• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alfred Sargent Handgrade - Pictures

emptym

Reaction score
Very nice, VR. Thanks for posting them.

We're looking forward to your arrival in SF, Chay.

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Happy to contribute. Here's my Handgrade pair: model Keats in Horween whisky shell cordovan, last 19, leather soles and dark purple lining along with vanity sole nails.

Alfred_Sargent_Handgrade04.jpg

love to see the patina on this cordo after a few years, they'll be pearly. I know what you mean about the 'dog ear' but I think it adds something - after all, these are a one-off and they should have unique styling. Some of my shoes have styling features that have taken me months and even years to adjust to. I really disliked the color and what I thought was excessive brougeing on a pair of Vass I received, for example, but frequent wear has softened the look and endeared them to me, and now I'd put them in my top 2 or 3. I particularly like the sole edge on these - matches the upper color beautifully.They are quality shoes - the kind you can hand on to your children (who'd no doubt be disgusted by the thought, but then that's their job). congrats

Mean-Forme

Reaction score
Happy to contribute. Here's my Handgrade pair: model Keats in Horween whisky shell cordovan, last 19, leather soles and dark purple lining along with vanity sole nails.

Wow interesting shoes! I'm glad you're pleased with them. Can I ask how long you had to wait? Also, what was the damage for MTO cordovan?

It's a shame they used such a dark upper thread colour. IMO there's too much of a contrast especially when paired with a natural sole edge, welt & sole stitch. The other thing that strikes me is the colour of the heel. There's a huge difference between the top-piece and "Pack"! Did you request this?

Mean-Forme

Reaction score
Quote:

Wow interesting shoes! I'm glad you're pleased with them VRaivio. Can I ask how long did you have to wait for them? Also what was the damage for MTO cordovan?

It's a shame they used such a dark closing thread for the upper! IMO there's too much of a contrast, especially when paired with a natural welt, sole stitch and edge colour. The other comment I would make is regarding the heel colour. There's a massive difference between the Top piece and "heel pack". Did you ask for this?

badsha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Reviving this thread. Met with Chay in Los Angeles Sunday finally. Great guy, placed an order for 2 MTO's. The shoes look much better in person than the pictures. Pictures do not do these shoes justice.

Last edited:

Burton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am posting one picture here and cross linking this to the shoe Appreciation thread so you can see my new handgrades.

Boar1.jpg

http://www.styleforum.net/t/168002/...ppreciation-central-part-ii/7095#post_4869324

Last edited:

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am posting one picture here and cross linking this to the shoe Appreciation thread so you can see my new handgrades.
Boar1.jpg

http://www.styleforum.net/t/168002/...ppreciation-central-part-ii/7095#post_4869324

hawt !

- assuming they're on the 53 do u find it fits same as the 48? they look quite narrow by comparison

Burton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

hawt !
- assuming they're on the 53 do u find it fits same as the 48? they look quite narrow by comparison

I haven't worn them enough, Pliny, to tell you exactly, but the fit is quite good. I think they fit is improved over that of my Keats which is on the 48. They do not feel narrow but they look very sleek.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads