• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

middlepP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I treat all my shoes / boots before I wear them. The Higgins Mill is chromexcel and AE recommends their AE Leather Lotion only. That is what I used on all my chromexcel and it works great.

Chris

@ny3pcg , as Chris mentioned, I agree that Leather Lotion should do the trick.

I have had great results with Bick 4 (used on all my leathers). I recently picked up Neatsfoot oil (I think what Horween suggests for CXL) to use on a pair of Oak Streets that I wanted to darken slightly. I think either would be a decent option.

RTD1

Reaction score
I'm looking at a future purchase (after trunk show) for some shell loafers. Looking at the Randolph or the Patriot. Assuming both fit (bold assumption), what are your opinions on the two? Probably looking at Burgundy for the color.

Also did anyone notice the Christmas shoes disappeared for the RDA sale?

I snagged a pair of Merlot Randolphs when they had the clearance on all things Merlot. I really like them. They fit me perfectly TTS. It seems most people have some fit issues with the Patriots. The Randolphs are also dressier, being full strap and having the toe stitching inset further.

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not even going to attempt alliteration with these today. But I love the look nonetheless :)

Tassel Tuesday, clearly

I got alliterations fo' days

Last edited:

bkdc

Reaction score
I spoke with my local AE store, and apparently, I am only able to order shoes in black, burgundy, or brown shell cordovan during the trunk show. Are the special colors only available at certain stores?

middlepP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question for the forum...

I work in a (university) environment that is on the casual end of biz casual. Basically, dark denim/chino/trousers + button up shirt works for most days. I occasionally host "clients" into the office and will throw on a blazer during this time. For this, all but the most casual AEs will suffice.

About once a month or so, I conduct ~2 day site visit, where I am dressed in either a suit w/out a tie or a trouser/coat pairing. If at all possible, I wear the shoes on both days and also while on the plane. (If I pack other pair of shoes they are sneakers for extended, off-hours walking/playing.) This requires that the shoes have extra versatility.

In the past, my chili Bleeckers have been my workhorse. I love these boots! Actually, I love boots in general, for that matter! For severe weather, I have been able to get away with dark brown grain First Aves or even Rush Streets. My Bleekers are starting to get beat into the ground and I am uncertain if I will re-craft them, mainly because of the vamp puckering.

So,... I'd love to find another dress chukka. I haven't found the optimal fit in the Fifth Street. My SA said he thought a brown Dundee was perfect for how I would use it, especially since I was so happy with the fit of my recent shell Daltons in 10C plus a RW insert. Thoughts? I think it would look better than 99% of the people I engage with while on a site visit, but I am a bit concerned about the reverse welt.

tl;dr: Is a brown Dundee too casual of a workhorse travel option when paired with trouser/coat combo or even suit minus the tie? If so, what other options should I look at?

middlepP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, sounds like there is some stock left of the cordovan Dundees, despite them being pulled from the website. So, if you were hoping for this during the RDA - place a call to your favorite SA and see what they can find in inventory.

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I spoke with my local AE store, and apparently, I am only able to order shoes in black, burgundy, or brown shell cordovan during the trunk show.  Are the special colors only available at certain stores?

See my previous posts (yesterday) - they don't know exactly what colors yet, but there will like be non-standard options available.

Buster Brown

Reaction score
Navy suede Dundees today. This is a case of procrastination paying off. I decided to buy these months ago, after the price refused to budge through several sales. I never got around to calling but finally had a trip that took me close to an outlet. By that time the price was down another $40. I had them shipped in and the fit was spot on. The only issue seemed to be a popping sound, likely due to a bubble in the cork. That went away after a couple wears and I couldn't be happier with them.

Buster Brown

Reaction score

tl;dr: Is a brown Dundee too casual of a workhorse travel option when paired with trouser/coat combo or even suit minus the tie? If so, what other options should I look at?

I share your enthusiasm for boots. My rule of thumb is, if I'd wear the non-boot equivalent, I'll wear the boot. So, if it's something you'd wear Leeds with, chukkas are good to go. I figure it's a wash from eye level and a little sprezzatura for anyone looking closer. That said, I won't claim it's 'proper' or defend it on the conservative business dress threads.

A related anecdote: a once prolific poster (@Doc Holliday) once claimed he could wear anything with 2 pairs of Chelsea boots (black and tan). I think he's right. You certainly could, though reasonable minds can disagree on "should."

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Damn. Sorry I missed Pauls AMA. Would have asked him whatever happened to his promise of more Shakers. :fu:

Scarlet

Reaction score
I forgot to take pictures but today was First Avenuesday for me.

I work in a (university) environment that is on the casual end of biz casual. Basically, dark denim/chino/trousers + button up shirt works for most days. I occasionally host "clients" into the office and will throw on a blazer during this time. For this, all but the most casual AEs will suffice.

About once a month or so, I conduct ~2 day site visit, where I am dressed in either a suit w/out a tie or a trouser/coat pairing. If at all possible, I wear the shoes on both days and also while on the plane. (If I pack other pair of shoes they are sneakers for extended, off-hours walking/playing.) This requires that the shoes have extra versatility.

In the past, my chili Bleeckers have been my workhorse. I love these boots! Actually, I love boots in general, for that matter! For severe weather, I have been able to get away with dark brown grain First Aves or even Rush Streets. My Bleekers are starting to get beat into the ground and I am uncertain if I will re-craft them, mainly because of the vamp puckering.

So,... I'd love to find another dress chukka. I haven't found the optimal fit in the Fifth Street. My SA said he thought a brown Dundee was perfect for how I would use it, especially since I was so happy with the fit of my recent shell Daltons in 10C plus a RW insert. Thoughts? I think it would look better than 99% of the people I engage with while on a site visit, but I am a bit concerned about the reverse welt.

I would totally wear brown Dundees with a suit because I'm a man I'll wear whatever the heck I want.

Here's me in a suit with Dundees (probably not the same kind of suit you wear but still):

Last edited:

cc808314

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So some of you have been asking how you can get the discount using your Amex card's points.  Here's what you need to do:

1. check your Amex points and see how much money you have available.
2. Find the shoes you want.
3. Go to the AE store (this will not work online) and ask to split the bill between the Amex and another card (or cash).
4. Very important: make sure the amount you pay on the Amex is not more than your total points, or this will not work. 
5. Wait 2-3 business days for the payment to post to your Amex account, and  then apply the points.

Are you getting better than 1:1 when using points? If not, you can just convert the point to statement credit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads