• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ (a.k.a. I shouldn't have slept on it)

DeSense

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Whoever bought grey/blue/brown Formosa in 48, shoot me a note if you are thinking of returning. Been waiting for months to buy and it was gone before I could pull the trigger

Consider the 50 (if still in) given the slimmer measurements?

europrep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Consider the 50 (if still in) given the slimmer measurements?

Tried on the 48 in NYC and it was perfect. Email notification set and fingers crossed

hrv123

Reaction score
Given the season to season variation in sizing with Formosa, I've been hesitant to preorder in the past. I know that consistency is difficult to obtain in handmade clothing, but I'd hate to drop $2000 on a non-refundable preorder and then have the garment not fit the same as a previous season's garment. Is there anyway around this, especially given the direction you're taking with tailoring being increasingly pre-order based?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even bespoke cut from my individual pattern will not fit exactly the same from one jacket to the next. There are so many tensile property and weaving variations from cloth to cloth that expecting exactly the same fit is futile.

I pre-order and get the same size in Formosa (and Eidos) every single time - while they all feel a little different, it's never warranted a change of size for me.

I don't think pre-orders, custom orders and MTO are for everyone. It's a personality thing. That's why we carry RTW as well

Last edited:

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Given the season to season variation in sizing with Formosa, I've been hesitant to preorder in the past. I know that consistency is difficult to obtain in handmade clothing, but I'd hate to drop $2000 on a non-refundable preorder and then have the garment not fit the same as a previous season's garment. Is there anyway around this, especially given the direction you're taking with tailoring being increasingly pre-order based?

Yup. Wait for the drop and beat everyone else.

lagsun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Received two orders this week. First are Rota pre-order garment-dyed cotton/linen trousers with higher rise and side tabs. These are my first Rotas so fortunately they fit well and only need slight tailoring in the waist and length. The Buttero's on final sale took a more circuitous route to Northern California. They were original sent to a customer with the same name in Southern Cal, who then had to ship them up to me. This isn't the first time as it happened before with a different vendor.

Man with Apple

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Received two orders this week. First are Rota pre-order garment-dyed cotton/linen trousers with higher rise and side tabs. These are my first Rotas so fortunately they fit well and only need slight tailoring in the waist and length. The Buttero's on final sale took a more circuitous route to Northern California. They were original sent to a customer with the same name in Southern Cal, who then had to ship them up to me. This isn't the first time as it happened before with a different vendor.
I love those Butteros. Own a pair myself and they get a ton of wear in the summer. So good. Here are the Heschung Frene's I picked up. Was really excited about these, especially given the price, and they far exceeded expectations. Still a few sizes left, and at under $250 are a steal.

CHRK33

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@gdl203, am I right to assume that you won't be stocking 50L any longer in Formosa? I didn't see any off the rack for the summer offering, so just wondering if I need to plan to just go the pre-order route. Thanks!

capnMURPHY2021

Reaction score
Are these being restocked? FWIW I've got 34's...I love the cut, roomy but slight taper below the knee. I do use a belt and could probably go down a size but don't want to lose the proportion I get with 34 (which is more or less my actual size). I would love to get a pair of the Type 3 in a washed black someday.

Second this question -- are the Geller Type 3 5-year fades being restocked?

DeSense

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I will buy up the whole size range and then sell off individually for a healthy profit.

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ahhh...the dreaded delivery exception email. The snowstorm wasn't that bad was it? My tracking went from scheduled for delivery today to "information unavailable." Guess I'll have to wait for my NR pre-order and 2 pairs of Buttero.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was quite crippling actually. It was not so much the amount of snow but the slushiness and then freezing of snow. Roads in the city are still a bit of a mess. Traffic is unbearably slow

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads