• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

These Colors Don't Run: raw denims that just refuse to break.

what2wear

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stazy
I never seem to get those long diagonal fades. Any idea why not?
Try sitting cross-legged, and yeah, your jeans have to be a little loose in the thighs.

skunkworks

Reaction score
Over/under on datasupa responding?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
When I saw this thread title I immediately thought of my RRLs (2nd/3rd gen? no hidden rivets or RRL stitched on pocket). Coincidentally I took pics the other day right before their first wash (in my care - they were rinsed or washed before I got them). I was going to take pics after, but they pretty much look exactly the same. I've had these for... well, since I bought them from skalogre: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=26393 and I've worn them hundreds of times including quite a few overnights and 2000 miles in 10 days pretty much the whole time on a motorcycle trip, not to mention thousands of other miles before and since. I have not taken it easy on these except to avoid doing overly messy greasy/oily type work in them.

The only discernable wear is a little nick through the left back pocket from my phone vs. some concrete, a little fading at the knees and wallet, and where my knife and now-lost Dunhill lighter rubbed together at the coin pocket. I did a very hot soak of the waist/seat region to shrink it some, since it had gotten roomy, which worked okay, then washed them with Woolite in lukewarm water and let them drip dry. Anyway, here are pics of before:

rrl2qu2.jpg

rrl1lm0.jpg

rrl3vk3.jpg

rrl5yi7.jpg

rrl4oq7.jpg

Bonus pic since it was in the same directory:

monicain2.jpg

These jeans are just indestructible. I'm kind of glad they aren't fading because they are my "dressiest" pair and they look amazing and I guess, will keep looking amazing for a really long time.

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skunkworks
Over/under on datasupa responding?

Besides a host of snide comments, I've yet to see a post thats adds anything beneficial to a thread... I would bet his pride is too large to admit an erroneous comment.

DeadDJ

Reaction score
^ I think he's hilarious, glad he decided to jump over from SuFu.

I thought the diagonal lines were from pinching, too. Extremely sharp creases in unusual areas with extra fading compared to the rest? Seems like a reasonable assertion to me. To be fair, I have seen that kind of diagonal fade before but never anything similar to that.

J: Monica Belluci?
worship.gif
. That's for her not you, Glorious Leader.

ctrlaltelite

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoe
how long will it take to fade out KMW rockers with good wear?

i've been wearing my rockers for about three months now, and there's already some honeycombing and whiskering, definite indigo loss as well, it's pronounced in the knee areas but definitely noticeable where the whiskering occurs, probably because i bike in them all the time. i've also got them totally waterlogged because i got caught biking in the rain during my morning commute, but it didn't seem to affect anything dramatically, all in all, i'm surprised i'm able to see results as fast as i have.

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stazy
I never seem to get those long diagonal fades. Any idea why not?

You're not using enough sandpaper.

Ha ha.

I just did a big raw denim wash where I put my APC Rescues (first air of raw denim, now three years old (wow) and so far my best jeans -- perfect fit with a great fade) in with newer two year old Samurais (cold soaked once, washed once) and one year old Full Counts (cold soaked once). The two newer pairs have seen a lot of wear in terms of hours, but my activities are generally pretty mundane -- no skydiving, rock climbing, or trapeze artistry for me.

Anyway, I am finally starting to see good results in the Samurais. I'vw got a nice fade going in front although the honeycombs are a bi disappointing.

The Full Counts are a *****. Fading is pretty minimal. After this wash I can start to see some of the character in the denim, but it's going to take a while to get out. Not to mention the fact that they are tight as **** on my and I'm not sure my nuts will survive re-breaking them in after this wash. Also of note, their construction quality is really poor next to the Sammies.

AK47AZ

Reaction score
J those look nice.. are they black?

Has anyone ever taken an older faded pair of jeans and washed them with never-before-washed jeans to get the new pair to bleed its indigo out on the older pair and darken them up? Does it work?

Monte, I was kind of disappointed with my honeycombs after washing also, they soften up in that area and don't cinch as easy as raw denim, after some more months of wear they will get the creases back and get more prominent honeycombs.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AK47AZ

Has anyone ever taken an older faded pair of jeans and washed them with never-before-washed jeans to get the new pair to bleed its indigo out on the older pair and darken them up? Does it work?

That might work if you were to take the new jeans, turn them inside out, and put the old jeans inside them, so that dark side of each pair was overlapping as much as possible. There's still probably not enough spare dye in the new pair to affect the color of the old pair, though.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I don't think much of it would stick. The indigo that comes off jeans washes away pretty easily.

They are kind of blue-black and have indigo warnings on the tag. I'm not sure what the process was exactly but you can see they look normal inside (i.e. not overdyed).

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
**** THIS THREAD MONICA BEELUCI IS HOT
inlove.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads