• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alfred Sargent Handgrade - Pictures

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

fullb

Reaction score
My AS Handgrade after wearing them about twenty times

2004D.jpg

Very comfortable and still beautiful.

Burton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by theyare
At 640GBP (including VAT, no trees) the current going rate of the AS Handgrade MTO, would I be better off going for G&G MTO for 75GBP more?

You have to actually like G+G for this to be true. If there is one thing that is true it is that SFers indulge in group think.

Burton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
New+AS+Handgrade+sole+004.jpg

To me this is fantastic. If you are interested in other things--there are many other threads here.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Burton
That is beneath you--I will say no more.

hey, it was ed. doesnt that mean something anymore?

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
don't insult st. crispins.

StC must be out of this world if they're markedly better than AS. Frankly I'd be scared to wear a shoe that good. nice trees but prices are steep

Originally Posted by fullb
My AS Handgrade after wearing them about twenty times

2004D.jpg

Very comfortable and still beautiful.

Beautiful? these are stunning.

No bevel? can't see it in this pic

Originally Posted by theyare
At 640GBP (including VAT, no trees) the current going rate of the AS Handgrade MTO, would I be better off going for G&G MTO for 75GBP more?

Depends on fit. Depends on lasts. Quality is similar, but Chay at AS tips the balance IMO, all other things being equal. Just a guy who loves shoes, knows shoes, and is happy to share. Feels like a common project with him. Other MTO services tend to be one way traffic.

You have to actually like G+G for this to be true. If there is one thing that is true it is that SFers indulge in group think.

Guilty as charged
laugh.gif
but I don't regret my foray into AS, not a bit.

New+AS+Handgrade+sole+004.jpg

To me this is fantastic. If you are interested in other things--there are many other threads here.

QFT indeed. makes me wonder tho' how far they can go without losing structural integrity. We canna defy the laws of physics Captain! and don't want to go Louis XVI

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pliny
StC must be out of this world if they're markedly better than AS. Frankly I'd be scared to wear a shoe that good. nice trees but prices are steep.

i didn't say this and ed is known for his "provocations", more or less.

they are very well made and their attention to detail is excellent. thanks eddie(medtech expat) for introducing me to this operation.

eddie quoted the price with € 690,- with the trees a one hundredish(cannot recall exactly) extra. cravate said, that you get a 20% discount with your initial order. i also understood that when you have the chance, like eddie, to visit their showroom they will not charge you for minor adjustments.

the trees are compareable to a vintage lobb bespoke example who found his way to me through our very own spoo p. they are really a piece of art and worth every penny.

imo, they are a fair bit more delicate than AS. this is more a question of the general philosophy/approaches, though

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fritzl
i didn't say this and ed is known for his "provocations", more or less.

they are very well made and their attention to detail is excellent. thanks eddie(medtech expat) for introducing me to this operation.

eddie quoted the price with € 690,- with the trees a one hundredish(cannot recall exactly) extra. cravate said, that you get a 20% discount with your initial order. i also understood that when you have the chance, like eddie, to visit their showroom they will not charge you for minor adjustments.

the trees are compareable to a vintage lobb bespoke example who found his way to me through our very own spoo p. they are really a piece of art and worth every penny.

imo, they are a fair bit more delicate than AS. this is more a question of the general philosophy/approaches, though

figured it was prob meant for a laugh from a man who loves his norwegers - Dincks even. I'm going off delicate. Less hair i have on top the more shoe I want on the bottom. Why can't all trees be like that? good for hot climates.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pliny
figured it was prob meant for a laugh from a man who loves his norwegers - Dincks even. I'm going off delicate. Less hair i have on top the more shoe I want on the bottom. Why can't all trees be like that? good for hot climates.

My comment was aesthetic more than construction. I have never held A&S handgrades and Nore's and the captoes above look great. My issue is that A&S do not seem to have a "personality". Look at the Leffot A&S shoes (not one there that I would wear). Are those English shoes?, Italian? English take on Italian? etc etc. St.Crispins is obviously a Astro Hungarian shoe. It's beautifully made and not pretentious. Edward Green are obviously English shoes. Again, beautifully made and unpretentious. A&S seems to be going in a weird direction but keep in mind that this is coming from a man that does not like musuem calf and its variants nor do I like the forum obsession with ever smaller beveled waist and higher heels. At the end of the day, it's your money and what I think is gorgeous is another man's disgusting. Just like with women.

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
My comment was aesthetic more than construction. I have never held A&S handgrades and Nore's and the captoes above look great. My issue is that A&S do not seem to have a "personality". Look at the Leffot A&S shoes (not one there that I would wear). Are those English shoes?, Italian? English take on Italian? etc etc. St.Crispins is obviously a Astro Hungarian shoe. It's beautifully made and not pretentious. Edward Green are obviously English shoes. Again, beautifully made and unpretentious. A&S seems to be going in a weird direction but keep in mind that this is coming from a man that does not like musuem calf and its variants nor do I like the forum obsession with ever smaller beveled waist and higher heels. At the end of the day, it's your money and what I think is gorgeous is another man's disgusting. Just like with women.

see what you mean for sure - some AS styles leave me
uhoh.gif
cold too - they're trying all sorts of stuff out i guess because they want to find a niche but also to push the envelope for its own sake, i don't think it's entirely about biz. and some of the guys doing the HG work may then take what they learn in another direction etc etc. I like that feeling of 'let's try this' at AS. and there's enough really good stuff there to excite me. then again my gorgeous is Divine and Leigh Bowery so...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 101 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads