• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What TV Series Are You Streaming Lately?

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did any of y'all have issues getting into Shogun? I'm 3 episodes in and I'm extraordinarily ambivalent about it, which is frustrating because I WANT to love it. Not a fan of the Blackthorne actor in any way whatsoever thus far
My only issue is that my wife and I started watching it together, but she hasn't wanted to watch it recently. Obviously, I'm not allowed to watch it without her, because that would mean I'm a monster and want a divorce.

But otherwise, I enjoyed the show right from the start.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My only issue is that my wife and I started watching it together, but she hasn't wanted to watch it recently. Obviously, I'm not allowed to watch it without her, because that would mean I'm a monster and want a divorce.

Made it through the end of Fallout yesterday. Took me until now for similar reasons...wife can't really watch more than one at a time and needs a palate cleanser afterwards due to all of the over the top video game violence/gore.

Good stuff though. The games were never really on my radar, but I can tell there's a lot of interesting story to play with there.

Also made me excited for Silo S2 (very vault-like), but that's not coming until 2025 given production wrapped a month ago.

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We resubscribed to Apple, so maybe I'll give Silo a shot. Generally, sci-fi is a hard pass for the wife, so I'm free to watch whatever I like in that category.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We resubscribed to Apple, so maybe I'll give Silo a shot. Generally, sci-fi is a hard pass for the wife, so I'm free to watch whatever I like in that category.
You're golden...

Anal Intruder 9: The Butt from Another Planet​

IMDb RATING

8.1/10

YOUR RATING

Rate
AdultSci-Fi
A pair of outer-space aliens land on Earth and plot to take over the planet, and their scheme involves having ******** with every woman they can find.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Silo might get around on that (but hey, you can also watch it without her and not tell her that). Leans way more on the Dystopian Mystery side of things than the actual SciFi elements. It is certainly no Star Wars with aliens, space ships, lasers, etc.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
I was so-so on the first Silo novel and didn't read the rest of the series. Seemed like it leaned hard on keeping stuff mysterious that was actually pretty obvious.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can't believe I'm just getting around to watching Band of Brothers originally released in 2001. This WWII series is impressive with the way the (true) story is crafted, including brief interviews with actual soldiers, the change in focus on people and situations in each episode, scenery and cinematography. So well done.

brokencycle

Reaction score
Can't believe I'm just getting around to watching Band of Brothers originally released in 2001. This WWII series is impressive with the way the (true) story is crafted, including brief interviews with actual soldiers, the change in focus on people and situations in each episode, scenery and cinematography. So well done.

It is probably the best TV Series ever done. IMDB has it at #4 behind Breaking Bad, Planet Earth, and Planet Earth 2. I haven't seen the Planet Earths series, but Band of Brothers is much better than Breaking Bad, and I really liked Breaking Bad.

Oswald Cornelius

Reaction score
I'm certain weirdness is coming. I'm caught up and they haven't laid the full reveal on us yet but I have a sense I know where it's going (no spoilers but it's not about the case Sugar is working.) If it goes there I'm out. Plus, we're at episode 5/8 so that leaves 3 more episodes this season for them to resolve (or not) what they're hinting at and then it'll be a year or two before there's another season to flesh it out.
Re: Sugar on Apple TV: At the end of episode six it finally went exactly where I thought it was going. Someone please post a reminder so I can resubscribe to Apple when the next season of Slow Horses drops...

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It is probably the best TV Series ever done. IMDB has it at #4 behind Breaking Bad, Planet Earth, and Planet Earth 2. I haven't seen the Planet Earths series, but Band of Brothers is much better than Breaking Bad, and I really liked Breaking Bad.
Has the advantage of being a miniseries though which makes it a harder comparison.

Ultimately long-run shows have to make concessions to the format (although exactly what that means is changing in the streaming/binging era). IMHO, some of those things are good when it relates to a medium that is meant to entertain over a long period of time, generate lasting emotional bonds, and open up points for discussion. But they can also detract from the pure artform of telling a story.

Breaking Bad kept it pretty tight, shorter seasons and a lack of "filler", but you still experienced the story over a 5 year period (excluding spinoffs), which impacts the cadence and storytelling, but also affects how you capture and engage an audience. You need to pace things within a season, you need to provide certain levels of continuity, etc.

Band of Brothers only had to make it through 10 episodes (or really 9 since 1 and 2 were aired back to back) and with a somewhat less complex narrative structure.

Also, I just saw this combined chronological viewing order: https://www.reddit.com/r/Mastersoft...e_combined_running_order_of_band_of_brothers/

I haven't seen The Pacific yet, but it would be interesting to watch everything in order. Do think it would detract from BoB though and would never suggest something like that for a first viewing since part of the magic is the tight cast/storyline.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was so-so on the first Silo novel and didn't read the rest of the series. Seemed like it leaned hard on keeping stuff mysterious that was actually pretty obvious.

Interesting to see you you say that. We've been listening to the audiobook on some road trips after having watched the show...we just made it to the *just* before the end of S1 of the show
Paused it after Jules got suited up and the doors to the silo are about to open--were almost at our destination and figured we'd save the "new" part of the story for our next long drive

While I have the benefit of knowing what happens, I found the book to be FAR less subtle than the show. I'm not going to say you couldn't make pretty good guesses about what was going on in the show, but in the book a lot of things were basically spelled out for you. Things that might have been subtle foreshadowing on TV just seemed obvious--like they'd repeat it a second time and draw extra attention to it just to make sure you didn't miss the clue. If anything, the characters are figuring it out AFTER the reader.

Curious to see @patrick_b's take as I believe he also watched the show first and then went all the way through the book series via audiobook. Unfortunately I can't yet comment on the second half of book 1, but honestly I think the TV writers improved the narrative structure. Some of the elements they added helped keep the mystery alive and made it more compelling (but again, I don't yet know how the book ends)

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I haven't seen The Pacific yet, but it would be interesting to watch everything in order. Do think it would detract from BoB though and would never suggest something like that for a first viewing since part of the magic is the tight cast/storyline.

I recommend you reading With the Old Breed, which this series is based on.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
garrendavid777