• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Middlife

Reaction score

roz77

Reaction score
Does anyone have any pictures comparing AE's Burgundy Shell Cordovan to Merlot or Oxblood?

Middlife

Reaction score
My first experience with CXL leather is the Higgins Mill boot. I've worn these about twice a week now since the beginning of September. I wear them through rain and snow as well as to the bars where they've been stepped on and have had drinks spilled on them. When I get home, I just wipe them down, apply leather lotion from time to time, and they are good to go!

I haven't been in the quality leather footwear game long enough to have really experienced anything developing a patina but I think that these are on their way, and I must say, I dig the look.

hohneokc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sometimes shoes are more than shoes. My dad always wore Allen Edmonds. In fact, he bought me my first pair of Allen Edmonds and it has gone on from there. I bought my son his first pair of Allen Edmonds also and I'm hoping the tradition continues.

As my dad got older, health issues prevented him from dressing like I always remembered him dressing - suit and tie. So his wardrobe became more casual and he did not wear AE's. I didn't know what happened to his AE shoes - didn't really care to be honest.

I lost my dad in late October last year. My mom called the other day and said there were 2 pair of Allen Edmonds shoes still in his closet and she asked what size I wore. They were my size. She asked me if I wanted them and of course I said yes.

So today I am wearing my dad's Berwicks. He always wore black shoes - maybe the occasional burgundy, but mostly black. I usually don't wear a lot of black shoes, but today I am wearing his black polished cobbler 8817 Berwicks.

There might be a few pairs of AE's in and out of my collection over the years, but these are a permanent fixture.

Chris

Today I'm wearing the other pair of my dad's shoes - black Saratogas

St Hubbins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My first experience with CXL leather is the Higgins Mill boot. I've worn these about twice a week now since the beginning of September. I wear them through rain and snow as well as to the bars where they've been stepped on and have had drinks spilled on them. When I get home, I just wipe them down, apply leather lotion from time to time, and they are good to go!

I haven't been in the quality leather footwear game long enough to have really experienced anything developing a patina but I think that these are on their way, and I must say, I dig the look.

Every single time you post pics of yours, I immediately want to run out and buy a pair in natural as well. Every time.

M2511

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any pictures comparing AE's Burgundy Shell Cordovan to Merlot or Oxblood?

I don't have a picture but at least for the Burg Shell Dundees I have they are closer to oxblood than they are merlot. Oxblood carlyle, merlot mcallister, burg shell dundees. It also takes more light to bring out the color in the shell again this is for mine anyway. The carlyle and mcallister colors are visible in poor lighting though obviously are better in sunlight.

armedferret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Every single time you post pics of yours, I immediately want to run out and buy a pair in natural as well. Every time.

As newly-appointed Apropos Meme Guy
2122.png
, I heartily chime in with:

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Same. As I've said before, i don't wear my brown ones enough to justify a second pair, but if money were no object...

Middlife

Reaction score
Don't forget to grab a second pair of McAllisters in Merlot while you're at it.

@orange fury let's see how much redundancy we can weasel him into buying ;-)

Middlife

Reaction score

Moose22

Reaction score
So what I said is not misleading or inaccurate.

It is both. Decidedly. People fed me that BS about a "Shorter 333" when the Cornwallis first came out and I tried a pair. Literally couldn't even get my feet into them. I was misled and the statement is very inaccurate.

A last is a 3D item. The fact that the outline when looking straight down from the top, like you're wearing the shoes, is similar has almost nothing to do with the important differences in the last itself. A LOT of what makes lasts fit us better or worse comes down to the cone, the width of the heel, and how the wide part matches the wide part of our foot -- much more so than length over the toes, in fact.

Your 1943 may have some styling queues from the 333 last, but it is not derived from it. I don't know where you got that, but if it was from the statements that leaked out before the Cornwallis was first available, they've been proven wrong. It is not. It is not shaped like it, it does not fit like it, and someone else who cannot fit into low-instep lasts easily could definitely be led to believe otherwise by statements to that effect. Please stop telling people this without qualification.

middlepP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Work at home day in tan Freiburg. Another great value from AE - released as a BF or X-mas deal!
These (201, right?) are same size as my 65. Can't imagine dropping down in these. Length would be too short. Then again, maybe I am on the longer end of the 65.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members