, which adds several hundy to the price. But yeah, Connistins are badass...
That's great info-thanks. I have a high instep, making most Bals not as comfortable as bluchers and makes it impossible to find loafers (I'm a EEEE on the Aberdeen last and it's still uncomfortable). There's a C&J stockest nearby, so maybe I can try some on. My MacNeils and Leeds are so much better than my Park Aves and Strands.

Last edited:

matwa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chili Varno -

So, what is the real difference between a Varno and a Leeds (1.0)? Cheaper leather? or just the rubber sole?
I'm planning to ultimately have these recrafted with a double butyl sole.

gooter

Reaction score
Non-AE content today, and the reason I keep resisting the Higgins Mill (hopefully you'll all be able to convince me I need both).

Wolverine 1000 mile

armedferret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Non-AE content today, and the reason I keep resisting the Higgins Mill (hopefully you'll all be able to convince me I need both).

Wolverine 1000 mile

For post #250, as an officially-designated ENABLER, GET THE HIGGINS MILL.

GET THE HIGGINS MILL.

I'm getting a pair as soon as my TDI buyback is complete this weekend. That's a whole other ball of fun that's been dragging out since November....and was supposed to be happening in March. Then Corporate called...apparently I'm gettin extra grease for being a squeaky wheel. :D

M2511

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wish I had a chance to just try C&J. I mostly want to know if their footbeds at the ball are more comfortable than Loake and AE. I saw Barney's was recently selling the black Connaught for $189, which is insanely good. C&J's can be found around $400 right now if you don't go through their website. I don't like their $600+ price tag for their shoes that you can find on other sites like Pediwear for 200 less -- it's like they are trying to charge US customers more.
As someone else stated, order through their UK store and you won't get hit with the large NY store markup. I've been eyeing their wholecut for a while but I need to size it before I buy it.

The 1943 most decidedly is NOT a shorter version of the 333. Don't tell people that.

The 333 had a generous instep with a different shape. The 1943 has a very low cone and fits a hell of a lot more like a 5 last with less volume at the toes.

I fit 333 last like it was made for me. The instep works for higher instep people.

A 5 last in my brannock size hurts like hell and I literally can't even get my foot all the way in a Cornwallis in my size. Very different lasts.
Said no one, ever.
The Rouge is on the 201 and because it's a Blucher it fits bigger. I have to do 11.5D in that shoe.

I think the increased volume in the toe of the 201 vs the 65 may lead to it feeling longer but I find their lengths (balmoral) to be very close. 201 feels much better to me on the instep. The 1943 on the leiden is without a doubt shorter and has much less toe volume. I do not have an issue with the instep on it personally but the lack of volume is definitely noticeable (but still works for me). The 333 has much more volume in the toe and the instep is more forgiving. Again this is in my experience. I agree with you TT that the Rogue was an anomaly of sorts it really didn't seem to fit like the rest of the last. I expected a difference due to being a blucher but I ordered several sizes in it and they did not fit me particularly well so I had to return.

Last edited:

middlepP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I also find the 201 to fit slightly longer than the 65.

Interesting. Every 201 I've tried on fits me the same or slightly shorter. Now I'm talking strictly length, not overall fit. As someone who varies between heel-toe (9.25) and heel-ball (10-10.5), I feel heel to ball is longer on the 65. There is a lot more volume, a higher cone, and some extra width on the 201 (especially if you have flater feet), which I could see leading people to want to drop down.

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The shoes look very nice, and the cat looks even nicer. (Wife and I are both cat people...)

I'm not a cat person, but my wife is. One of our cats "picked me" when she was an 8 week old kitten, and we had to get another one a month later because the first was lonely with us at work all day.

So yeah. I'm a dog person with two cats.

Maiden voyage of the new Verona II's. Loving the brown:

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not a cat person, but my wife is. One of our cats "picked me" when she was an 8 week old kitten, and we had to get another one a month later because the first was lonely with us at work all day.

So yeah. I'm a dog person with two cats.

Maiden voyage of the new Verona II's. Loving the brown:

We're apparently next door neighbors. My neighbor got conned into this solution as well and now, 10 years later, is banned from getting a dog because it would upset the cats.

007Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wolverine 1000 mile

For sure and exp while the price is still low get the HM.

You can see the positiveness on this forum for the HM.

I resisted for a while but once I received and wore the one within a week I ordered a seconds pair in a diff color.

At the very least order one at the low price it is now and try on carpet at home you will be sold.

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

We're apparently next door neighbors.  My neighbor got conned into this solution as well and now, 10 years later, is banned from getting a dog because it would upset the cats. 

Lol sounds about right. My wife wants a 3rd cat, so "the two we currently have won't get lonely with just each other all day".. I told her over my broken, bleeding body will we get a 3rd one. Considering she's a Crossfit coach, expect to see posts of me in a body cast.

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I never really "got" what people saw in a split toe until I saw this post from a few days back. Coincidentally, a pair on Dainite, which I love, in my size shows up from everyone's favorite seller on the bay. Once again I traded suffering through a week at Disney World (some of you may recall my similar trade last September to acquire my HM, going in November this year) and convinced the wife that I'd make an offer but didn't expect it to be accepted. No, that's not just something I told her, I really didn't expect it. I offered 62.7% of his listed price to make it a round number for me and it was accepted within an hour. Maiden voyage today.

The only reason I can find that he even had them is the following

I threw a simple thin cork/leather insole over the top and am enjoying my first foray into shell all in (shoes, trees, and insoles) for just under 2 bills.

What a coincidence! First day off the carpet for the pair that inspired you.

By the way if anyone thinks they want cav twills, call O'Connel's during their winter sale. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking a pair up.

M2511

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lol sounds about right. My wife wants a 3rd cat, so "the two we currently have won't get lonely with just each other all day".. I told her over my broken, bleeding body will we get a 3rd one. Considering she's a Crossfit coach, expect to see posts of me in a body cast.

With that logic you'll have 10 cats in no time. Obviously the solution is to get a dog so loneliness is the last thing the cats are worried about.
nest.gif

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sold!

Sizing compared to the 5 or the 511 last?

I think if comparing blucher to blucher there isn't much difference. But a 5 last blucher is a bit unusual. I have the Black Hills and it fits great in my "normal" size (10.5E) but most 5 last AE's are oxfords.. Most of the popular 511's are bluchers. So apples and oranges.

If you have a higher instep you will likely need to go up a width from your 511 last or else tolerate a large "v-gap." If going from a 5 oxford, you will find a 511 blucher a bit roomier. That's my experience anyway.

Last edited:

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The 1943 most decidedly is NOT a shorter version of the 333. Don't tell people that.

The 333 had a generous instep with a different shape. The 1943 has a very low cone and fits a hell of a lot more like a 5 last with less volume at the toes.

I fit 333 last like it was made for me. The instep works for higher instep people.

A 5 last in my brannock size hurts like hell and I literally can't even get my foot all the way in a Cornwallis in my size. Very different lasts.

It is a derived from the 333, although I'm sure it's not exactly the same. People who have problems with the 333 often have the same problems with the 1943. So what I said is not misleading or inaccurate. I have limited experience with the 1943, but they do feel similar to my feet when they are the same length as the 333. Anyway, your mileage may vary, as they say.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads