• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

These Colors Don't Run: raw denims that just refuse to break.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by xchen
I think you got a raw pair. From the pics whodini posted they seem fairly resistant to extreme fading. I am considering getting a pair but my APCs are starting to fade more and more every day so I think I am going to try and keep the fades going for another several months.

mine are like his, from the wacky sizing days with no stitching but the little cursive RRL on the corner of the back right pocket. We'll see.

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PBJ AI-001 fades verrrrrrrrrrrry slowly

jacksonr

Reaction score
My RRLs (red selvage line, same stitching as yours) are barely faded after 1.5 years. They fit pretty loose and I haven't worn them that hard though.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
my oris are taking a long time. I've worn them since early january and there isn't a whole lot of fade. maybe i should bike on the weekends like ryu.

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been wearing my RRL's for about amonth, there is absolutely no signs of fading whatsoever... my are the $395 retail wacky downsize 5 ones... i believe in a one wash since they were sort of soft, but there is no predistressing

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by constant struggle
I've been wearing my RRL's for about amonth, there is absolutely no signs of fading whatsoever... my are the $395 retail wacky downsize 5 ones... i believe in a one wash since they were sort of soft, but there is no predistressing
RRL is always sanforized so yeah, they're OW. RRL is a genuine beast. If you run a search for the "RRL fit" thread you'll see the evolution from start to finish. I pretty much had to wear them every single day for 6 months straight and then almost every single day for another 3-4 months to get my pair where it is now.

BrettChaotix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My acne max raws were a ***** to break but they finally did. After about 8 months, worn 75% of the time, I finally hot-soaked them. It brought out a little fading but not much.

I wore them exclusively for about a month after and noticed the top-block and behind-knees fades really starting to kick in.

Then I wore them while walking around NYC in the pouring rain for 5 hours last week and they really started to break. I actually have a few fades from my keys and along the hem and inseam (where you legs touch when you walk) that are starting to become almost white :-D

bomber

Reaction score
4 months of wear isn't that much. I didn't see much on my last pair of sams at the 4 month mark and they are known for fading fairly quickly. Wait until the one year point...

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BrettChaotix
My acne max raws were a ***** to break but they finally did. After about 8 months, worn 75% of the time, I finally hot-soaked them. It brought out a little fading but not much.

I wore them exclusively for about a month after and noticed the top-block and behind-knees fades really starting to kick in.

Then I wore them while walking around NYC in the pouring rain for 5 hours last week and they really started to break. I actually have a few fades from my keys and along the hem and inseam (where you legs touch when you walk) that are starting to become almost white :-D

My experience with most of my denim is that the fastest and most visible fading tends to happen for a few weeks after a wash (or serious soaking of any sort, including rain), almost like the wash "loosens" the indigo on the jeans. Joel_Cairo, if the RRLs are heavily-dyed and pretty colorfast, you could always try the Ryu method and wash them semi-frequently in cold water with minimal agitation--how frequently depends on how hard you wear them, of course. If you're logging miles of biking or walking a day, plus hard wear on the weekends (hiking, skating, whatever), you could probably wash once a month or so (which is what Ryu did with those famous Eternals) and see good results. If you're like me and you log maybe 5 miles/day of walking and not much else in your jeans, maybe once every three months or so. Etc.

AK47AZ

Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoe
how long will it take to fade out KMW rockers with good wear?
I have 1980's that I wore for 6 months before washing, not much other than light combing, honeycombs, and creases. I then wore them for a few more months and then just recently washed them like 3 times at 9 months to get the smell out, now they are faded very nicely and look great. They still have alot more fading to do thats for sure, and they are holding up great. Size 31/34 (should have gone to 30 but wasnt told by salesgirl that they would stretch so much) These pics are BEFORE I washed 3 times, so this is one wash, one boil soak, and some rinses, hang dry only. They are more faded now and fit slightly better since I have washed them 3 more times and put in dryer on low heat for while then hung dry. Will post more recent pics soon. I am 5'10 150 lbs and these are size 31/34

Mr. Potato

Reaction score
My SD-103 and I will be celebrating our first anniversary a month from now. Barely any fading other than the knee cap and back pocket area. There will be no cake.

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My capital E's are taking forever to fade. after about 5 months of wearing them about 3-4 days a week they still aren't doing much.

dimshum

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AK47AZ
I have 1980's that I wore for 6 months before washing, not much other than light combing, honeycombs, and creases. I then wore them for a few more months and then just recently washed them like 3 times at 9 months to get the smell out, now they are faded very nicely and look great. They still have alot more fading to do thats for sure, and they are holding up great.

Mind posting some pics?

DeadDJ

Reaction score
Here are some KMW 1980 MIJ from a guy that works at or helps run Context. I don't know how long they took (PM'ed, waiting for reply) but from other things he's said (on 2/2/07 he said he'd had them 5 months and the pictures were posted on 4/1/08 from an old photoshoot) I'd guess 7 months of hard wear. From everything I've heard, he must've been brutal because the entire Kicking Mule Workshop thread on SuFu says nothing except that they hardly fade at all. http://supertalk.superfuture.com/sho...&postcount=409 I won't really be able to afford them unless Context has a flash sale over the summer to prep for their Fall stock like they did last year. I will pray, though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads