• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alfred Sargent Handgrade - Pictures

frivmo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NORE
laugh.gif
I had just come back from. Saw a dude that was at your thing while I was there, too.

I think that might've been me. I thought I recognized somebody when I first got there, but couldn't place him.

Bicks

Reaction score
Anybody know the reason why Alfred Sargenat have no pictures of its AS Handgrade on its website anymore.I can recall 2 or so months ago having a look at these on their website.
plain.gif

frivmo

Reaction score
They're redesigning their site so they took the old one down. There's a bunch of handgrade stuff in their blog that you can check out in the meantime, or I'm sure you can email Chay directly for some pics.

medtech_expat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Saw Chay in London today and he mentioned he would be bringing several new models during his US trunk shows this Fall. Dates as follows:

NYC: September 22 @ Leffot
LA: September 25-26 @ the Palomar Hotel in Westwood
SF: September 28-29 @ the Marriott Marquis on 4th Street

emptym

Reaction score
^ Any pics of your shoes or the factory or showroom, MTE?

I got an email about it the upcoming show. The times and locations are on the AS blog:
http://alfred-sargent.blogspot.com/2011/07/as-handgrade-trunkshows-usa-september.html

I look forward to meeting Chay irl after much email correspondence and to getting his feedback on the fit of shoes I have now, in order to see if I should try a different last and/or size on an order I've already placed. I know a couple others are planning to visit in San Francisco, and I hope more are, since I twisted Chay's arm to get him here!

Last edited:

frivmo

Reaction score
Wow, STUNNING VRaivio. Hope my MTO handgrade Carroll loafers in tobacco suede with pebble-grain tassels come out half as great as those.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Amazing!

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
what with the dark stitching or is it just the pictures?

looks very different

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Happy to contribute. Here's my Handgrade pair: model Keats in Horween whisky shell cordovan, last 19, leather soles and dark purple lining along with vanity sole nails.

Alfred_Sargent_Handgrade05.jpg

What is that mark on the inside right heel counter?

Last edited:

rabiesinfrance

Reaction score
I don't like the fiddly bit on the heel, the dog's ear (C&J Handgrade also have this), the fiddleback or the elongated last.

Superb quality no doubt, but they look over designed.

Alfred Sargent

Reaction score
Thanks for all the comments gentlemen. Our new website will be ready in September, until then we will continue featuring shoes that we have made for our clients and new styles on our blog.

Looking forward to meeting some of you in New York at Leffot again and San Francisco and Los Angeles for the first time (full itinerary is also detailed on the blog.)

Best,

Chay.

Grenadier

Reaction score
I just thought I would add that I have been working with Chay at Alfred Sargent on a couple MTO shoes and have found him to be most accommodating. There has been some confusion as to what size and fitting are appropriate, so try-ons are being made and shipped to me, at Alfred Sargent's expense, to make sure I get the best fit possible. Now that is customer service.

VRaivio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, men.

luk-cha: I wrote a detailed list to Chay and did not specify anything concerning stitchings. Maybe all shades close to whisky shell are made with stitches of this colour?

meister: I believe that spot is grease from the tip of my nose. I do love to smell my cordovans when new, Horween's vegetal tanning agents are pure bliss.

Ich_Dien: the brogueing is standard. At least I didn't specify it as anything different. What I noticed is that the smaller perforations aren't puched clearly through like all bigger ones.

rabiesinfrance: yes, I'm sad I didn't mark down that dog ear seam. I, too, do dislike them. Not a big thing, though, as these are covered by trous.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads