• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Thank you for suggestions. The McTavish (and Macneils) look very tempting. Looking for something that can maybe fit in casual, business casual and stylish dressed down evenings scenarios. What do you guys think about LaSalle in Chili. They are super cheap on shoebank and I've been thinking about pulling the trigger. Would they be versatile and a good pair to add to my collection?

Last edited:

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there any way to buy AE shoe boxes officially? Or should I just go get some shoe containers from the Container store?

They will send you a new box when you get a recraft. Other than that, I don't know of another way. Flannel bags come up for sale on eBay regularly, though I feel they are generally over priced.

I just keep whatever shoes I don't have boxes for on a rack.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you for suggestions. The McTavish (and Macneils) look very tempting. Looking for something that can maybe fit in casual, business casual and stylish dressed down evenings scenarios. What do you guys think about LaSalle in Chili. They are super cheap on shoebank and I've been thinking about pulling the trigger. Would they be versatile and a good pair to add to my collection?

I'm a big fan of the split-toe shoes. I own the Lasalle and it's a wonderful shoe. It's very comfortable because of the poron insole. The Delray is also really nice, and slightly more formal. The Delray doesn't have the poron, but most claim it's still very comfortable. Even though both are on the same last, the fit will be slightly different because the poron insole makes the shoes feel a little more snug. The Delray will be more roomy. They both have a slender, "pointy" kind of look to them that gives them both a sleek look. I just have to warn you though that they are not casual shoes. They work fine for business casual, but I don't think I would wear either of them with jeans. You could "get away with it", but it wouldn't be my first choice.

If you can find one, I would get a chili Delray, or a dark chili Lasalle.

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Am I the only one who finds shell cordovan hot and unbreathable? I have a pair of Alden 9015s from Brooks Brothers, and I really don't wear them much. They require cream maintenance after a light rain to get the spots out, they simply aren't practical on a regular basis. For all these reasons, my shell usually gets worn once a year at a business conference.

FWIW, I decided that the shoes simply weren't comfortable; my weight has dropped since I broke them in. I decided to get them rebuilt by Alden, hoping to break them in to my new foot dimensions. Maybe if they were more comfortable, I wouldn't mind putting up with them.

Maybe I got a bum deal, but mine do have to be babied, which defeats the purpose of such a durable leather.

I don't find them to be any hotter. I feel good socks make a big difference.

In a related note, I know some people have an aversion to wearing boots in the summer because of the heat. But as long as I'm wearing good breathable socks like Thorlo or Darn Tough I'm fine.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They will send you a new box when you get a recraft. Other than that, I don't know of another way. Flannel bags come up for sale on eBay regularly, though I feel they are generally over priced.

I just keep whatever shoes I don't have boxes for on a rack.
You can get the AE flannel bags from the stores (at least some of them) or a Shoebank location (I think all of them) for $10. They're better than what Alden ships, so I feel OK with them @ $10, though $6-$7 would seem more reasonable...

Reaction score
Would you recommend the LaSalle dark chili or chili? Shoebank site is horrible to understand these subtle color nuances
censored.gif

M2511

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would you recommend the LaSalle dark chili or chili? Shoebank site is horrible to understand these subtle color nuances
censored.gif

Really your preference. They made chili and discontinued it in favor of bob's chili or "dark chili" if I am not mistaken. As their name indicates dark chili is noticeably a shade darker. Both are good choices though.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is there any way to buy AE shoe boxes officially? Or should I just go get some shoe containers from the Container store?

I would not recommend boxes. You can't see the shoes inside and you have to stack and unstack them all the time. Finally, being cardboard, they will break down at the corners. I prefer hanging shoe bags. I have three from Bed Bath and Beyond and the shoe bags are in the Beyond department. However, now that I have them I do not recommend them as they have limitations. First, they attach to the bar in the closet by a velcro strap that pulls at the center of the bag. This will eventually get weak and it also bows the top of the bag.

Second, the space for each shoe is too narrow and the shoes will not fit side by side. I place the left shoe in flat, then turn around the other shoe and tilt it so it fits. You can see this in the picture.

I checked the BBB website and this bag is no longer offered. They still have a version but it now hangs by metal hooks. The size of the bag and compartments are 50" H x 8" W x 12" D. Price is $27.99.

The shoe bag from the container store hangs off the bar by a metal hook on the far side of the bag. This is sturdier and does not bow the top of the bag. More importantly, it looks like the shoe space is considerably wider to allow both shoes to sit side by side. The dimensions of this bag is 9-3/4" x 12" x 50" H. That is nearly two inches wider for the shoes and eliminates the shoe tilt. Price is $24.99.

I will be switching mine out for this better model.

Last edited:

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where's Walnut?

Wearing walnut Strands on Walnut Wednesday.

Are these shoe weasels?

quickonthetree

Reaction score
Hopefully it's not sacrilege to post this but here is todays shoe choice. A pair of Navy suede Frye Chukkas. These are ridiculously comfortable. On the bright side the shirt I am wearing is AE as well as the Navy Cottonwood belt, my wallet and key ring are both also AE. Even when wearing different shoes there is AE something on me lol.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads