• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Seph

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hi All,

We've been watching and learning from styleforum since we started Proper Cloth in 2008. Excited to finally be a sponsor!

At Proper Cloth, our specialty is men's custom dress shirts. We stock over 200 fabrics from renowned fabric mills such as Thomas Mason, Albini and Canclini. Our website makes it easy for clients to design their own shirts and fine tune their custom sizes.

We're a small team based in New York and have a showroom in Soho at 481 Broadway.

We'll be posting updates here and are happy to answer any questions!

Cheers,
Seph

Last edited by a moderator:

jungleroller

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Welcome Seph! I've been pleased with your services and fabrics for over a year now. I don't know how I lasted 10 years in the business world with frustratingly poor fitting off the rack options.

cheers.gif

ccallis

Reaction score
Hey guys,
My name is Chris and I've been working on product and visuals for Proper Cloth for about a year now. Wanted to introduce myself to the thread--happy to answer any product related questions you guys may have. We're always working on building out our designs and have been adding a few new product categories--ties, sterling accessories, tailored clothing (coming soon)--recently, as well.

I run the blog Men of Habit (www.menofhabit.com) if any of you are familiar with that. Looking forward to getting this thread going!

Cheers,
Chris

ccallis

Reaction score
Also,
We've been into popover shirts for a while now, but were never really able to find one that fit the way we liked. We started working on our own custom version months ago, and after a few rounds of design and sampling we finally had our perfect popover.

Our design has three buttons below the collar, a soft front placket, and a reinforced triangle finish. We designed ours with soft cutaway collars, but they can be made with any collar or cuff options.

We just launched them today--would love to get some feedback from you guys!

You can read a little more about our design inspiration and gets some tips on sizing measurements at the link below...
http://propercloth.com/popover

Last edited:

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You are also a kick-ass squash player, if I am not mistaken. Good luck to you.
Hey guys,
My name is Chris and I've been working on product and visuals for Proper Cloth for about a year now. Wanted to introduce myself to the thread--happy to answer any product related questions you guys may have. We're always working on building out our designs and have been adding a few new product categories--ties, sterling accessories, tailored clothing (coming soon)--recently, as well.

I run the blog Men of Habit (www.menofhabit.com) if any of you are familiar with that. Looking forward to getting this thread going!

Cheers,
Chris

dohare

Reaction score
Question:

Long-time user of moderntailor.com, pretty fed up with the ****-quality, looking to place an order with ProperCloth, the $85 white fabric you guys have.

My moderntailor measurements are pretty nailed down, had some questions about whether I'm better suited for the traditional or slim forearm? Would sending an email with the circumference of my forearm help? Looking to trim up the bicep from my moderntailor orders (they don't allow for quarter inches now and I'd be happy with a 7.75, instead of 8, 7.50 is too tight)

Also: any place I can see the various other types of collar types besides the english spread/londoner?

Last edited:

BrittanyPC

Reaction score
Hi there!

Our Classic White pinpoint fabric is a great place to start. If you prefer a wrinkle resistant fabric we have a similar pinpoint at $95 that I think you'll really like.

Our default style is the slim forearm which has one pleat in the sleeve. Our traditional forearm has two pleats and gives you about an inch more room through the elbow. If you are looking to trim up the bicep area I would suggest narrowing the sleeve width about .25" and going with the slim forearm fit. Please feel free to reach out to me directly at [email protected] and I'd be happy to help you set up a custom size with us :)

We offer a wide variety of collar styles - cutaways, spreads, button-downs, you name it! You can browse all of our styles in our collar gallery (link below). You can see how each style looks worn with a tie, open and buttoned-up. Please let me know if you have any questions about our styles! I look forward to work with you.

http://propercloth.com/collar-styles

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a couple questions that should be simple

1) Wat do the backs of your shirts look like? Side pleats? Box pleats? plain?

2) How does mailing you a shirt work? Should I design a shirt first, place the order and then mail it to you? I just want to make sure everything gets done right

Thank you very much! I am looking forward to trying this out. I am hopeful that your shirts will become a staple in my closet as I wean myself off of my Brooks Brothers shorts I have bought for the past few years...

Marc

ccallis

Reaction score
Hi Marc,

1) Our default is plain back on our shirts, but you can opt for either side pleats or a center box pleat when you create a size.

2) Mailing a shirt to replicate for fit is a great way to create your size. Just mail it in with a note that includes your email address and we'll create your size. Once the size is created, you can pick fabric, design details, then place your order.

Don't hesitate to reach out to [email protected] if you have any further questions--hope I gave you the answers you were looking for!

Cheers,
Chris

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you Chris. If i mail you a shirt with side pleats but I would like a shirt with a plain back, will you be able to adjust and do that no problem?

Again, I am looking forward to working with your company!

Thank you

Marc

kayhill

Reaction score
Question:

Long-time user of moderntailor.com, pretty fed up with the ****-quality, looking to place an order with ProperCloth, the $85 white fabric you guys have.

Funnily enough I've just done a comparative review of a bunch of online MTM shirt makers -- including Proper Cloth -- and the shirt I got from them was that $85 white oxford. You can read the review here.

Good to see Proper Cloth on Styleforum. Some very good workmanship compared to other makers.

ccallis

Reaction score

Thank you Chris. If i mail you a shirt with side pleats but I would like a shirt with a plain back, will you be able to adjust and do that no problem?

Again, I am looking forward to working with your company!

Thank you

Marc

Hi Marc,
Yes we'll be able to do a shirt with a plain back easily. Just include that in your note and you'll be good to go!
Cheers,
Chris

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads