• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ (a.k.a. I shouldn't have slept on it)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thing is cool.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'd been circling that one. But I have a ton of outwear bought/on the way.. Are you planning on leaving the collar as is, or propping it up? I can't tell if the collar is too big to prop up..

I'm not much one for popping collars, so I'll definitely be leaving it as is.

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Does anyone here routinely wear suspenders?

I've always turned away from them, visualizing Larry King. But some pictures I've seen, they do look cool in the right circumstance on younger dudes.

Thinking of maybe trying 'em out one day.

I wear them frequently.

Last edited:

TtownMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That is how I would probably approach wearing them.

I'm curious as to what inspires you to wear them. The degree of formality of the event?

Just for formality & fun & to change things up. But I would agree with you age & how you look is a big factor at least in my humble opinion it's not for every one.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is how I would probably approach wearing them.

I'm curious as to what inspires you to wear them. The degree of formality of the event?

Suspenders are underwear and not meant to be seen, at least not really. Every pair of bespoke trousers I own are suspenders-only. They are all high-rise and a belt would be wrong, both visually and practically, and I dislike side-adjuster tabs. If you wear suspenders correctly, at some point you realize that you haven't hitched up your trousers in a while, unlike when wearing a belt.

It has nothing to do with formality of an event and everything to do with how I want my trousers to look.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agreed with Andy, though I don't like the idea that they can never/rarely be seen, and would certainly not equate then with actual underwear. I know this is the traditionally held view of them, but I think it's fair to say that is an outdated one.

Note: that said, one should NEVER wear them sans jacket as an outfit. I will often pop my jacket off once I've been in the office for a bit (thus suspenders will naturally show), but I'd never start the day with suspenders and no jacket.

Last edited:

FLW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Agreed with Andy, though I don't like the idea that they can never/rarely be seen, and would certainly not equate then with actual underwear. I know this is the traditionally held view of them, but I think it's fair to say that is an outdated one.

Note: that said, one should NEVER wear them sans jacket as an outfit. I will often pop my jacket off once I've been in the office for a bit (thus suspenders will naturally show), but I'd never start the day with suspenders and no jacket.
This is all sage advice and generally correlates to when I wear them. My suspender-reqdy trousers tend to be slightly more formal (don't think I've ever worn them with cottons or tweed) and higher rise.

Oh, and when I wear snuff suede or museum calf shoes- which seem to be a ***** to match properly with belts.

The comfort difference is off the charts. Belts were a step backward on that front.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads