• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can this orphaned suit jacket still work as odd jacket/sport coat?

stylecounsel1

Reaction score
I saw this zzengna jacket on offer and mistook it for a chino sport coat. It did not appear obvious to me it was orphaned from a suit. It has patch pockets, no breast pocket, no cuff buttons and is unstructured with no padding. The fabric is very thin and luxurious cotton/wool blend and up close looks like a fine cotton twill/chino with a dusty effect.

Curious whether it should have buttons, I searched the product code and discovered it was part of a suit:
Note though that the model is not wearing a conventional tie or shoes!

I like the jacket and it fits ok and feels lovely on, but i'm not sure how well it pairs with other trousers because the light weight and luxuriousness coupled with the more casual features.

I have taken photos with denim, chinos and smart charcoal suit trousers, (not sure if the jacket works that well with shirt/tie either).

Please help me out with your opinions as I am learning and don't want to look like the orphaned suit guy but maybe it's OK? Any advice on what to wear with it? If it is just wrong then I can still return if i'm quick.

Thanks (nb will shorten sleeves if I keep it)

Last edited:

stylecounsel1

Reaction score
I thought it might help to post a couple of pics buttoned up:

I think the texture is quite silky and dressy but the style is not so formal. It has looks like it has high button stance if that matters? Perhaps there are contrasting trousers that go well with it? Or maybe I am not confident enough to judge for myself.. There is zero chance of finding the matching trousers my size.

stylecounsel1

Reaction score
Thanks. That's good news. And a relief as I thought I made a blunder.

It seems there are obvious sport coats and blazers meant to stand alone and obvious suits that cannot be separated. But there are also things in between where it is not always clear - like this one.

Given the unusual details, even with the shirt and tie the overall look seems unfamiliar to me for a smart "suit" but the charcoal nailhead trousers looked better than I expected with it (they are similar in weight but differ in texture).

I think the design looks intended to be flashy / dressy but casual for going out / social situations rather than a conventional suit / business situation so perhaps the rules are less strict?

I will need to experiment a little to see what works with it. Maybe lighter fabric trousers or very smart jeans / chinos. Any suggestions are welcome.

Sreezy36

Supporting Member
Reaction score
@stylecounsel1 looks good to me as well. The jacket has more than enough casual/rustic features pass as a sports jacket. If you want to be safe, you can swap out the buttons offer more contrast in an earth tone.

stylecounsel1

Reaction score
I got this check suit. It is retail quality (synthetics with a little wool) but has bemberg lining. Despite the fabric composition which i'm a bit dubious about, I liked the colour/pattern and it feels very soft a bit like flannel. I have the matching trousers for this one but was thinking the jacket might be usable as an odd jacket?

The fabric is mid weight and soft and patterned and has contrasting buttons. However, it also has peak lapels and slightly slanted pockets (which seem more suit like). The fabric reminds me a bit of denim so would it go with some dark jeans or chinos?

Any opinions about the suit in general are also wecome e.g. taste wise as it is the first one I bought with a big pattern and hope it is not too loud / travelling salesman looking?

Attachments

• jack1.JPG
    jack1.JPG
    264.9 KB · Views: 182
  • closeup.JPG
    closeup.JPG
    389.5 KB · Views: 183

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads