• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Hard Working Suit

Satiar

Reaction score
I find myself in need a suit capable of taking a severe amount of working. I've recently taken on a sales position that involves quite a bit of physical activity: running up and down stairs, carrying heavy objects and a general need for lots of mobility.

The question being, is there a particular sort of material that is best suited to this? Am I best served with a typical wool suit, or would a different material such as cotton be better for this environment? I just can't bring myself to get a cheap spandex/polyester/cotton/wool blend, I don't like the look or the feel-- or the durability for that matter.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get a heavy wool suit, just not paper-thin luxury fabric, it all depends how much you can pay.

Satiar

Reaction score
I'm willing to invest between 600-700 per suit, for two suits I can rotate. In that sort of price range, are there any brands you could suggest?

Ivar

Reaction score
I'd try out a medium-weight wool suit. Definitely not cotton.

Hayward

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It will wrinkle like crazy.

You might take a look at Rohan's Envoy separates, and then have them altered by a local tailor.

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did you accept a job as an Enterprise Rent-A-Car sales person? From what I've heard, your description fits the position. Have fun washing cars in a suit, lol.

To answer your question, wool is probably your best bet. If you can find wrinkle-free and stain-resistant, you'll be in business. Jos A Bank makes a line with those qualities, but I don't like their cut or price.

Satiar

Reaction score

Did you accept a job as an Enterprise Rent-A-Car sales person? From what I've heard, your description fits the position. Have fun washing cars in a suit, lol.

To answer your question, wool is probably your best bet. If you can find wrinkle-free and stain-resistant, you'll be in business. Jos A Bank makes a line with those qualities, but I don't like their cut or price.

Ha, not quite. I started doing Women's Shoes at Nordstrom. Fairly fast-paced environment. My time there has been full of ... exertions, to say the least. Lots of carrying, need tons of motion and something that's not going to wear out fast from contact with the floor.

At any rate, I'm getting the image that med-to-heavy wool is the way to go. I appreciate the advice. No one in my immediate are carries those, but that's probably because I'm mall shopping. Perhaps a retailer in downtown Seattle will have something for a median price that's not wholly awful.

Satiar

Reaction score
I know, right? I'll have to look into some of the larger branches in my area, my own store and online options don't have anything that fits a guy with my frame (in the style and price I like). Well... there's always Topman, but I just can't make myself wear polyester.

Putonghua73

Reaction score
Don't listen to these fools! Working with womens shoes, helping them [women] to fulfil a need by slipping a heel on their (hopefully) dainty, exquisite feet.

Opportunities to fulfil another 'need' of theirs.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Helping women to chose shoes is probably harder than studying tax law, women are very weird creature when it comes to shoes.

sullivan025

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
A wool suit is ideal since it breathes well and very durable perfect for a busy lifestyles.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads