• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Worsted Tweed"?

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Recently, I read an account of a man who was seen wearing a "worsted tweed" suit. What is "worsted tweed"? Does it even exist--it sounds like a contradiction in terms to me? Or am I merely displaying my sartorial ignorance? Perhaps the author meant a "faux tweed" like Porter & Harding's "Glorious Twelfth" (now discontinued, I believe)* or Hardy's Alsport. Anyway, can some knowledgeable personage please enlighten me?

*Update, just realized that it was the "Solway" collection that got the axe (IIRC), not the somewhat heavier Glorious Twelfth.

Last edited:

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Recently, I read an account of a man who was seen wearing a "worsted tweed" suit. What is "worsted tweed"? Does it even exist--it sounds like a contradiction in terms to me? Or am I merely displaying my sartorial ignorance? Perhaps the author meant a "faux tweed" like Porter & Harding's "Glorious Twelfth" (now discontinued, I believe) or Hardy's Alsport. Anyway, can some knowledgeable personage please enlighten me?

Probably just means a tweed with a 'hard' finish, such that the wool isn't quite so hairy and loosely woven.

I have a tweed jacket like this which was made in London - a nice brown herringbone, but from a distance looks almost like worsted. The cloth isn't necessarily any lighter for having a smoother finish.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
to me, colloquially, tweed typically refers to a woolen-spun yarn made up in a twill pattern weave

BUT in reality most *woolen spun* yarns are actually semi worsted, a true woolen spun is quite directionless in terms of how the fiber is arranged in the single and these days rare. there is still hand-spun and a handful of spinning mules in operation but the vast majority will be something between a woolen and a worsted yarn.

worsted yarn is combed to be highly and uniformly directional between carding and spinning, during spinning the air is pushed out of the twist, and so is yes harder n chatoyant etc (think ropier)

i have had older, likely british, sporting type cloths (wool fiber) that i'd have no problem calling worsted tweed, especially if left un-napped etc. $.02!

Last edited:

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Worsted Alsport and Alsport are two different things. The former is “worsted tweed”.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Porter & Harding “glorious twelfth” book is also worsted tweed. These cloths are often considered city tweeds since they are lighter and smoother than their country brethren, but maintain similar colors and patterns...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads